6 string help

Yukon Cornelius

Reaction score
I just bought some living water strings for my 6 string uke. I went low g. While tuning I'm having some trouble with my c strings. The low c is ok. The regular c string I'm having troubles with. Once I obtained the c tuning it is extremely loose. So I figured I'll tighten it up one more round. However once I get around A the tension is extremely high to point I'm afraid to continue tightening for fear of popping it. Any idea hat I'm doing wrong? I'm not new to this. I've strung all my Ukes for about ten years or so, so not a noob.

I didn't know LW had a six string set. They're not listed on the website so I assume it's a custom set? Maybe they sent the wrong gauge for that string? Maybe they are designed for a different tuning than what you are aiming for? i am just throwing out ideas. Have you emailed Ken about it?

I didn't know LW had a six string set. They're not listed on the website so I assume it's a custom set? Maybe they sent the wrong gauge for that string? Maybe they are designed for a different tuning than what you are aiming for? i am just throwing out ideas. Have you emailed Ken about it?

Not yet. I had ken put them together. The two c strings came labeled low c and regular c. I thought I'd ask here first. I just don't want to break the string. This is my second set of LW strings and I am in love.

Hey John, when I first tried fluorocarbons on my Kamaka 6- I used Worths- I think I ran into the same problem if I recall correctly. Prior to that I was restringing with the nylon Kamaka strings and it was never an issue. I *think* if it feels too tight like it's gonna snap then you're overdoing it. The low A was really loose too as I recall. I got used to the feel of them after a couple of days and it sounded fine, too, but like you said, they sure are floppy. Just throwing out guesses like Jim haha -- Matt

Hey John, when I first tried fluorocarbons on my Kamaka 6- I used Worths- I think I ran into the same problem if I recall correctly. Prior to that I was restringing with the nylon Kamaka strings and it was never an issue. I *think* if it feels too tight like it's gonna snap then you're overdoing it. The low A was really loose too as I recall. I got used to the feel of them after a couple of days and it sounded fine, too, but like you said, they sure are floppy. Just throwing out guesses like Jim haha -- Matt
On my mele I had it strung with worth browns. I do remember a little floppy but not this floppy. However when played in unison it does show in tune.

I may try it again. I just stopped and came here first. I do not want to snap a string. I'm finally picking the uke back up after a long layoff

Have had no problems with Southcoasts on my Pono tenor 6 string

The 2nd course should be a regular C and a High C with the latter being the thinner string. The same should be with the 4th. I usually tune the regular strings first then the octave lows. Never had a loose or tight string.

It's a high C. They always scare the crap out of me tuning them up, but they should be an octave higher than your regular C. It should be the thinnest string in your set. There should be no flop on either a low A when strung in octaves or the high C string. I always let mine stretch out a couple notes below the C and then tune up in small increments, rather than cranking it all the way up all at once since I have had them break. I have Southcoasts on my Maui Music, they're great.

he does a lot of customs :D he makes a re-entrant G set custom for tenor i'm really considering ordering one
as it sounds so good on my baritone. I would write a message to ken as jim suggested he really will offer the best advice.

Top Bottom