Info about Chinese brand ukulele?

thenewb

Reaction score
Hey guys, I am currently in China and there are plenty of new ukulele brands including the high ends like Leho, ACE, Nices.

Does anybody here know the pros and cons of these brands? They all seem nice, but don't want to drop hundreds of dollars (or a couple thousand yuan) without knowing much about these brands.

Most of the worlds ukulele's come out of China so there is no point in being disparaging about Chinese ukuleles. My advise is play them and pick a good one. 2 nearly identical ukuleles could come off the production line but one will be better than the other. Check them out thoroughly and don't be too worried about the brand.

Anthony

Probably there is some misunderstanding here

Sorry if I come off as being rude but I am just trying to get a decent uke for the money. I know this is not ideal but given an odd circumstances, I am trying to purchase them online....I hope the setup is at least okay hah!

Even for top Chinese brands, there is a whole range of prices. You can get all solid mahogany (Nices entry model) for ~USD$100 or an entry level Ace ukes around ~USD$400. So any information about these brands will be helpful in narrowing my decision.

Yes, many US's uke brands sell ukes made in China. The difference is quality control. China's uke brands spent less cost on quality control, than US's brands.

Factory cost in China is very very low, worker's wage also very low. The most expensive cost is on quality control (believe me, those workers are very very hard to control, they have no senses at all on what & why to do the task right. When you have to deal with it, it is big headache). The product's quality could fluctuate in a very large range.

No matter which "China's brand" you are looking at, most of them are selling OEM, you will find certain brand's ukes are very alike certain US's brand's. Touch & play the uke patiently before buy, to avoid bad luck.

When you get the good ones under $100USD (inside China, this price already able to get all solid wood, fancy wood, slotted head stock, abalone binding, etc...) they are worth the money, because the prices are already low enough. But expect the very basic bracing & construction. Nothing special designed.

Good luck.

Last edited:
The quality inspection you do on any instrument bought in China (or any equivalent spot) will have to be darned good, as what you buy there is, for all purposes, without any warranty. Instruments displayed in local shops most likely are coming from the same factory(ies) servicing the export market, so are what the local stores getting A-1 merchandice, rejects, or does the factory deal equally with every buyer? Is the headstock label (if there is one) of a known brand or an unknown? The stories of Chinese knock-off products are legion, especially if the target market is bargain-hungry tourists.

That's not to say there may not be some good deals. It all depends on each inspected item and the ability if the buyer to evaluate the true quality of the item.

There's probably no advantage to being in China if you're going to purchase on line (except perhaps shipping cost). As mentioned, quality of production ukes can vary a fair bit no matter what brand. You could get a good one or a not so good one.

I would seek out a music shop and try out some ukes. Don't worry about what brand name is on it. Then drop the cash.

There's probably no advantage to being in China if you're going to purchase on line (except perhaps shipping cost). As mentioned, quality of production ukes can vary a fair bit no matter what brand. You could get a good one or a not so good one.

I would seek out a music shop and try out some ukes. Don't worry about what brand name is on it. Then drop the cash.
. Yes, I would agree with that. Where are you, and for how long are you in China? My home is in Xiamen, and I'll be working in Guangzhou soon. If you're still in China this October, you must attend the Music China Expo in Shanghai. Scores of uke makers there, some excellent and with great wholesale prices! ACE was there last October and they had very nice instruments. But like Kayak Jim said, if you buy online, it's anyone's guess as to quality. East-Start was also there. Their instruments were so-so, but unfortunately they sent total crap to that UU group who placed a special order. Eventually, I bought some fantastic instruments at a very low price from a factory that used to make Ponos. And even one of the 4 that I did buy experienced a bridge pulling off, so it had to be fixed.

The quality of Chinese instruments is getting better all the time. The key is not as much QC in some of those factories as it is raw materials. If you give excellent workers junk materials, they can't help producing junk. The manufacturers are much more aware of quality expectations on a global scale. It's not fair to compare experiences of five years ago with what is taking place today. There are several top-notch factories producing fine instruments in China. Quality does vary a bit, but it is much more consistent than it used to be. The rule is play before you pay. I'd buy locally. Once you pick a uke you like, chances are good that you'll remain satisfied with it.

Sorry if I come off as being rude but I am just trying to get a decent uke for the money. I know this is not ideal but given an odd circumstances, I am trying to purchase them online....I hope the setup is at least okay hah!

Even for top Chinese brands, there is a whole range of prices. You can get all solid mahogany (Nices entry model) for ~USD$100 or an entry level Ace ukes around ~USD$400. So any information about these brands will be helpful in narrowing my decision.

I don't think he meant you in particular. It would make no sense if he did.

I think his advice however is spot on.

Last year I bought my 2 hole uke online direct from China for $148 US, Uku brand. It's very nice, and when I lowered the action and changed the strings to fluorocarbon, it got even better. It's all koa, not sure if the top is solid or laminate, but it sure sounds good.

