Why do you like solid Koa? (and one more question)

Icelander53

Reaction score
Well maybe more than one more question lol.

Why do you like solid Koa and who in your opinion makes the best or near the best sounding and playing one? (extra points if it doesn't cost over $1200)

SECOND QUESTION

What is the most unusual tone wood you've liked and what's so hot about it? (same on extra points if it costs a grand or less)

I just like the sound. I suppose one of the K uses would be a good choice

If price is a factor you should probably specify a preferred scale length, as the price tends to go up (usually) the bigger the uke. Koa is great. In your price range I'd personally pick KoAloha in my experience, as I've owned a number of them and they're consistent from piece to piece, they have the best warranty, and they're a great Hawaiian family to do business with. They're usually the cheapest prices out of the Hawaiian builders, too, overall.

I like koa because it is the prettiest wood out there..........in my eyes. I love everything about the look, the colour, the flamimg the dark and light grain striping. It sounds real good, KoAloha has the tone I prefer over the other K Brands, at around $1100.00 for a tenor it is not stupid expensive. I guess I get bonus points for that price level

If price is a factor you should probably specify a preferred scale length, as the price tends to go up (usually) the bigger the uke. Koa is great. In your price range I'd personally pick KoAloha in my experience, as I've owned a number of them and they're consistent from piece to piece, they have the best warranty, and they're a great Hawaiian family to do business with. They're usually the cheapest prices out of the Hawaiian builders, too, overall.

Sorry I neglected that. I'm a tenor guy.

Why do you like solid Koa and who in your opinion makes the best or near the best sounding and playing one? (extra points if it doesn't cost over $1200)

The short answer is I like the sound; if pressed as to why, I think it's something about having a good balance of lows and highs compared to other tonewoods I've encountered - which have always seemed too brash (mahogany) or too muddy (mango, myrtle) to my ear. But that's just my ear, and just based on the ukes I've encountered in real life.

As for best sounding and playing - that would be my Kamaka Ohta-San, but it's over $1200 so no bonus points for me. But a standard Kamaka or Koaloha in any size tenor or under will run you $1200 or less, especially in smaller sizes. And you can't go wrong with either.

As for other K brands - I've not yet encountered a Ko'olau so can't speak to those. I've been consistently underwhelmed by Kanile'as, but that might be because I find them difficult to play (chunkier necks than Kamaka or Koaloha) and those bridge pins make me back away in horror :)

Chunky as in Pono like chunky? Cause I do best with a chunky neck.

Not sure since I've never encountered a Pono in the wild. But I actually did a comparison measurement of my Kamakas and a borrowed Kanile'a concert uke once, and the neck circumference was something like 1/4" larger than a Kamaka concert if memory serves correctly. Doesn't sound like much, but with my little hands it felt like I was playing a guitar rather than a uke!

I like koa for its beauty, for its sound and for its place in ukulele history. I haven't played enough koa ukes from different companies/builders to have a clue which is best. I can say that my Kamaka soprano sounds beautiful, though.

If you're curious about koa ukes, it may be wise to find a used koa uke. If it's not suited for you, you could resell it for a similar price. Oh, and if you start thinking about a soprano, remember my Kamaka is not for sale. :)

Not sure since I've never encountered a Pono in the wild. But I actually did a comparison measurement of my Kamakas and a borrowed Kanile'a concert uke once, and the neck circumference was something like 1/4" larger than a Kamaka concert if memory serves correctly. Doesn't sound like much, but with my little hands it felt like I was playing a guitar rather than a uke!

Sounds nice to me. I have long skinny fingers and fat works nice for me. My Gretsch believe it or not is even fatter than the Pono and it's so nice to handle. I just wish it was a solid wood. (solid top only) It plays wonderfully. Easily as good as the Pono with radiused fretboard but the Pono wins sound wise. I'm really stunned though by it actually and it cost around $220 with pickup. They were making a solid Koa but it's been on backorder for so long that I'm thinking they may not be back. If they do I'll try one. They are inexpensive at just over $400

If you like your pono wait for the koa pono to come back in stock eh. Something else to check out is the martin t1k great sounds ukulele. Isnt curly koa though so it isnt jaw dropping but still nice looking. i think they go for 500. I am looking at one myself right now played two an they felt great and sound great just doesnt have "sex appeal" as curly koa looks, still great looking though. They are made in mexico so that keeps the cost down

I like koa because it is Hawaiian. It is the quintessential uke sound to me, and is often beautiful to look at as well. I think the best sounding koa ukes are made by Chuck Moore, but to stay within your budget constraints, it would be KoAloha for me.

Disclaimer: I have never owned a koa uke so I can't speak for its sonic qualities. But it sure can be awfully pretty. I think a lot of people are attracted to it just for that reason. It certainly has more of a "bling" factor than many other woods.

If you like your pono wait for the koa pono to come back in stock eh. Something else to check out is the martin t1k great sounds ukulele. Isnt curly koa though so it isnt jaw dropping but still nice looking. i think they go for 500. I am looking at one myself right now played two an they felt great and sound great just doesnt have "sex appeal" as curly koa looks, still great looking though. They are made in mexico so that keeps the cost down

I was wondering why there was no Koa Pono. I'll keep my eye on that.

I had a lovely Koa concert with Pearwood back and sides by Peter Hurney at Pohaku. It was a punchy, percussive instrument and a unique wood combination. It was well under your $1200 budget.

Because the cost for koa is high and their price point wasn't that much lower than the K brands so discontinued.

I like koa because it reminds me of Hawaii.

Sorry I must have read a previous post wrong. I thought you said you had an eye on a pono koa but it was not in stock. So I was saying why not get it. But if you do not know of one i do not think one exists :(

Because the cost for koa is high and their price point wasn't that much lower than the K brands so discontinued.

I like koa because it reminds me of Hawaii.

I spent four months tramping the jungles and reefs of the Fiji islands. I don't think I ever saw a ukulele while I was there.

So is it the sound that reminds you or the look?

I spent four months tramping the jungles and reefs of the Fiji islands. I don't think I ever saw a ukulele while I was there.

So is it the sound that reminds you or the look?

I know this wasnt directed to me but from the different ones ive tried and played the sound is very tropical, sounds funny but that is what they seem. Obvi each wood has a different flavour and therefore different sound.

I can't really speak for the wood itself only because I've had a brief encounter with Kanile'a and KoAloha ukes at USpace in LA, but I can attest to the build quality of KoAloha from my KoAlana soprano... the build quality is really light and a KoAloha koa tenor I think would be highly recommended if you wanted a light, clear, and airy sound along with a well-built ukulele under $1200. As for the sound of koa, I think the Aquila strings I was playing really covered up the warm tone that koa has to offer, but I think a lot of people seek koa for that warmth or maybe just because koa is like the ideal wood for ukuleles hahaha
Speaking of which, I've had my eye on Pepe Romero's All-Koa Grand Tenor still in stock at HMS for $799 -w/ Oahu case- and I'm so surprised that 1) it hasn't been snatched up yet and 2) it's cheaper than the $899 Spruce/Rosewood Grand Tenor that just came in... http://www.theukulelesite.com/romero-creations-solid-koa-grand-tenor-package.html
Pepe builds ukuleles from a classical guitar standpoint, but takes into consideration the differences between the two... I think his ukes come highly recommended
Also, HMS has a KoAloha tenor that is $100 cheaper than normal because of a little scratch on the bottom! http://www.theukulelesite.com/koaloha-koa-tenor-ktm-00-tus-4-1083.html

Top Bottom