PDA

View Full Version : Best. Uke. Day. Ever.

greenie44
07-20-2014, 05:32 PM
At least for me. The Ukulele Fest in Kapiolani Park in Honolulu was a complete blast. Thunderstorms were forecast for the whole day, but bright and sunny the whole time. Met loads of UUers - Kimosabe, Uncle Rod, Pueo, geetee (sp), mds, Cali Rose, Hawaii 50, mmstan and even Chuck Moore and his wife. (and probably others I forgot to mention) All great, great people.

Got to sit and play with Kimo Hussey, Corey,Uncle Rod and folks from around the world in a tent Andrew graciously provided.

And, in a group of probably 150 strummers, backed up Willie K.

Jake playing at the end was just gravy.

Not enough mahalos in the world for this day!

Icelander53
07-20-2014, 05:43 PM
I stayed at home and had a tv dinner. :(

Sounds like a terrific day. :shaka:

kvehe
07-20-2014, 05:48 PM
I went to work. I went home. I have come back to work. I may be here until 4:00 am (it is now 10:48 pm where I am). I am quite envious of your magnificent day. :D It sounds terrific!!

Dan Uke
07-20-2014, 05:50 PM
That's awesome!!

Tigeralum2001
07-20-2014, 05:55 PM
Wow! I'm so jealous! Sounds heavenly!

greenie44
07-20-2014, 05:57 PM
All -

Please excuse my post if it sounds like gloating - that was not the intent. Just wanted to thanks all those I met and encourage you all to come out next year if you can. And to praise this community - meeting up with UUers was the highlight.

wickedwahine11
07-20-2014, 06:23 PM
Sounds like you had a wonderful time, I am glad everybody was able to enjoy it.

kvehe
07-20-2014, 06:24 PM
Oh, my, no, it didn't sound like gloating. It sounded like someone who had a super-fantastic-wonderful day and couldn't wait to share his good fortune. It brightened up my verrrryyyyy long evening/night, and reminded me of the terrific time I had at the Mighty MO UkeFest last weekend.

Dan Uke
07-20-2014, 07:16 PM
I didn't perceive it to be gloating in any way!! You really sound excited and please share any pics or videos if you have any.

greenie44
07-20-2014, 07:52 PM
Well, here is the view from the stage before starting in to play with Willie K

And here are Uncle Rod, Pueo and some big guy after receiving our medallions for performing.

erivel
07-20-2014, 08:02 PM
Wow that sounds like a blast Rick! Thanks for sharing!

Kimosabe
07-20-2014, 08:24 PM
I happened to be there also with the Greenmeister, who is quite nice and even more interesting. I had the wonderful experience of sitting for over an hour listening to Corey get a lesson from Kimo Hussey. Corey wanted to know how to play jazz and Kimo was showing him how to think in terms of musical sentences, little chord progressions; how to learn to really hear them and to practice them in various keys. Corey was then playing what he had been shown and asking questions whether this worked or that worked and he was throwing in ideas. It was just the three of us. I didn't say a word. I just sat and watched while Babe Ruth gave Micky Mantle batting tips. You don't interrupt to say I like baseball a lot also. Really wonderful.

I got a chance to play a beautiful Kinnard ukulele that was recently purchased by a Dennis Kim from Hawaii and many years on the mainland. He regaled me with interesting stories about growing up in a rough and tumble section of Waiikiki called The Jungle. I now live there. It still has prostitues and drug dealers but is rather tame in comparison to the old days.

Hawaiians breaking into Hawaiian songs with great singing. Hawaiians returning from the mainland in ukulele groups. Great players from Japan and China. Friendly and interesting and interested people. What a great day and dinner with Craig Brandau and Cali Rose at Da Spot. Only in Hawaii. Dreams still come true. And Jake at the end, playing and talking about he participated in the festival when he was a kid.

Newportlocal
07-20-2014, 08:31 PM
Super awesome! Congrats on such a great time!

greenie44
07-20-2014, 08:36 PM
And here is a little clip of jammin' with Kimo. You may recognize some of the folks there.

http://youtu.be/XsF8ay_sr8Mv

And my internet connection is pretty slow here, but I could upload a somewhat shakey video of Jake doing While My Guitar later if folks want.

Newportlocal
07-20-2014, 08:42 PM
Thanks for the video. Saw the Chuck cameo.

kohanmike
07-20-2014, 09:15 PM
Having never been to Hawaii (and I'm 64), this could be an incentive for me next year.

Strumdaddy
07-20-2014, 09:25 PM
Thanks for the report greenie44. It was just like being there, and considering I'm miles from anywhere in the Australian outback, it was a very pleasant trip.
Hey, anyone have any info on the fan fret uke that Mr Hussey is playing?

Kimosabe
07-20-2014, 09:39 PM
Corey said it was really comfortable to play down low where it starts slanting.

