my Fluke is less sexy now. :(

steel rider

Reaction score
Having abandoned the Reds I gave up that cool looking red contrast that went so well with my Stripe Fluke. I started to put Worth Browns on but they blended in so much with the fretboard that I went with clears.
Wish I could get some orange or red flourocarbons - yeah just for looks!

On another note I got Hilo "Standard Low G Set" strings because they were 2 packs for $5.60 and the guy said the low g was not wound. He was wrong. I also see that these are nylon. So much for my impulse purchase.
This was for my Eleuke concert. I will put Worth Browns on there instead.

Admit if you choose strings partially for looks! :p

Having abandoned the Reds I gave up that cool looking red contrast that went so well with my Stripe Fluke.

As a Uke n00b, Ive never heard of colored strings!
Now that I am aware of this, count me as someone who will buy strings based on color!:drool:
Im an artist by trade ~ we are allowed to be weird :D

As a Uke n00b, Ive never heard of colored strings!
Now that I am aware of this, count me as someone who will buy strings based on color!:drool:
Im an artist by trade ~ we are allowed to be weird :D

I have never tried any of the multicolored sets but I know that Aurora and probably a number of other companies make sets with a different color for every string. I know nothing about the quality of these strings.

I just ordered some Freemont Blacklines for my Tiki Flea...yes, partially because I think they'll look good on the Tiki. I have M600s in there now and like them well enough...I'll put the Blacklines on tonight.

Admit if you choose strings partially for looks!
I've got a set of all-black "economy-priced" strings on the instrument I keep in "D" tuning mostly because I had them to hand when I bought the instrument and it needed a new set of strings. They were bought because I thought they'd "look different" - and they do. They sound OK as well ;)

I wanted to try a low-G tuning on my "pineapple" - the Aquila "Reds" did the job and they look great :)

I did that once. I put Aquila Reds on my Outdoor Uke (which is black) because I thought it would look neat. It turned out that I liked them much better (soundwise and "feel-wise") than any other strings I had tried on it.

I use Aurora colored strings on two of my ukes...one being a Flea, so I imagine they would sound similar on a Fluke. I like them. They are a little "dry" sounding but once you get used to it, they are great. I like the multi-colored on my Flea but you can get just red. Try 'em! Keep that funky look going!

I use Fremont Blacklines on most of my ukuleles not for looks, but because it just sounds wicked cool to say it.

Me: "Hey, man, what strings you using?"

Him: "Worth Browns."

Me: "Worth Browns? What's next...Kala Reds? Get hip, man, and go with Fremont Blacklines. That's right, Blacklines. I'm bad. I'm nationwide."

Note: Nothing against insect-named ukuleles, but it's not going to impress the chics at a mixer for one to admit that they use Blacklines on a Flea. Mention Blacklines on a low-G string Pono, on the other hand, and you'll be beating them off with a stick.

Last edited:
I recently put Worth brown BT on my Lanikai quilted ash partly to get more punch and sustain, and partly because the uke has brown binding. Works all the way around.

I'm superficial so I will try cool-looking strings if they're out there. Auroras are almost the same as Aquilas so I use them on my Fluke and Flea. Worth Browns look super classy on a koa uke and they're also my favorite sound-wise.

But if anyone ever comes out with fluorocarbons in that obnoxious bright green fishing line color that they use for Tahitian ukes, I'd be all over those.

Ive had aquila reds on almost every one of my ukes at some point in time and ive never been disappointed. The color is a awesome afterthought for me but i just like them cuz they feel good and sound good, if they were clear id like them just as much

My concert Fluke originally came with Hilo Blacks, which vanished right into the fretboard. I recently put Aquila Reds (high G) on them and was very impressed with the look. I'd have put a low G set on my tenor Fluke but the low G fits pretty tight in the nut, so I used different strings.

Top Bottom