Tru Oil Substitute?

ericchico

Reaction score
I live here in the great state of California where they do not allow the sale of Tru oil, the VOC level is too high. I had a guy bring me some from Reno but thats not something I want to do all the time. Anyone have some suggestions for a similiar product sold here?
The MSDS says its Linseed, Tung Oil and Mineral Spirits. I dont know if they use any driers in the product it smells like Tung. If not I will start testing my own mix, the chemist here at work seems to think he can duplicate it but thinking and doing are 2 different things.

You can buy True Oil in California, just not the aerosol. I bought some a few months ago, I think on Amazon.

You can buy True Oil in California, just not the aerosol. I bought some a few months ago, I think on Amazon.

Well I just tried and well see if it ships. Thanks Doug I was forgetting about good ole Amazon and trying to go directly to their site. Ill update if they cancel the order.

Tru-oil VOCs? I can't imagine anything being lower, so it must be the spray version that's the problem.

Supposidly Tru-oil contains "proprietary" polymerized oil, so it might take a lot of ruined instruments to perfect the formulation. I wouldn't bother re-inventing the wheel if it's readily available to you via mail order or a trip over the state line.

Tru-oil VOCs? I can't imagine anything being lower, so it must be the spray version that's the problem.

Supposidly Tru-oil contains "proprietary" polymerized oil, so it might take a lot of ruined instruments to perfect the formulation. I wouldn't bother re-inventing the wheel if it's readily available to you via mail order or a trip over the state line.

https://www.birchwoodcasey.com/geta...3123-23035-23132-Tru-Oil-Finish-2012.pdf.aspx

Tru Oil contains Mineral Spirits, over 53% by weight. Enough for the VOC be higher than 250, some places in California only allow only 100 VOC. But anyways Tru Oil can be purchased off Amazon and it is on its way to me now so all is good.
Whats always been funny to me is they want lower VOC levels so the solvent does not go into the atmosphere so they use heavier solvents which cause the vapors to fall to the ground. So its going into the air or into the ground. The heavy solvents are just nasty in my opinion Im not a chemist. I have been in the paint industry as a batch maker and production manager and have seen all kinds of formula changes to meet the CA requirements.

I ran into the same problem a few months ago and bought a quart from someone on the forum here who lives in CA. Importing it into the state probably leaves you open to a serious fine. California often goes too far. This is the only place in the world you can't buy or sell frog legs. Tell me how that works you can kill cows, pigs, chickens, fish, goats, sheep, deer, elk, fish, bears etc, but the state legislature in their infinite wisdom decided it was a good idea to put the only frog farm in the state out of business. Welcome to weirdville.

Last edited:
I ran into the same problem a few months ago and bought a quart from someone on the forum here who lives in CA. Importing it into the state probably leaves you open to a serious fine. California often goes too far. This is the only place in the world you can't buy or sell frog legs. Tell me how that works you can kill cows, pigs, chickens, fish, goats, sheep, deer, elk, fish, bears etc, but the state legislature in their infinite wisdom decided it was a good idea to put the only frog farm in the state out of business. Welcome to weirdville.

Happy Cows do come from California, they are yummy! We could do a whole thread on WTF is wrong with your states politics and ours would be in the top 10 rants. I don't get the frog legs, maybe its a Kermit protection thing. Hopefully the "Man" wont be tracking my 8oz Tru Oil purchase.

Top Bottom