Mattyukaholic
07-20-2014, 10:53 PM
That would be my dream day!! Sounds amazing.

hawaii 50
07-20-2014, 11:21 PM
At least for me. The Ukulele Fest in Kapiolani Park in Honolulu was a complete blast. Thunderstorms were forecast for the whole day, but bright and sunny the whole time. Met loads of UUers - Kimosabe, Uncle Rod, Pueo, geetee (sp), mds, Cali Rose, Hawaii 50, mmstan and even Chuck Moore and his wife. (and probably others I forgot to mention) All great, great people.

Got to sit and play with Kimo Hussey, Corey,Uncle Rod and folks from around the world in a tent Andrew graciously provided.

Yes Rick it was something today...the weather was perfect...not even a drop of rain...wow!
Willie K. was amazing!

the tent that Andrew had for everyone was fantastic....Andrew's wife Jen idea....
don't forget Craig Brandau and Roger and Patrice from Tahiti and David and Sisi Chen, Kalei,Bonnie Sargent,Greg(geetee)Zach and his girlfriend Christine from HMS...Dennis Kim and Utako our friend from Canada....and so many others who said Hi...

but Chuck Moore and MM Stan..that is the crazy best possible....of course Chuck surprised everyone showed up without any notice.....:)
thanks Andrew...was a good day for everyone there....

dkcrown
07-21-2014, 01:27 AM
Heaven on earth. :)

DownUpDave
07-21-2014, 01:34 AM
Thank you for sharing. Reading this post, seeing the pictures and videos really got excited about attending. This whole thread reflects the Mahalo spirit, such a great community and a warm inviting atmosphere.

Thanks again and keep the posts and pictures coming.

barefootgypsy
07-21-2014, 01:39 AM
All -

Please excuse my post if it sounds like gloating - that was not the intent. Just wanted to thanks all those I met and encourage you all to come out next year if you can. And to praise this community - meeting up with UUers was the highlight.I know exactly what you mean - and I am DROOLING! Next year - maybe - I really hope.......:) Glad you had a great time, truly!

sam13
07-21-2014, 02:32 AM
That sounds like a blast, glad you had a wonderful time.

Has the date been set for next years? I would consider flying in from Toronto, ON for it.

Tommy B
07-21-2014, 04:06 AM
Thanks for sharing your experience, Greenie. Sounds you had a blast! I remember having that same feeling of elation & connection with other uke folks during the two big festivals I attended (UkeFest West and NYUF 2006), but that was a long time ago and it was fun for me to read about, and vicariously enjoy, your great day.

rockyl
07-21-2014, 05:42 AM
Thanks for the report greenie44. It was just like being there, and considering I'm miles from anywhere in the Australian outback, it was a very pleasant trip.

It's a Korean made custom Uke by a fellow named Jin Su Park and the brand is called Blue Weed. Those are approximations as I was watching one of Kimo's vid's where he talks about the uke and demo's it. Look on Kimo's website or Youtube for the video.

Next year - Hawaii Uke Festival!

Aloha,
Rocky

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
07-21-2014, 03:16 PM
What a great time! Andrew was the perfect host in providing us with an extra tent to meet and hang out in. He made sure that everyone felt welcomed. I strolled the entire festival (this is a huge event as far as ukulele festivals go) and I can tell you that the HMS tent was THE place to be. Corey, Kimo, Craig and a bunch other UUers kept us entertained throughout the day. (Most of the music at Andrew's tent was better than what was on stage!) For those who have never been fortunate enough to meet and hang out with the people mentioned here, you are really missing out. Stan is Mr Aloha of course and Len is the Ambassador of Ukulele, making sure every one met everyone else. (I shook so many hands I felt like a politician!) Too much fun, too much party (too much cheesecake). I feel truly grateful to be in this business to know so many wonderful people. They ARE Aloha. Mahalo nui loa for such a memorable day. BTW, I discovered the even the sun gods are ukulele fans!
In the pic are Roger, Patrice (from Tahiti) Kimo & Craig (incognito) :)

Newportlocal
07-21-2014, 03:24 PM
What a great time! Andrew was the perfect host in providing us with an extra tent to meet and hang out in. He made sure that everyone felt welcomed. I strolled the entire festival (this is a huge event as far as ukulele festivals go) and I can tell you that the HMS tent was THE place to be. Corey, Kimo, Craig and a bunch other UUers kept us entertained throughout the day. (Most of the music at Andrew's tent was better than what was on stage!) For those who have never been fortunate enough to meet and hang out with the people mentioned here, you are really missing out. Stan is Mr Aloha of course and Len is the Ambassador of Ukulele, making sure every one met everyone else. (I shook so many hands I felt like a politician!) Too much fun, too much party (too much cheesecake). I feel truly grateful to be in this business to know so many wonderful people. They ARE Aloha. Mahalo nui loa for such a memorable day. BTW, I discovered the even the sun gods are ukulele fans!