East-Start was also there. Their instruments were so-so, but unfortunately they sent total crap to that UU group who placed a special order.

You are absolutely wrong, they are not total crap, how would you even know, you didn't get one, and you obviously didn't read our posts throughly. They did need setup and a couple were not the style ordered, but they are very good instruments.

Last edited:
You are absolutely wrong, they are not total crap, how would you even know, you didn't get one, and you obviously didn't read our posts throughly. They did need setup and a couple were not the style ordered, but they are very good instruments.
My "total crap" labeling was wrong, and I apologize for that. You did a great job of organizing the group purchase and seeing it through. That was very cool of you, and nobody can take that away from you.

I know the East-Start instruments that I saw and played in Shanghai last October. And I had the privilege of comparing them to many other Chinese made ukes at the same expo. I wrote about the experience on UU last Fall, and made a point of contributing my own experience with East-Start specifically in that initial group thread back in late November.

My total crap comment was wrong - far too negative - based on the many, but not all, replies I read in the Fixing Up East-Start thread. But if you and the others can recommend the East-Start electric ukes to me as being "very good instruments", I'd be keen on ordering one.

. Yes, I would agree with that. Where are you, and for how long are you in China? My home is in Xiamen, and I'll be working in Guangzhou soon. If you're still in China this October, you must attend the Music China Expo in Shanghai. Scores of uke makers there, some excellent and with great wholesale prices! ACE was there last October and they had very nice instruments. But like Kayak Jim said, if you buy online, it's anyone's guess as to quality. East-Start was also there. Their instruments were so-so, but unfortunately they sent total crap to that UU group who placed a special order. Eventually, I bought some fantastic instruments at a very low price from a factory that used to make Ponos. And even one of the 4 that I did buy experienced a bridge pulling off, so it had to be fixed.

Currently in Chongqing. I've been to a couple of shops but wasn't too happy with the selection of ukes available. There were plenty of guitars though. Would be nice to live right next to Elderly haha. Been there once a couple of years ago and it was fantastic. I should've bought that sweet Collings concert off the shelf but I couldn't justify the ~1.5k price. :p

Chongqing is a relatively big city so I think there should be at least a good ukulele store here. Just have to keep looking for one. Also, the Shanghai music expo sounds great, I'll see if I can get some info on it.

Currently in Chongqing. I've been to a couple of shops but wasn't too happy with the selection of ukes available. There were plenty of guitars though. Would be nice to live right next to Elderly haha. Been there once a couple of years ago and it was fantastic. I should've bought that sweet Collings concert off the shelf but I couldn't justify the ~1.5k price. :p

Chongqing is a relatively big city so I think there should be at least a good ukulele store here. Just have to keep looking for one. Also, the Shanghai music expo sounds great, I'll see if I can get some info on it.

I used to live near Elderly, relatively speaking, while at college in Mt. Pleasant, MI. Those days there were always opportunities to be in bands and play live. But I didn't have any money to buy much at Elderly. Nowadays, the money for gear is no problem, but finding experienced jam buddies/bands in China is! :(

Anyway, you MUST check out Music China in Shanghai this Oct. 8-11.
http://music-china.hk.messefrankfurt.com/shanghai/en/visitors/welcome.html
Save money on a cheap flight and cheapo hotels (if you are willing) and spend your cash on
great instruments and gear at rock-bottom prices. You'll have tons of choices to try out.
My guess is Chongching won't have anything beyond beginner ukes. The only serious uke shop I've seen is in Hong Kong, and even they don't have such a big selection.

Maybe we can hook up sometime. I started a beginner group in Xiamen. I'm sure they'd love to meet you.

I have no idea how the pricing structure works in China or if Eastman Ukes are even sold to domestic markets, but if I were spending time in China, I would look up Eastman or, at least, try to find a dealer.

I owned an Eastman 615 maple mandolin that was both flawless as well as being a total cannon. Also played several Eastman jazz box guitars that were exquisite.

I have no idea how the pricing structure works in China or if Eastman Ukes are even sold to domestic markets, but if I were spending time in China, I would look up Eastman or, at least, try to find a dealer.

I owned an Eastman 615 maple mandolin that was both flawless as well as being a total cannon. Also played several Eastman jazz box guitars that were exquisite.

Oh yeah! They and their awesome guitars and mandolins where there, but no ukes that I remember.
Not everything at the Expo is for sale in China. And some things are for sale, but at western prices.
Still, there's always more than enough to choose from at Chinese wholesale prices.

The downside to all this is the extensive pollution in China caused by so much unregulated manufacturing.

One of those brands that oyu listed (Leho), I owned one and I was very happy with it before I had to sell it to pay for school fees. I have a review on it in the review section if you want to check it out.

Not sure where in China Koloa Ukes are made, or if they are branded as such just for the US market. Their Baritones are generally regarded as well made and exceed their price point. Might be worth checking out. My Koloa Bari plays more like a $500+ instrument than the $230ish uke it is.
anyway, as others have already said....................enjoy the unique experience.

Top Bottom