PDA

View Full Version : Buying a uke in australia

keithy351
02-16-2009, 06:53 PM
g'day guys im just wondering what peoples thoughts are on the lanikai CKC solid curly koa ukuleles???? whats there sound and quality like

grappler
02-16-2009, 07:07 PM
gday fellow aussie!
where abouts are you buying this uke and how much does it cost?

keithy351
02-16-2009, 08:42 PM
gday fellow aussie!
where abouts are you buying this uke and how much does it cost?

FINALLY ANOTHER FELLOW AUSSIE, mate in live in western australia, so im going to be ordering within australia, i think the ukes about $420 im after spending upto $500 but dont know where to shop or what to get... dont wanna order from overseas, any suggestions

ONYX
02-16-2009, 10:03 PM
Hey buddy, i'm in Perth too.

I orderd online from MGM, great service, and got here within a week

:shaka:

grappler
02-16-2009, 10:15 PM
500 bucks?
thats enough for some serious solid wood uke man.

look around. if your spending 500, i wouldn't get a lanakai or kala.

UkuLeLesReggAe
02-17-2009, 02:07 AM
^ yeah neither would i. if you can find a good ukulele for under $500 in AUD prices, hit us up :D

Skaluke
02-17-2009, 03:00 AM
It is my first post and therefore first of all hello UU board.
I've been looking recently at a uke from Jim Williams, although it is 650Aus$. Gladesville has one http://www.guitarfactory.net/Folk/Ukuleles.htm. It has a pine top and Tasmanian blackwood back and sides, all solid wood. Has anyone heard about his ukes?

keithy351
02-17-2009, 04:50 AM
It is my first post and therefore first of all hello UU board.
I've been looking recently at a uke from Jim Williams, although it is 650Aus$. Gladesville has one http://www.guitarfactory.net/Folk/Ukuleles.htm (http://www.guitar factory.net/Folk/Ukuleles.htm). It has a pine top and Tasmanian blackwood back and sides, all solid wood. Has anyone heard about his ukes?

dude dont buy a uke in aus they have shit ones i was bout to till i email this dude http://stores.ebay.com/Musicguymics-Room hes great bloke and helpful, and everyone buys from him, seems you bugdet is around $450US dont buy what your thinking email this dude with ur budget and what size ur wanting and he will tell u the best.... if i had that much to spend i would be buying something like this http://cgi.ebay.com/Solid-ROSEWOOD-Ohana-CK-50G-CONCERT-gloss-ukulele-w-cs_W0QQitemZ330306803371QQihZ014QQcategoryZ16224QQ cmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1713.m153.l1262 everyone raves about them and they sound fantastic and cheaper then the one ur looking at and is solid built too cant go wrong

upskydowncloud
02-17-2009, 05:54 AM
g'day guys im just wondering what peoples thoughts are on the lanikai CKC solid curly koa ukuleles???? whats there sound and quality like

Hey please be careful! I have the Lanikai CK-C and it ISN'T solid koa. I've seen it mis-advertised as solid wood in a few shops in England too. It's a laminate (or plywood depending where you're from) with a thin veneer of koa wood over the top.

As far as sound goes it's really good. It has a bright tone and a decent sustain. I think I read they wanted AUS$500 for it? That seems a bit high, mine cost $330 roughly but that was in England and I guess they may cost more to bring in to Australia. It's a really good starting uke that will last you a long time.

John

keithy351
02-17-2009, 06:09 AM
Hey please be careful! I have the Lanikai CK-C and it ISN'T solid koa. I've seen it mis-advertised as solid wood in a few shops in England too. It's a laminate (or plywood depending where you're from) with a thin veneer of koa wood over the top.

As far as sound goes it's really good. It has a bright tone and a decent sustain. I think I read they wanted AUS$500 for it? That seems a bit high, mine cost $330 roughly but that was in England and I guess they may cost more to bring in to Australia. It's a really good starting uke that will last you a long time.

John

thanks john, but i am not going to be getting one, im going for either a Koa Pili Koko CONCERT or tenor, or an ovation applause tenor or concert

meletui
02-17-2009, 12:40 PM
Hello fellow aussies!!! I'm in Brisbane. My hubby got me a KPK tenor from musicguymic for valentines day - and I am very very happy with it. It worked out to be $585 Australian dollars (including postage). It took 6 days to get here (longest 6 days of my life) - but so worth it. It is beautiful!!! the only bad thing about it - is that it smells like this tongan voodoo medicine my mother used to give me when i was little if i ate too many lollies......hahaha; not sure if it's the same tree or its the wax. anyways - its beautiful. did i mention that already?