Like button.

wickedwahine11
07-21-2014, 03:33 PM

I am glad you got a flight and the weather held out for you...and the tent looks like a wonderful place to hang out. It had your good friends and good music, plus shade! The one time I did the Ukulele Festival we melted in the sun and heat. :)

slackkey007
07-21-2014, 04:06 PM

Here's the video of the fan fretted uke Strumdaddy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f95PfeipGIM

caukulele
07-21-2014, 04:13 PM
Wow, it really looked like a spectacular good time! Thank you for sharing your experiences of the day.... Someday I hope to be able to go too!

Nickie
07-21-2014, 04:31 PM
wow, very very cool.....I had painful electrolysis and went to work....didn'tget to touch myu uke....dang it. Glad you had fun!

Strumdaddy
07-21-2014, 05:34 PM
Thanks for posting the video slackkey007. I just stopped for gas at Brewarrina, and got back into coverage......
Besides the frets, that uke sounds great. I don't think Mr Hussey would be playing it if it sounded like a dog - he plays all the best custom ukes around. Good is good, wherever it's made.

Ukulele Eddie
07-21-2014, 06:54 PM
Looks like a great, great time! Will definitely watch out for next year's event.

From now on, I'll always think of Blue Weed when I see a fan fretted uke. This is the first one I've seen and had I not seen Kimo's video, I might have thought somebody slipped me some Blue Weed -- it's very disorienting visually! ;-)

hawaii 50
07-21-2014, 08:01 PM
That sounds like a blast, glad you had a wonderful time.

Has the date been set for next years? I would consider flying in from Toronto, ON for it.

3rd Sunday in July are the normal dates....

greenie44
07-21-2014, 08:24 PM
I feel truly grateful to be in this business to know so many wonderful people. They ARE Aloha.

For the last day, I have been thinking there is something about this little instrument that is almost magical. I mean, I came to a public event, knowing no one, and met world class musicians (Kimo, Corey), world class retailers (Andrew), world class luthiers (that would be Mr. Moore) and loads of world class people from all over the world. And everyone was not just friendly, but made the entire gathering seem like one big ohana.

Pretty dang cool.

Uncle Rod Higuchi
07-21-2014, 10:22 PM
Hey, Greenie, thanks for the thread! So good to meet you and play/participate in the 44th Annual Ukulele Festival Hawaii. The Lt Gov proclaimed July 20, 2014 as Uke Fest Hawaii Day, but it was already that, and so much more!

Andrew Kitakis of HMS (Hawaii Music Supply) deserves as much Aloha and Mahalos that we can send his way! He not only welcomed all ofus UUers to use his tent as our 'official' meet-up location, he even arranged to have a kanikpila tent for us to use throughout the day,and as Chuck Moore put it, it really was THE place to be! Hope we can do it again next year. Each and every UUer who comes, please seek out the HMS tent and remember to bring your ukes!

keep uke'in',

AndrewKuker
07-22-2014, 12:36 AM
Thanks you so much! It was a group effort to get together and have fun.
Props to Roy Sakuma. 44 straight outdoor ukulele festivals with no weather cancellations! And this one was exciting! Willie K, Jake S, first stage, second stage, the guava chicken stand, the other guava chicken stand..and more than anything, meeting up with friends, that IS the best!

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
07-22-2014, 07:06 AM
Thanks you so much! It was a group effort to get together and have fun.
Props to Roy Sakuma. 44 straight outdoor ukulele festivals with no weather cancellations! And this one was exciting! Willie K, Jake S, first stage, second stage, the guava chicken stand, the other guava chicken stand..and more than anything, meeting up with friends, that IS the best!

What? Willie K was there? And they had food too? Shoots, I thought HMS was all that was going on. Next time I walk around a little!

Ukejenny
07-22-2014, 07:18 AM

That is just twenty shades of WOW!!!!!!! Yes, you had the best uke day ever!!!!!!! Any chance of some video links being shared?

Ukejenny
07-22-2014, 07:20 AM
And here is a little clip of jammin' with Kimo. You may recognize some of the folks there.

http://youtu.be/XsF8ay_sr8Mv

And my internet connection is pretty slow here, but I could upload a somewhat shakey video of Jake doing While My Guitar later if folks want.

Dang! I'm not home and the wifi is so slow here!!!!!!! Will have to watch later!

Pueo
07-22-2014, 07:47 AM
Dennis Kim was there?!?!?! I totally missed meeting him. I hung out with his son at UWC. Would have been fun to meet his dad. It really was a great day, and yes sometimes I felt bad about hanging in that tent and pretty much ignoring what was going on at the main stage, but jamming with Corey and Kimo and Uncle Rod and the others was just too much fun!

Mahalo to Andrew for the meeting space. Next year we will park our camp right there by the tent so I won't have to miss a thing!

greenie44
07-22-2014, 02:17 PM
And I know Uke Jenny likes that Shimabukuro fellow. Here is a clip of his closing song at the Fest. Apologies for the shaky camera and the people passing in front, but I was in the back with a long zoom. I think you can still get the idea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQWT3XS-cYk