My 10 commandments about ukulele world (after some experience)

fabioponta

Reaction score
After having spent 4 years of buying ukuleles and have played more than 80 of them, of various top and cheap brands, models and sizes, I created my (own) 10 commandments/rules about ukuleles:

1. The construction and shape of an ukulele determines how its sound more than the wood used.

2. Exist koas and Koas, mahoganys and Mahoganys, etc., as different as different types of wood, and some Koas and Mahoganys and etc... are much better than others to give timbre, if they are cut in the proper thickness.

3. The instrument finish is important, but hear how the ukulele sounds is more important than how it looks.

4. There is no better strings: there are appropriate and deserved strings for the ukulele that you have and for the type of sound you want to produce (so, you have to play all the sizes to know).

5. Appropriate strings are 30 to 50% of the performance sound.

6. The adequate size of your ukulele depends on the type of sound you want to play.

7. Have more ukuleles if you want to collect, have less ukuleles if you want to play and improve your technique.

8. Some luthiers (alone or working in some ukulele brands) are geniuses, and can make ukuleles sound magically. Other sounds just like an instrument.

9. Ukuleles made of laminated wood are limited to the perception of the depth of sound that may have a ukulele.

10. Ukulele is the most versatile and variable instrument you can find in the world: you will never know everything about them.

Like the list, totally agree with 7 and 8. Don't understand 9, can you explain it more?

Oi, Fabio!

I like it -- lots of truth in your commandments, and I appreciate the spirit of it even more. How's that sweet, sweet Kanile'a doing?

Like the list, totally agree with 7 and 8. Don't understand 9, can you explain it more?

9. I think means that laminate woods are automatically perceived as an inferior product.

As for 7. I think you can be an excellent uke player and still have many ukes too.

Last edited:
As for 7. I think you can be an excellent uke player and still have many ukes too.

Absolutely. Why some people think collectors cannot also be great players is beyond me. (Not that I am a good player, of course)

Absolutely. Why some people think collectors cannot also be great players is beyond me. (Not that I am a good player, of course)

I'm guessing some pros have a nice sized collection but his point is well taken IMO. I'm getting to the point of starting to thin my uke collection but that is because having bought a bunch I've found what good sounds and plays like (for me) and I found the one or two I like to play and am satisfied with the sound.

Regarding number 7, I think that there is a misunderstanding regarding causality.

I think that many (not all) great players only have one ukulele because they see it more as a tool than an art piece. They did not become great because they only have one. They have one because they are great.

Am I making sense?

Top Bottom