UkuLeLesReggAe
02-17-2009, 01:52 PM
thanks john, but i am not going to be getting one, im going for either a Koa Pili Koko CONCERT or tenor, or an ovation applause tenor or concert

kpk tenor the way 2 go!!

grappler
02-17-2009, 02:03 PM

thats the way buddy!
trust me you wont be disappointed man
good on ya

keithy351
02-17-2009, 03:37 PM
thats the way buddy!
trust me you wont be disappointed man
good on ya

hahahaha i will be ordering my KPK tenor (been playing uke for a month now, on my shit shit shit shit greg bennett tenor, learnt a good amount too) and finally, finally my first, decent ever instrament, no more $40 ukuleles and stuff, i cant wait, im so excited to start playing a tenor size too, btw gotta wait till start of march but its not to far off :smileybounce: :smileybounce:

Gaby
02-17-2009, 10:13 PM
Come on guys! Not all ukes in Australia are shit!

But you are right when you say that most store don't have any good ones...

...I like to think that we stock pretty good ones though :-)

Unless you think Kala, Kiwaya, Pono, Ohana, Flea, Fluke - just to name a few - ukes are no good.

I always have some ukes on ebay (stores.ebay.com.au/musiccitycairns), but many more in our store. You are welcome to give us a yell if you are after anything in particular!

meletui
02-17-2009, 11:32 PM
Yeah, I think we're all waiting for march to hurry up and come along "$$$THANK YOU KEVIN RUDD$$$!!!"

UkuLeLesReggAe
02-17-2009, 11:37 PM
^ i know aye!!! i wana know if i fall in2 the categories... i hope so.

its going on a kpk and then rest on clothes, if i get it.

keithy351
02-17-2009, 11:49 PM
Come on guys! Not all ukes in Australia are shit!

But you are right when you say that most store don't have any good ones...

...I like to think that we stock pretty good ones though :-)

Unless you think Kala, Kiwaya, Pono, Ohana, Flea, Fluke - just to name a few - ukes are no good.

I always have some ukes on ebay (stores.ebay.com.au/musiccitycairns), but many more in our store. You are welcome to give us a yell if you are after anything in particular!

i emailed you but u didnt respond :( what do you have in the pono range for around the $600 mark????

UkuLeLesReggAe
02-17-2009, 11:58 PM
^ that was actually my question also, well it wasnt yet. but it was going to be

fergs1
02-18-2009, 01:05 AM
Gaby, where are my strings?

Gaby
02-18-2009, 02:48 AM
i emailed you but u didnt respond :( what do you have in the pono range for around the $600 mark????

Hey, I replied via eBay? It's in my sent box - Not in your inbox? Let me know if it appeared, otherwise I will find out from eBay where it went. That's no good.

Big_Island_Ukulele
02-18-2009, 04:39 AM
Solid koa concert with $65 case for $499 USD MSRP. check it out

www.bigislandukulele.com

MGM sells them online... if he doesn't have any in stock, let me know... I'm the maker... great value REAL solid koa from my other wood company... I finally brought these ukes into the US after having great success with them in Japan over the last couple of years. I'm bringing on dealers everyday and have been trying to work with an Aussie distributor to take up the line.

we work directly with small shops as well. if you guys know a good local shop maybe they'll carry the line, bring in a few wholesale and it will probably cost you the same as if ordering from MGM, but you'll have a shop to service you!

good luck with it!
Jorma :shaka:
www.bigislandukulele.com

Gaby
02-18-2009, 03:55 PM
Solid koa concert with $65 case for $499 USD MSRP. check it out

www.bigislandukulele.com

MGM sells them online... if he doesn't have any in stock, let me know... I'm the maker... great value REAL solid koa from my other wood company... I finally brought these ukes into the US after having great success with them in Japan over the last couple of years. I'm bringing on dealers everyday and have been trying to work with an Aussie distributor to take up the line.

we work directly with small shops as well. if you guys know a good local shop maybe they'll carry the line, bring in a few wholesale and it will probably cost you the same as if ordering from MGM, but you'll have a shop to service you!

good luck with it!
Jorma :shaka:
www.bigislandukulele.com

Hi Jorma,

I think we met at NAMM last year - will PM you for sure!

Gaby

littlesmall
03-25-2009, 03:22 AM
I just bought a Jim Williams concert size uke from the Guitar Factory Gladesville. Jim is a local luthier mainly builds guitars and mandolins. It's amazing~. Warm and punchy sound. Great craftsmanship and setup. Bearclaw spruce top with master grade Tasmania blackwood (the most beautiful piece of blackwood I have ever seen). Jim uses his modified lattice bracing on all his ukes. I never played a guitar with lattice bracing before, but after playing this uke, wow~~, absolutely amazing. No others sound like it~. It has a surprising big voice with a rich tone. Well done Jim!

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=1105&stc=1&d=1237987234

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=1106&stc=1&d=1237987234

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=1107&stc=1&d=1237987234

fossil
03-29-2009, 01:35 PM
I haven't posted before but I have been checking out the forums for a while. I saw this thread on buying a uke in Australia and thought I'd add my two cents worth.

