Fret Rust?

Yooke

Reaction score
Hi,

What is the cause of frets rusting on a ukulele? Is it poor metal material being used or is it the player's fault?

Will wiping it clean be good enough? Thanks

If it's really rust, the frets are probably lower quality than most, and the plating is either coming off or wearing off (which would mean you're playing a lot-good for you). If it's not yet out of hand and the frets don't feel rough to the touch, you can clean them up with #0000 steel wool (remove strings first) and keep it from becoming a problem by conditioning your fretboard regularly.

If it's really rust, the frets are probably lower quality than most, and the plating is either coming off or wearing off (which would mean you're playing a lot-good for you). If it's not yet out of hand and the frets don't feel rough to the touch, you can clean them up with #0000 steel wool (remove strings first) and keep it from becoming a problem by conditioning your fretboard regularly.

Definitely not from over playing for sure haha, thanks for your answer. It just looks really dull and not shiny, pretty sure its early signs of rust.

Some frets are nickel silver (read a kind of brass) and can get badly tarnished, especially by some player's sweat and body oils. I first use TarnX to remove all oxidation, polish, and keep clean. 3x or 4x steel wool, polishing paper, or a fret polisher. Can make one from a rubber fingernail polisher.

Some frets are nickel silver (read a kind of brass) and can get badly tarnished, especially by some player's sweat and body oils. I first use TarnX to remove all oxidation, polish, and keep clean. 3x or 4x steel wool, polishing paper, or a fret polisher. Can make one from a rubber fingernail polisher.

That's probably the case, sweaty fingers.

Could be the environment too. When I lived in China the pollution caused my frets to rust. Mostly on the high up frets that don't get much use. Just some 0000 steel wool and they clean up fine

Could be the environment too. When I lived in China the pollution caused my frets to rust. Mostly on the high up frets that don't get much use. Just some 0000 steel wool and they clean up fine

Thanks, will try next string change.

agreed with you..... you can always repolish your frets when it dulls.. some time i just use compund, then rub it with some cotton..

My current method is-
-#0000 steel wool frets
-tape off neck exposing frets
-Dremel with buffing disk using brown, then white rouge bars on frets and ends.
-finish with brassO or similar tarnish remover using jewelers cloth, until no more black comes off
-remove tape, dental pick any stuff stuck under fret, oil fretboard..........takes about 20 minutes...then put your sunglasses on!!!

Top Bottom