Kala tenor guitar out in sept

iamesperambient

Reaction score
https://www.facebook.com/KalaBrandMusic?fref=photo

"NAMM UPDATE: Stop by booth #1115 and play the new 2014 Kala Tenor Guitar.
Available at Authorized Kala Dealers this September.

KA-GTR ( TENOR GUITAR )
Solid Spruce Top
Rosewood back and sides
Slotted Headstock
Grover Tuners

Want to hear it? Check out this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcrBRL9cuuU

Find your local dealer here:
http://kalabrand.com/dealers.html

The NAMM Show, Nashville Music City Center, #kalabrand, #ukulele, Tenor Guitar Gathering"

got this from kala's FB looks like the kala tenor guitar will be avail in sept. Been waiting for this!

I saw that on the Kala Facebook page. It is very intriguing The guy in the video sounds great
Cliff

Has anyone discovered case options for this yet? I'm having trouble finding a fitted hard case or even a viable gig bag option for it.

Cool little instrument though. Loads of fun to play.

Thanks!

Try a classical gig bag or a 3/4 size bag.

Any specifications about string separation space --neck shape and width --price? If the thing is traced on a sheet of paper, ( length-width-height) with knowing what kind of material is wanted, as well as the shock absorbing foam, gig bags are really not difficult to make. You can state what you want for carrying capabilities, pockets, and whatever else you thought a bag should have or be.

I have one made from the sparkly vinyl which was on kitchen chairs from the 50/60 era. It is red-white and blue. Ain't no body gonna pick it up and say that they thought it was theirs. 1000 denier cordura nylon comes in many different colours. My music stand bag is orange with soft black leather ends. GO BEAVS!!

Not sure it this will help, but the one I played a couple of months ago had a medium D shape neck and was a little narrower than a bari but wider than a tenor. I'm currently trying to scrape up extra funds to get one.

Word on the street has it that cases are now available for the Kala tenor guitar KA-GTR. Dealers should be able to get them.

Huge trend toward ukulele-makers (Kala, Pono, etc) and performers (Danielle Ate, J Nunez, etc) moving toward the guitar.

#trendwatching

Word on the street has it that cases are now available for the Kala tenor guitar KA-GTR. Dealers should be able to get them.

False alarm, the two local retailers can't find anything about a case or gig bag for the Kala tenor guitar. They don't have anything that comes remotely close to a good fit, never mind the promised cases from Kala.

I have an Ibanez tenor guitar and she fits perfectly in a Fender electric gig bag. Try that, you never know.

My Blueridge 40T fits well in a Gator gig bag.

I have an Ibanez tenor guitar and she fits perfectly in a Fender electric gig bag. Try that, you never know.

Thanks, but there's about 6 1/2" difference in the length of the Kala and various Fender Teles and Strats I have, plus the depth of the Kala is roughly double the depth of the Fenders. The Fender gig bag goes around the body okay but the length is sloppy and the whole point is to travel smaller.

Huge trend toward ukulele-makers (Kala, Pono, etc) and performers (Danielle Ate, J Nunez, etc) moving toward the guitar.

#trendwatching

If this is really true, it would follow the "fad like" quality that ukulele seems to have had historically with the general public. Over the years, the guitar and piano seem to have been consistent. These days, digital pianos are becoming a larger portion of the piano market, but they still function as "pianos" in general. The types of guitar (i.e. acoustic vs electric) seems to change from time to time, depending on what is popular that week or month, but both are "guitars" in general. So for both these instruments, sales seem to have always been relatively steady. With ukuleles, it seems (from what I have read here and elsewhere) there are periods in history that are marked by a strong and temporary upswing in general public interest in the ukulele. I seem to have gotten into the ukulele during the recent upswing, so I am definitely a part of that, while others in these forums have been playing the ukulele much longer and more consistently.

I have the impression that companies such as Martin and Collings follow the trends in terms of ukulele production. I owned a Collings acoustic guitar (000 12 fret) for a number of years, and did own a 1927 Martin 2-17 for a while too. I never knew either company made ukuleles, or that "vintage" Martin ukuleles were sought after, until I got into the ukulele. Outside of the ukulele crowd, the ukulele seems to have a very small footprint in terms of visibility. The advantage of this is that many people still think of "ukulele" as tourist "schtick" in Hawaii and Tiny Tim with his famous "Tiptoe Through The Tulips", so when I play a fingerstyle or chord melody piece, people tend to pay attention and are constantly surprised that this can be done on a ukulele. It has been done to death on the guitar, so nobody really cares or pays attention anymore to that. I can honestly say that I was equally surprised when I got involved with the ukulele and discovered the depth and history that the instrument has.

Since I am reading in these forums that local ukulele groups, especially among retirees, are growing, I assume that the ukulele is still going strong, rather than going away or diminishing. However, it seems to depend on whose posts I read and the demographic being discussed, as to whether the market is growing or shrinking. I have not dug up statistics to support either claim and am merely observing what I read in the forums. I can certainly ask the next time I am in a music store that sells ukuleles. Around here in the Twin Cities, Guitar Center, Groth Music, and Willie's come immediately to mind though there are probably more since we do have a lot of music stores around here. This is a very musical area with many healthy music scenes going on.

Tony

Last edited:
Thanks, but there's about 6 1/2" difference in the length of the Kala and various Fender Teles and Strats I have, plus the depth of the Kala is roughly double the depth of the Fenders. The Fender gig bag goes around the body okay but the length is sloppy and the whole point is to travel smaller.

Funny, the Ibanez fits snuggly in mine. Maybe it's because it's a parlor body, I hadn't considered that.

Just visited the Tenor Guitar subforum over at the Mandolin Cafe. One of the folk there posted that he just received his case for the Kala KA-GTR tenor guitar. He says the case' part number is HC-TG . The poster says his case was shipped direct from Kala through "GROTH MUSIC" out of Minnesota.

Top Bottom