I also own a Jim Williams uke and would highly recommend them. Mine is the one pictured on the Gladesville Guitar Factory website. It has a King Billy Pine top and blackwood back and sides. It is loud, the intonation is perfect and the action is as good as it gets. It was made by a man who knows what he is doing I would say. Since UAS has struck I have been contemplating ordering a custom from him. One day I'm sure I will!

Here is a link with a couple of songs for an idea of the sound: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVe4g8Nahps

In the first song I am playing rhythm on my Ohana CK35G and my jamming partner is playing slide on my Jim Williams concert. In the second song I am playing ryhthym on the Jim Williams concert and Pete is playing slide on my Ohana Vita.

I would also highly recommend Ohana ukes for their quality, playability and price. As Gaby said earlier in this thread, she stocks them in her store so they are available in Australia. I have purchased several ukes from Gaby without any problems. I have also purchased several ukes from MGM without any problems. That was before the Aussie dollar crashed!

Hope this is of some help to anyone in Oz looking for a uke.

grappler
03-29-2009, 02:48 PM
I just bought a Jim Williams concert size uke from the Guitar Factory Gladesville. Jim is a local luthier mainly builds guitars and mandolins. It's amazing~. Warm and punchy sound. Great craftsmanship and setup. Bearclaw spruce top with master grade Tasmania blackwood (the most beautiful piece of blackwood I have ever seen). Jim uses his modified lattice bracing on all his ukes. I never played a guitar with lattice bracing before, but after playing this uke, wow~~, absolutely amazing. No others sound like it~. It has a surprising big voice with a rich tone. Well done Jim!

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=1105&stc=1&d=1237987234

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=1106&stc=1&d=1237987234

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=1107&stc=1&d=1237987234

looks pretty nice man!!
any clips?

Link
03-29-2009, 02:52 PM
Wow. Yeah, lets see some clips!

toyrtle
03-29-2009, 10:46 PM
Cole Clark makes ukes locally and they are absolutely amazing! They are around the AUD 500 mark.

I live in Melbourne and hands down the best uke shop I've seen is the Acoustic Centre. www.acousticcentre.com.au - amazing selection. THey even have kamakas!

grappler
03-29-2009, 11:30 PM
Cole Clark makes ukes locally and they are absolutely amazing! They are around the AUD 500 mark.

I live in Melbourne and hands down the best uke shop I've seen is the Acoustic Centre. www.acousticcentre.com.au - amazing selection. THey even have kamakas!

where about in melbourne do you live?
have you ever been to the open mic nights on northcote on tuesdays?

toyrtle
03-30-2009, 12:52 AM
where about in melbourne do you live?
have you ever been to the open mic nights on northcote on tuesdays?

I live in Ascot Vale. I have been to the open mic nights a few times. I've never performed there, but they are a lot of fun...

Have you been there? Are you a MUKker?

littlesmall
03-30-2009, 01:05 AM
grappler and Link, I'll record something with it soon. Now i'm still trying out different strings on it.

toyrtle, I also love the Cole Clark ULs, they r pretty good.

rclifford13
03-30-2009, 02:26 AM

Haha! I love that shop, and I was SO CLOSE to buying one of their Kamaka HF3's...but I surprisingly didn't like the tone very much. But it's a fantastic shop. Mick (the owner) is very helpful.

Gaby
03-30-2009, 03:10 AM
Shame you guys live all the way down there...'cause I reckon we have nicest ukes in the country here in the north...:)

toyrtle
03-30-2009, 12:05 PM
Haha! I love that shop, and I was SO CLOSE to buying one of their Kamaka HF3's...but I surprisingly didn't like the tone very much. But it's a fantastic shop. Mick (the owner) is very helpful.

Yeah, it's funny I felt the same way about the Kamaka - I thought the Cole Clark had a much better sound. The guys are generally pretty cool there - as long as you don't bother them with string issues....

Shame you guys live all the way down there...'cause I reckon we have nicest ukes in the country here in the north...:)

I agree that there is some nice stuff up there...there are hidden gems all around Australia....

grappler
03-30-2009, 01:17 PM
I live in Ascot Vale. I have been to the open mic nights a few times. I've never performed there, but they are a lot of fun...

Have you been there? Are you a MUKker?

ascot vale? your kidding me?
I live in maribyrnong right next to highpoint shopping center

toyrtle
03-30-2009, 01:35 PM
ascot vale? your kidding me?
I live in maribyrnong right next to highpoint shopping center

Ah, we're practically neighbours!

Gaby
03-30-2009, 03:16 PM
Yeah, it's funny I felt the same way about the Kamaka - I thought the Cole Clark had a much better sound. The guys are generally pretty cool there - as long as you don't bother them with string issues....

