Does 0032 make a proper chord?

Captain Google

Ukulele Captain
Reaction score
I was playing around with my uke today, and I tried a G chord without fretting the C string. It sounded good, so I flipped through my Hal Leonard chord finder to see what it was called. Much to my surprise, there wasn't a single chord tabbed as 0032. Did this legendary lexicon miss something? Is it simply a non-chord that just sounds right? I just want to know what to call it.

I just call it a Cmaj7.

It's a C sus7 (C G B).

It's a C sus7 (C G B).

But a 7sus would have a Bb.

Suspended 4 is Root, 4th, 5th, and (flat)7.
Suspended 2 is Root, 2nd, 5th, and (flat)7.

My very tired mind would have it tabbed as such.
C 7Sus4
A-1
E-1
C-0
G-0

C 7Sus2
A-3
E-3
C-2
G-3

Here is a link to a pretty decent chord finder. I am not to blame if you go to this page and it downloads doodie p*** onto your computer, I just use it sometimes.

Last edited:
Another vote for Cmaj7 here.

I know what cpatch is getting at with the sus, since there's no third in the chord. But to be a suspended chord it has to be replaced with the second or fourth. So it's just a Cmaj7 without the third.

So it's just a Cmaj7 without the third.

Right. The "without the third" part is key. It is definitely not a normal Cmaj7.

You're basically playing a regular Cmaj7 chord (0002), but you're removing the normal E note (open second string) and instead using that string to double the G note.

So you're trading the third for a second fifth. :eek:

JJ

It could be Am9 with no root or 5th

Csus7 doesn't exist and if it did it would most likely have a Bb in it. C sus Maj7 is what you meant, I guess, but that doesn't exist in normal functional harmony either.

Cmaj7 maybe
Cm(Maj7) maybe

I know what cpatch is getting at with the sus, since there's no third in the chord. But to be a suspended chord it has to be replaced with the second or fourth. So it's just a Cmaj7 without the third.
Technically this is correct, although I have seen C sus7 used to indicate power chords where the 3rd is replaced by the 7th. More traditionally it would be written as Cmaj7(no 3rd), although you could (as Stackabones points out) rearrange the notes and come up with other spellings as well.

Last edited:
Let's just keep things simple:
Cmaj7 without the 3rd

slightly less simple, but still simple:
Gsus4 with the 3rd without the 5th

If you wanna call it a B-9aug5 without the 3rd be my guest, but now you're just wasting your breath.

It means the same thing. This isn't speculation. Just use its simplest form, Cmaj7 without the 3rd, and you'll be able to sleep at night--to hell with anything else. That's like saying "Emaug5" instead of "C". It doesn't tell you anything more than is necessary to play it properly.

Last edited:
You're all correct, of course. The chord name really depends on the key signature.

Since that voicing is a bit ambiguous, it really depends on where you play it. Context is everything -- for example, a good ole fashioned C chord [0003] can be used as an Am7 and an Em6.

Wrong! Em6 would have a C# in it not a C.

Top Bottom