Want To Buy: Martin C1K Koa Concert...ever since I saw this...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got a C1K and it is a very very nice concert for the price. However, it's not the equivalent of a K brand, a good custom or a Collings. The one I have has a very nice and surprising curl in the Koa. It has great action and good resonance. However, it's pretty clearly not as finished and is cruder than the Collings, Koaloha, Mya Moe, Covered Bridge or Kanilea that I've had a chance to compare it to. The sound, while very full does not have the clarity or sustain of any of those. It does compare well to, and is superior to the Pono Mahogany concert that I sold. Although the Pono was more refined in appearance. The Martin C1K is a very nice $469 ukulele, don't expect it to be a $1000 ukulele or even an $800 ukulele. Also, they don't seem to be consistent from one to the next.

I've never considered the Ko'Aloha's finish to be anything spectacular, so if the Martin's is not that refined, must be very unimpressive. Maybe I can see and try some at our next Uke Getaway in Tampa in November.

I have one that I decided to sell. It's exceptional, and I have both the Martin gig bag, and a Stagg tweed hard case. My wife and I bought this C1K at the end of March 2014, and bought several more online trying to get another to match its tone and looks. No luck on either count, and they were all returned. Just do a search of my threads/posts regarding this particular C1K. It's not an issue with the C1K, just that we've decided to play tenors and guitars.

Here's my NUD thread: http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?94217-NUD-Martin-C1K-and-Another&highlight=Martin

I am NOT Nuprin/Chris, but here is a quick sound sample I did to demonstrate Oasis strings: http://youtu.be/5HL9q_mxqYk

Last edited:
I've never considered the Ko'Aloha's finish to be anything spectacular, so if the Martin's is not that refined, must be very unimpressive. Maybe I can see and try some at our next Uke Getaway in Tampa in November.
the finish is inferior to the Kanilea, the workmanship is not spot on, like the Kamaka, but the sound is spectacular. and isn't that what it's really about.

the finish is inferior to the Kanilea, the workmanship is not spot on, like the Kamaka, but the sound is spectacular. and isn't that what it's really about.

My sentiments exactly, Andy...don't expect it to sound like the above mentioned ukes, but it may be the "best in class".

Hi, Are you still looking to buy a used Martin C1K? I have one I purchased this past spring from Elderly Instruments in Lansing, MI. It is in pristine condition, as if it just left Nazareth, PA. I love mine, but I'm looking to purchase a Collings concert and could use the cash. Please advise. Thanks! Dana

Is your used Martin c1K still for sale? If so, how about photos, price, and details about it.
Thanks. Victoria

Alright... My C1K is for sale. Here's a video taken this afternoon (I accidentally called it a T1K at the beginning, but it is most certainly a C1K):
http://vimeo.com/103850745?email_id...e_complete-finished-20120100&utm_source=email

I can't post pics again?!?!?!? If you go to my NUD thread, I was able to post pics from today there. Here's another video I did, but this was simply to demo Oasis strings:
http://youtu.be/5HL9q_mxqYk

$345 for the ukulele, Stagg Tweed hard case, Martin gig bag with all paperwork, and Oasis and Planet Waves Humidifiers. Shipping depends on where you live relative to Pennsylvania, but I've shipped three of these back to Elderly in Michigan for $20. All items are in NEW condition, and my wife and I are non-smokers. All of the items were purchased new, at the end of March 2014.

EDIT: I still can't post anything other than YouTube to this thread! Here's my updated NUD thread, with pics taken today: http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?94217-NUD-Martin-C1K-and-Another/page2

Let's see if this works....
image.jpg
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Last edited:
Frank,
I don't think we have priviliges to do a PM. We will buy it from you. Can you please tell me how we can discuss the details? Thanks,
Victoria

Just to butt in... I have a Martin T1K and an S-1 soprano and both are excellent, well made and sound terrific. I have also played a C1K and it is very hard to tell the difference between it and my KoAloha KCM-00. I put a tung oil finish on my T1K and WOW was I surprised at flame in the KOA, I also realized that the front and back are one piece. After about 6 coats and a little buffing with some swirl remover I have a uke that I will keep for a lifetime! I know you will happy with the C1K.

My C1K has been sold. Thanks you know who! :) image.jpg image.jpg

Enjoy that gleaming chrome button. The Oasis strings don't appear in the pics, but they're in there.

Just to butt in... I have a Martin T1K and an S-1 soprano and both are excellent, well made and sound terrific. I have also played a C1K and it is very hard to tell the difference between it and my KoAloha KCM-00. I put a tung oil finish on my T1K and WOW was I surprised at flame in the KOA, I also realized that the front and back are one piece. After about 6 coats and a little buffing with some swirl remover I have a uke that I will keep for a lifetime! I know you will happy with the C1K.

Do you have any pictures before and after you put on the oil? I would like to spice up my C1K a bit and add to the finish. It needs something to give it a bit of pizzazz.

did that affect the sound?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom