Season 127 - Stories!

frisbee fred

Reaction score

Stories! If you were to read the lyrics of the song it would tell a story from start to finish. So, each song you post would be a complete short story. Here are some examples to help you understand what I am talking about: Cat's in the Cradle, Taxi, Hurricane, Atlantic City, Puff the Magic Dragon, Coward of the County, Thunder Road, Scenes From an Italian Restaurant, Ballad of Billy the Kid, Devil Went Down to Georgia, Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald. These are just examples to give you an understanding of what the Season is about.

As usual, don't post until 12:01 am Hawaii time on July 20. Standard rules for the Season apply with one minor exception. If you aren't sure if a song fits there is no need to ask. Just do it as I will not turn away anyone.

Three songs per person. No bonuses. Ukulele front and center. Multi-tracking or not is ok - whatever you would like to do. Should be a new video for this week and say Season 127 somewhere.

As for prizes I'm still thinking about it. However, I know that for this Season I'll be doing a drawing so everyone will have a chance to win.

PLAYLIST

Last edited:
Hurrah!

Narratives are fun.

AWESOME THEME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

for this Season I'll be doing a drawing

oh great, some art too?

;)

no but seriously when i first started on the seasons people talked about doing RANDOM DRAWING when judging and honest to goodness i thought what? they're gonna draw something with their eyes shut, how is that gonna find a winner

and yeah ok

so i'm a bit thick, so what? :mad:

Dug deep in my songbooks for this one. I never played it before so will likely be put up in a few days. Lots of things to learn. The song is simple but this will be the first time singing since grade school. Also the first vid where I will do editing and such(also my first seasons entry.)

Dug deep in my songbooks for this one. I never played it before so will likely be put up in a few days. Lots of things to learn. The song is simple but this will be the first time singing since grade school. Also the first vid where I will do editing and such(also my first seasons entry.)

So many firsts! You are among friends here - we are looking forward to it :music:

Great! Most English folk songs tell a story.

Now, let's think... hmm...

Chevy Chase. Only 76 verses. That should do. Might need to leave a few out.

Maybe not but I shall definitely have to do a Child Ballad.

Question: cuss words? The songs that come to mind for this theme are a bit dirty. Anyone going to pop a vein if I sing them?

I'm gonna have to be smart here and not use up my three songs today..... Because I have loads I could do. Loads.

Great theme Fred.

I'm about 15 minutes early but it's not often I get a chance to get in first and do a song I already know how to play.

This is by the Raconteurs. The original builds up absolutely brilliantly, hopefully I've managed to capture some of that here.

Question: cuss words? The songs that come to mind for this theme are a bit dirty. Anyone going to pop a vein if I sing them?
Well I'm with Stephen Fry but I suppose its down to the host.

AWESOME THEME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

oh great, some art too?

;)

no but seriously when i first started on the seasons people talked about doing RANDOM DRAWING when judging and honest to goodness i thought what? they're gonna draw something with their eyes shut, how is that gonna find a winner

and yeah ok

so i'm a bit thick, so what? :mad:

How do you think David Hockney got started........lol

I woke up so excited to see what the season was going to be and now I'm even more excited! What a great theme! So many great songs...this is going to be a good one. :music:

I'm about 15 minutes early but it's not often I get a chance to get in first and do a song I already know how to play.

This is by the Raconteurs. The original builds up absolutely brilliantly, hopefully I've managed to capture some of that here.
Great start to the Season, Ryan! Perfect song choice for the Season. Pretty brutal story, eh?

I love the theme, lovely idea.... there are so many great story songs.... I've got a lot of ideas but the time factor is going to hit me hard this week - if I can't do the songs I want, I'll throw the ideas out for others. Let's have a great fun week with these stories!

Last Night I Had the Strangest Dream - Ed McCurdy via Pete Seeger

Omigosh, am I really the third entry in a Season on a Sunday morning?! That never happens.

Well, it's only because I have been practicing this song since Thursday for the previous Season ... and the Pete Seeger contest, which I missed. But it's also a story song, recorded this morning, so I'm right on time for this one.

I was on the lookout all last week for a Pete Seeger peace or anti-war song that inspired me (and preferably had not yet been done), that I could use for both S126 and Eugene Ukulele's Pete Seeger contest.

And then, Thursday morning the WFUV Question of the Day was about songs that mention dreams, and someone suggested this one. I thought, "Of course!", and quickly learned the song.

I was going to make the video right away, strumming, but I kept hearing a certain fingerpicking pattern in my head, which I had not yet learned, so off I went to learn that.

In the meantime, Drew made his excellent video of the song in S126, and the contest closed. In any case, it's too great a song not to complete, so I have finished it. (Serendipitously, it's also a story song, so it fits here too!)

Here is my version of "Last Night I Had the Strangest Dream", with my new made-up hopefully Pete-Seeger-esque-ish fingerpicking pattern.

I hope one day soon this beautiful vision will come to pass.

I should mention that although I learned this song from Pete, it was written by Ed McCurdy. Pete added a repeat of the first verse in his version, but Ed McCurdy felt the song was perfect as he wrote it. I have left out the repeated verse.

[I have another story song in mind for this week ... there are so many great choices! ... so this triple-duty just-happens-to-also-fit-here song will not be my only entry.]

Omigosh, am I really the third entry in a Season on a Sunday morning?! That never happens.

Well, it's only because I have been practicing this song since Thursday for the previous Season ... and the Pete Seeger contest, which I missed. But it's also a story song, recorded this morning, so I'm right on time for this one.

I was on the lookout all last week for a Pete Seeger peace or anti-war song that inspired me (and preferably had not yet been done), that I could use for both S126 and Eugene Ukulele's Pete Seeger contest.

And then, Thursday morning the WFUV Question of the Day was about songs that mention dreams, and someone suggested this one. I thought, "Of course!", and quickly learned the song.

I was going to make the video right away, strumming, but I kept hearing a certain fingerpicking pattern in my head, which I had not yet learned, so off I went to learn that.

In the meantime, Drew made his excellent video of the song in S126, and the contest closed. In any case, it's too great a song not to complete, so I have finished it. (Serendipitously, it's also a story song, so it fits here too!)

Here is my version of "Last Night I Had the Strangest Dream", with my new made-up hopefully Pete-Seeger-esque-ish fingerpicking pattern.

I hope one day soon this beautiful vision will come to pass.

I should mention that although I learned this song from Pete, it was written by Ed McCurdy. Pete added a repeat of the first verse in his version, but Ed McCurdy felt the song was perfect as he wrote it. I have left out the repeated verse.

[I have another story song in mind for this week ... there are so many great choices! ... so this triple-duty just-happens-to-also-fit-here song will not be my only entry.]

I've always liked this Pete Seeger song. Nice job on the picking pattern - uke sounds really good.

janet sent me some chords, in the form of a beautiful and delicate little uke tune, and said, "bev it up, baby, do with it what you will" and i thought yeah BABY, i made this little homemade songlet about the very short story of how i got my first uke...

i was minding my own business, learning guitar
i wasn't very good - i hadn't got far
i thought i'll get a clip-on tuner, i checked online
a guy showed one on youtube, it seemed to work fine
he showed it on a guitar
he showed it on a bass
then he showed it on this tiny thing
and i made a puzzled face
i though what's that? what's that? what's that? what's that?
he said, it's a uke
i said take a look at that!
gotta have one, gotta try one, gotta get one, gotta buy one
yeah
so i did
yes i did
and i fell in love, i fell in love, i fell in love, i fell in love
i fell in love with the ukulele
ukulele... what's not to fall in love with? yeah