Wanted: Kluson Keystone style friction pegs

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

dhoenisch

Does anyone have a set of Kluson keystone style friction pegs from the 1940's/1950's? They were used on Martin ukes, as well as a few other brands. I have two where the internal button is rounded over, so they don't turn the post, but rather, they slip when turning. I can rig them to work, but if I can get a decent set for a decent price, I think I would rather do it that way.
9653642618c8ea1de0c98d04cad712cef7ade5c0.jpg

I know these weren't the best tuning pegs in the world, but I'm not one for changing the style of anything, unless absolutely necessary. Also, I'd prefer a set so that they match. Mine are really rough, and I doubt I'd be able to find two that look like mine.

Thanks,
Dan

Thanks for the tip, Jim. I love planetary pegs (I play 5-string banjo, and they're great), but I don't want to alter the peghead at all, and it looks like I'd have to drill out the holes, which I would really rather not do.

Dan

If the tuner button holes are rounded, but the buttons themselves are otherwise stable (uncracked and hard) I suspect you can come up with a way to make them work again. Perhaps some CA glue and bone dust or other. I'd ask the luthiers.

Last edited:
Thanks. Skinny PM'd me about this auction, but since he was looking for a full working set as well, I told him to go ahead and bid on them.

I got mine to work. I just threw some veneer in-between the posts and the buttons (three of the four were bad), and they seem to work fine. I think, though, that I'll be doing what Skinny did and just put the Grover 4's on mine and keep the originals in the case since I won't have to alter the uke in any way.

I'll close this thread, but I really do appreciate you all looking out for these.

Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom