97 year old evicted for Kala

On one hand I can sympathize with the guy, but on the other, he wanted to play his uke at all hours of the day and/or night without regard to the rights of others. Lots of old people evicted from assisted living facilities because they couldn't/wouldn't comply with facility policies.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure my wife has considered evicting me over the ukulele as well. Glad the story ended well.

Another thread posted about this case linked to an article saying he was forced to move because his room had become a health hazard. The facility said they told him in February that he had to clean the room, and when he didn't he was assessed a $1500 cleaning fee that he could not pay.

Hope I'm still playing, singing and getting around as well when I'm his age. Great to have a happy ending.

He should restrict his playing to hours where it is reasonable, and to locations where others will not be annoyed. There are many people living in these homes and they must all respect each other or things don't work out.

The home should not kick him out without first trying to work with him, and if that is fruitless, providing some help in finding a new place.

Pearl of wisdon #1: Two wrongs don't make a right. Pearl of wisdom #2: Mass media does not always present both sides of an issue fairly.

...but on the other, he wanted to play his uke at all hours of the day and/or night without regard to the rights of others. Lots of old people evicted from assisted living facilities because they couldn't/wouldn't comply with facility policies.

Another thread posted about this case linked to an article saying he was forced to move because his room had become a health hazard. The facility said they told him in February that he had to clean the room, and when he didn't he was assessed a $1500 cleaning fee that he could not pay.

That's what's wrong with the news today, biased, only tells one side of the story. Sensation is more important than accuracy.

That's what's wrong with the news today, biased, only tells one side of the story. Sensation is more important than accuracy.

Agree. Common sense would tell you that he didn't get kicked out for just playing the ukuele.

I thought the title said

97 year old excited for Kala

I suspect laminate bias
I'm with you. Nursing homes today are really cork sniffers when it comes to wood. Which I understand is fairly rare.. in nursing homes.

He could be any one of us! - well I certainly saw myself in there.
He sounded pretty good too.
(Mental note....always make sure the audience is with you, not against you)

Yup. He's a tiny thing. Am guessing that's a tenor and it looks like a guitar in his hands. He's 97. Tough crowd. Here, and in Napa.

He could be any one of us! - well I certainly saw myself in there.
He sounded pretty good too.
(Mental note....always make sure the audience is with you, not against you)

At any rate, nursing homes and ALFs suck, except for just a handfull. I've heard blaring TVs late late at night, and they don't do anything about it. 9 out of 10 times the patient is asleep.....but the neighbors suffer. Myself, I'd rather hear a uke, if the player is decent. Just my opnion. I've seen rooms that were so dirty, they had to be wriped down with bleach and alcohol before hospice nurses could go in and sit with the patient. Once I spent most of my shift knocking cockroaches off my patient. But I digress.

I didn't know you needed to clean your own room in a nursing home. That's one of the things nursing homes are for ... when you've gotten to the point where you need someone else to take care of you, including cleaning your room. And it's not like nursing home residents are super-consumer shopaholics dragging all kinds of stuff back into their rooms. Most of the rooms I've seen are very minimal. You have your bed, your chair, your family picture, your walker/wheelchair, a box of Kleenix, and a comb. Plus a few minor articles that you've taken from other residents, who took them from some other resident before that, who might have taken them from you in the first place. But you've all forgotten where they originated from, they're just roving treasures now. OK, maybe not quite that bad, but close.

In nursing homes, they have staff to do that. Some are failry clean, some are just downright filthy. Depends on the budget. ALFs, it depends on where you are. Some are cleaned by staff, some are not, some do minimal cleaning. Most of them, I woulnd't put a dog in. I've seen a couple of ALFs that are better places to live than my house, but they cost beaucoup dollars. Dementia patient areas (they call them "memory units")which are locked away from the other residents, are the most pitiful.

Top Bottom