NUD custom tenor gypsy jazz style uke from Bruce Wei.

KohanMike

Los Angeles, Beverly Grove West
UU VIP
Reaction score
I just received the first of two custom ukes I ordered from Bruce Wei in Vietnam, and I have to say, this uke is really damn good, I'm very glad I ordered it.

It's a gypsy jazz style inspired by the Selmer/Maccaferri "Grande Bouche" guitar that was used by Django Reinhardt in the late 30s-early 40s (he only had three fingers on his fret hand). It's made of a solid curly maple top, solid Indian rosewood body, solid walnut neck, rosewood rosette and binding, and he even added a light color purfling with the binding which I didn't even request.

It's really beautiful in person with it's glossy finish. The build quality and seam work are really clean and solid. The bridge is custom made with holes that guide the strings to the hand carved tailpiece that matches the style of the Selmer/Maccaferri. The bridge was inspired by an old uke I saw hanging on the wall of McCabe's. I also asked him to make space under the saddle so I could install a pickup and preamp/tuner.

My over-all experience with Bruce was very good. He always responds to my emails quickly, and his English is fine (not like Simon from East-Start). Of the five builders I contacted about a gypsy uke, he responded immediately with a digital drawing of the uke, no one else did, one builder never got back to me at all. Bruce's price was half of the others, and he did it in less then half the time.

I'm extremely happy with the way it came out, the sound is very good, and I know over time it will get better. Next on the agenda is a gloss black, pearl binding mandolele with pearl fret inlay (see below, my submission design).

Just to reiterate from my last Bruce Wei post, those ready made ukes listed on his eBay site are not the good build quality of his custom ukes, don't judge his custom work by the work of those other builders who sell on his eBay site. Also, the builder on his site who made the cheapest and lowest quality ukes no longer sells on Bruce's site, that builder now uses a separate eBay site.

Here are photos and a quick sound sample (of my poor playing). I'm open for questions and further information.

Gypsy me.jpg

[video]http://www.kohanmike.com/uploads/Audio No Pressure.m4a[/video]
[video]http://www.kohanmike.com/uploads/Audio Truman Sleeps.m4a[/video]

Next one coming, gloss black mandolele with pearl binding:
Mandolele black.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks guys. Can't wait for the next one, and I'm corresponding with him now about a custom u-bass. I love UAS.

Looks and sounds very good! I am Happy for you that it worked out.

Stunning uke Mike. Glad it worked out for you in the end

It's amazing. Great tribute design and fantastic execution. Mr Wei is clearly someone we must consider when thinking about having a custom uke made.

Wow Mike, that looks and sounds great. The fit and finish appear excellent. Your faith in a Bruce Wei was justified. Gypsy jazz ukes are pretty cool. Enjoyed your sound samples.

Let us know how it's sound develops over time.

I do have a couple questions. Is the neck bolted on? How is the weight, compared to your other ukes?

Last edited:
Looks very nice and I'm glad you like it!

Gorgeous, hope the setup is as good as the overall appearance. I could be coerced into getting one of those! Go ahead, coerce me..........please! LOL
Wonder if he'd do one in concert size. My guess is probably not, but you never know.

Is the neck bolted on? How is the weight, compared to your other ukes?

I don't think the neck is bolted, but I can ask Bruce. The uke is well balanced, not heavy at all.

Gorgeous, hope the setup is as good as the overall appearance. I could be coerced into getting one of those! Go ahead, coerce me..........please! LOL Wonder if he'd do one in concert size. My guess is probably not, but you never know.

Setup is very good, I asked him to lower the action a little. He will build anything you want, I'm in the process of working up a u-bass with him to the exact size I ask, cutaway, 18 frets (Kala U-Bass has 16), 21" scale (Kala is 20"), 31" overall so it will still fit in a baritone gig bag (Kala is 29"). In fact, the black mandolele that's coming, I asked to make the body true tenor size, and he did down to the millimeter.

Congrats on the new uke!

Thanks Dan. Since I saw you yesterday, I meant to email you that I received it, but I kept getting distracted, mainly by this uke. It's not as detailed as yours, but it sure sounds good, and very pretty in it's simpler way.

I sent Bruce an email about 2 weeks ago. Haven't heard from him. Glad he does good work and hope he eventually gets back to me.

The first time I sent him an email, he never answered. When I tried again I think I used a different address. Now he responds very quickly. I'll PM you the address I use.

Neglected to mention the price, the gypsy style was $780 including shipping (was going to be $750 with a standard mandolin tailpiece, he charged me $30 to make the Selmer/Maccaferri style). The gloss black mandolele is $420 including shipping.

Last edited:
Top Bottom