PDA

View Full Version : New Vintage Uke Day

allanr
07-21-2014, 03:05 PM
I've been trying to keep the UAS (and associated GAS) under control lately so have not been posting many NUDs. But when I saw this one on Evil Bay at a low price I had to bid. I was fortunate to get it at less than my maximum bid.

It is a very lovely Harmony from the 40s or 50s I think. That in itself would be nice, but nicer still is that this one is a concert scale. It's only the 2nd or 3rd concert scale I've seen!

New strings are on it and doing their stretching.

PhilUSAFRet
07-21-2014, 03:08 PM
Congrats, nice find.

coolkayaker1
07-21-2014, 03:34 PM
You've gathered quite an interesting quiver there, sir. Welcome back to UU. Enjoy your photos. Do keep buying, please.

river_driver
07-21-2014, 03:38 PM
Beauty! Feels pretty great to score a nice vintage uke for cheap on the 'bay, doesn't it?

Nickie
07-21-2014, 04:33 PM
Congrqats! Is that a Harmony? It loooks like ours....

Ukulele Eddie
07-21-2014, 07:03 PM
Very nice addition to your growing stable. I recently picked up a Harmony-made 1928 Johnny Marvin Professional Aero-Bridge Tenor. It's really a concert size. It's shockingly light. Makes my Collings UC2, which is actually a bit smaller in body, feel heavy by comparison.

Strumdaddy
07-21-2014, 10:58 PM
I just got a Johnny Marvin as well - the plainer one, still sunburst, but with "normal" bridge. It's basically your new Harmony with a sunburst finish. I love it, nice bluesy tone, loud but very different to my Black Bear concert, kind of like an old Gibson is in the guitar world - earthy tone.
Got it on EBay, then got Jake Wildwood to sort it out for me and post it to Australia. He did a great job too.
I really like the idea of keeping these great old instruments alive. And "Georgia" sounds great on it.
Here's a photo that Jake took (hope that's o.k. with him)

I hope you have as much fun with yours as I have with mine

actadh
07-22-2014, 04:06 AM
Very nice! Looks like my Silvertone which is supposed to be a super soprano. Mine is also very light.

dhoenisch
07-22-2014, 05:08 AM
Very nice score. I also have a plane bridge Johnny Marvin version of that with curly mahogany. Light as a feather, and very nice woody tone. I am a Harmon fan, as you can see by my signature, but will be selling all of my ukes very soon.

Any chance you could snag a shot of the headstock? I'm weird when it comes to the logo on the headstock. I've turned down Harmony instruments with messed up headstock logos.

Dan

Ukejenny
07-22-2014, 07:23 AM
Looks great and so cool that it is a super soprano/concert!

bunnyf
07-22-2014, 06:01 PM
I know exactly how it is. My baritone just broke and while it's out at the shop being repaired, just let me browse eBay a bit. Next thing you know, I'm the proud winner of a sweet looking 40/50s Harmony baritone. Will post pix when it arrives.

Strumdaddy
07-22-2014, 08:14 PM
"Any chance you could snag a shot of the headstock? I'm weird when it comes to the logo on the headstock. I've turned down Harmony instruments with messed up headstock logos " - dhoenisch

Here's a shot of mine -

I like this style logo. Any idea what years it was used?

lakesideglenn
08-18-2018, 10:21 AM
"Any chance you could snag a shot of the headstock? I'm weird when it comes to the logo on the headstock. I've turned down Harmony instruments with messed up headstock logos " - dhoenisch

Here's a shot of mine -

I like this style logo. Any idea what years it was used?

I am reviving this old thread because I just picked up one of these in pristine condition.
Did/can anybody provide some info on the years this logo was used? I can’t find anything specific to this label online.

Ukecaster
08-18-2018, 12:33 PM
Had a Harmony soprano a while back, which I sold later. It was a fun uke, and very affrdable at $60.00 on FleaBay. I haven't tried any bari ukes, but a vintage Harmony baritone is at the top of my list, when I'm ready to take the plunge (pun intended...they're low, right?)