I agree that there is some nice stuff up there...there are hidden gems all around Australia....

Luckily our gems at Music City aren't all that hidden!

Interesting...you like CC better than Kamaka... Make sure if you ever have the chance to try a Koaloha.

Don't worry, I won't go into CC on this thread, I have already done that elsewhere :)

toyrtle
03-30-2009, 04:18 PM
Luckily our gems at Music City aren't all that hidden!

Interesting...you like CC better than Kamaka... Make sure if you ever have the chance to try a Koaloha.

Don't worry, I won't go into CC on this thread, I have already done that elsewhere :)

I'm not saying that Cole Clark is better than Kamaka. I'm just saying that of the two I played, I perferred the Cole Clark. What do you have against Cole Clark?

I've heard that Koaloha is pretty good - haven't seen one though. Can't wait to get to Hawaii again.....I feel like I should buy a Hawaiian uke in Hawaii.

Gaby
03-30-2009, 09:49 PM
It's a matter of taste and fortunately, the Acoustic Centre has a few nice ukes (though you pay top dollar) so you can compare at least some ukes!

As said, I won't go into CC, you can find my comments in other discussions.

To me comparing Kamaka with Koaloha though is like comparing Martin (Kamaka) with Maton (Koaloha). Some brands have die hard fans. Price is not always an indicator for quality, you also pay for the brand.

A holiday in Hawaii will definitely be a great time to compare all the ukes side by side!

toyrtle
03-30-2009, 10:22 PM
I totally agree that you have to play the instrument. I do have certain brands that I think are interesting, but ... in the end it's the way it sounds and feels when I'm strumming it. Sometimes I think it's surprising the instruments you end up with that way.

I did read your other comments about Cole Clark - I sort of see what you're ~not saying~ I really like that they use Australian timbers. I definitely want a piece in my collection that has Australian timber - and at the moment they seem to be the only ones...

Gaby
03-30-2009, 10:49 PM
Cordoba and Lehua also use solid Australian blackwood. Both are made in the same factory in Portugal, on Madeira where the uke originally came from.

I usually carry Lehua ukes as they are half the price of Cordoba. The reviews on the net are varied, but I reckon that that they have got their act together at the moment. In addition, I would not ship out a uke that I wouldn't like to receive myself!

The workmanship can be artisanal, but I have seen the same with some other brands including Mele. When overall looks are great and the they play nice, are built properly, and sound lovely, who cares.

I must admit that I am slightly biased, because I own a Lehua concert, which was one of my first decent ukes, and I never get bored with it! The tone just gets better and better.

toyrtle
03-30-2009, 11:04 PM
I've never heard of those brands - I will have to do some research on them. I wish there was some sort of festival or expo where we could get all of these types of instruments in one places and try them out...

Gaby
03-30-2009, 11:12 PM
You must've been reading my mind (see Uke Talk topics) :)

kalmario
03-31-2009, 01:05 PM
any good stores in surfers?

i'm taking the kids there in three weeks

cheers

Cliff

Gaby
03-31-2009, 02:17 PM
Not that I am aware of. The closest store with a few ukes is apparently in Lismore, but people say that there are still only the common ukes (Greg Bennett, Lanikai and Mahalo). But you can save yourself overseas shipping if you have a look at our eBay store (stores.ebay.com.au/musiccitycairns) I can ship to your holiday address. I have more ukes instore than listed.

kalmario
03-31-2009, 05:36 PM
really tempted

was going to get some of your uke tuners at least, (do you have small capo's
as well?)

but i'm not sure if my wife would be terribly pleased.

most likely be in touch.

(do you still have those cheap mahalo LP clones?)

Cliff

Gaby
03-31-2009, 05:38 PM
Yes we have small capos that work on a uke. And yes we also stock those LP copies.

14twelve
04-01-2009, 03:18 AM
any good stores in surfers?

i'm taking the kids there in three weeks

cheers

Cliff

Hi Cliff, I don't think there are any stores in Surfers, but there's the Gold Coast Ukulele Group at: http://gcup.hinternet.com.au/index.php

They've got a contact page so may be able to tell you the closest, and they've got a get together on the 20th if you happen to be in Surfers on 20 April.

There are stores in Brisbane (an hour north of Surfers), and a big one in Byron Bay (about an hour's drive south of Surfers), but as Gaby said, they're mostly the Greg Bennetts, Lanikais, and Mahalos. There is a whole wall of ukes at the Byron Bay store - a couple of Kalas and a resonator amongst them. Nothing beyond that range though.

Have a great trip over here!

kalmario
04-01-2009, 02:17 PM
yeah get there on the 17th april, so the 20th could be a go.

no promises though i have given my word to leave anything with strings at home!!

cool song pdfs by the way.

Cliff