Change saddle on Fluke?

M3Ukulele

Reaction score
I'm wondering it is worth it sound wise to change the plastic saddle in my Tenor Walnut Fluke? Will I get any better sound? Not that I'm not happy with the sound of this Ukulele. Its fine for what I bought it for. I know how much strings can make a sound difference so wondering about people's comments on BEST STRINGS to use.

I upgraded with Grover 2B Friction tuners within a month of getting my Fluke and all I can say is….. Big Thumbs up for this upgrade on my Fluke. Pegheds from MFC are awesome and very easy to install. Now, I can stay in tune, fine tune and am a happy camper………

Now back to the saddle ……….

I don't have first-hand experience of a Fluke, unfortunately, but looking at the pictures on their web-site I might suggest a compensated saddle may improve intonation "up the neck". Do bear in mind that a saddle compensated for re-entrant tuning will be less suitable for "low-D" tuning (and vice versa), whereas the supplied saddle is likely to be a good compromise.
Having said all that, I wouldn't expect a company of Fluke's standing and reputation to scrimp on saddle material, so I wouldn't expect to see any improvement in tonal quality. The material they've used for the saddle is very likely to be perfectly adequate for the job, irrespective of how expensive any alternatives may be !

Last edited:
This is more of a tinkering thing. I bought stock Fluke, tried the Grover 2B friction tuners and didn't care for then. They are adequate but stepping up to Pegheds (although an investment in this price of Ukulele) was well worth it. I know I can change strings and that will tweak the sound. Tenor saddle is a plastic insert so it can be changed and as I find other materials, I will tinker. MFC is a great organization and people and have super customer service……... so you are correct…… saddle provided is adequate for the job. Intonation is not as issue with this Ukulele, I have the poly fretboard so its near perfect. Just curious………..

I think much of the time, a harder saddle will improve the sound of most ukes. I have an ebony saddle on my KPK and wouldn't trade it for a bone one.

Tenor saddle is a plastic insert so it can be changed
... excellent, just a few minutes to swap it about :)

I often feel the term "plastic" can sound disparaging, indeed often seems to be used to describe a lower-quality material. Both polythene and bakelite are technically plastics (as, possibly, is glass). I'd not use polythene as a saddle material, though I do have a DIY reference to using a cut-down nylon comb for that purpose, so maybe hardness isn't everything :)

Top Bottom