string help

mippy

Reaction score
Ive got a Mahalo uke, one of the little cheap ones, yes i know not the best thing in the world. I want to buy some new strings for it, but im a little confused about what to look for. Looking at them, they have Low G, standard, High this, high that. What should i be looking for?

Thanks all,

Mippy

Standard tunig is G(high)CEA. I would go with that 1st

g(low)CEA is an alternate. This G is the same note just a lower octave.

Alot of people here including myself usually will recommend going with Aquilas strings 1st. They made a big difference on my Kala Concert

I too have recently purchased my first uke - just last evening. It's a tenor (Kala Curly Mango). I figured that I'd want to upgrade the strings and told the sales-person to throw a set of string in the bag. When I got home, I realized that he had given me Martin Flourocarbon strings for soprano/concert. Can I use these on my tenor?

The answer is most likely not the best plan. Partly due to the fact the string tensions will be off and you will most likely not how it plays. Too high of tension means it puts unnecessary strain on the instrument and makes it hard to hold chords down on the neck. Too low of tension means you will get sloppy sound and buzzing. Secondly, the strings may be too short. Some brands make the length "just long enough" and the extra length of the tenor neck might be too long.

Thanks allinfun - that's exactly what I figured, but wanted to confirn.

Top Bottom