PDA

View Full Version : Buzzing

DownUpDave
07-22-2014, 04:04 AM
I was just reminded that it is not always the action that causes buzzing. Most of us have heard that ugly buzzing sound, yuck. An action that is too low strummed really hard will set it off. The strings are vibrating against the frets. But you can also cause it with poor technique. The F chord is my nemisis, my ring finger on the first string second fret will sometimes make light contact with the vibrating open C string = buzz. One of my ukes has a bit of a high action with high tension strings. This forces good technique because if I let off on the fretting pressure too soon it will buzz.

None of this is bad because it makes you pay attention to your technique. Any other players out there notice certain elements about your playing that makes you aware of a mistake that needs improving.

I could write a novel about barr chords, somedays I am a champ and somedays a chump.:p

Share some stuff and maybe we can all learn something

moetrout
07-22-2014, 08:36 AM
I feel exactly as you do Dave and even have the same issue with the F chord. Learning to strum and fret with the right amount of pressure takes practice.

Icelander53
07-22-2014, 09:56 AM
You think your buzzing is bad. You should hear the ringing in my ears. :(

It took me many months to grok that I was causing buzzing with the other fingers I wasn't using in fretting because I was letting them brush the strings.