R.I.P. Johnny Winter

Luke El U

Reaction score
Didn't know until now that he started out on uke, as did his brother.
I wonder how many other famous guitarists started on uke.image.jpg

Big Amen for Johnny.

Didn't know until now that he started out on uke, as did his brother.
I wonder how many other famous guitarists started on uke.View attachment 69071

rip.
eric clapton i think started on uke, and harrison quite possibly and i think the dude from
queen brian may is that his name? seems like there is many who started on uke.
Now were seeing more guitarists converting (like myself) i wonder how i would be if i started
with uke first hmm.

He played the 'Blues In Hell' festival in Norway a couple of years ago. I watched the show from the side stage, about five meters away from him. He was frail, but he played like a monster. The man deserves nothing but the deepest respect; for musicianship, stamina, entertainment and pure soul. A true master.

I saw he has a new album coming out in Sept.?

Johnny was a master of electric blues slide. Saw him locally last winter, and he was still rocking!

rip.
eric clapton i think started on uke, and harrison quite possibly and i think the dude from
queen brian may is that his name?
That would be Brian May. He even used it on one Queen track ('Good company' on the Night at the Opera album).

In fact, most of the British rock guitarists of the 1960s and 1970s started out on ukuleles or banjo ukuleles. Steve Marriott of the Small Faces, Gerry Marsden of Pacemakers fame, Jimmy Page, Hank Marvin. In the UK in those days, the ukulele either in it's banjo shape or with a wooden soundbox, seemed a very common Household instrument. In the US, much less, save for the Winter brothers, most rock guitarists of that generation started out directly on guitars.

Top Bottom