HELP -> Flea Friction Tuners Damaging the Headstock?

psesinkclee

Reaction score
I recently got myself a Soprano Surf Flea with the rosewood fretboard and walnut neck/head.

Looking closely at the tuners, I see that the silver metal ring (directly adjacent to the tuning knob itself) turns with the knob, and I'm seeing what looks like dust from it grinding against the wood. :eek:

l_4995510e51a54ff6a3a380d6cdb47123.jpg

I haven't tightened them at all since getting the uke.

Are they supposed to be moving with the knob?

Should I loosen them a bit maybe?

Thanks,
Paul

Last edited:
Thanks Deach.

I spoke with one of the guys at flea market music, and they suggested removing the peg assembly, and cuting small knotched with a tiny file in on the part of the metal finish washer that touches the wood of the head.

It worked like a charm :shaka:

So the metal base-thingy should not turn with the knob then, eh? The filing trick is a way to get it to grab the wood?

JJ

(Heh, heh... "grab the wood"...)

i never noticed that until you mentioned it. the metal ring on my fluke tuners move with the knob as well and have kind of shaved into the headstock. chances are i'm too lazy to disassemble the tuners to fix that. nice that it worked out for you though.

i never noticed that until you mentioned it. the metal ring on my fluke tuners move with the knob as well and have kind of shaved into the headstock. chances are i'm too lazy to disassemble the tuners to fix that. nice that it worked out for you though.

haha. well, it took me all of 10 minutes, I used a pocket knife and scored some tiny knotches in there, they grabbed the wood perfectly.

Now I'm not afraid of ruining my new surf flea :cheers:

Have you ever wondered about something for a while, only to find a thread that answers the exact question that you've been too lazy to ask about? This is one of those times for me. ;) Since I was changing strings on my Flea anyway, I took the tuners apart, filed some little grooves into the metal ring, and now they're not going anywhere. :D

Top Bottom