KPK Acacia Concert or wait >>>

Paul December

Reaction score
KPK Acacia Concert or wait for the new 2009 Kala Acacia Concert (concert size won't have the slotted headstock like the tenor)

MGM has the KPK Acacia Concert now, and the Kala Acacia Concert will be out in April. Both should be about the same in price.
Is KPK considered a step up from Kala, or are they in the same league?

I have a KPK soprano and really like it. As far as one being a step avove another I don't know. They are both made overseas KPK is Kelii ukulele moderately priced counterpart. Kala is Kala not really affiliated with a higher end uke. Assuming the would both come from MGM they will have a good setup. Another thing is sevral people have played the KPK ukes ang have had pretty good things to say baout them, the Kala ukes will probably be equally nice but there has not been any real comparison yet. So the real question is can you wait to get the Kala or do you want a new uke now.

I have had a Kala and KPK and they are both fine ukes for the money.

Without the benefit of trying both, I'd go with the Kala Acacia because it has an ebony fretboard with some fancy inlays on it. Admittedly the fancy inlay may not be for everyone, but it appears to look good to me. Ebony fretboard usually only appear on pretty high end ukuleles so that's a pretty cool thing to have on a budget instrument. But I like flashy instruments. If you prefer simpler looking instruments, having tried a few, I think KPK is a great choice too.

I hope MGM is ordering up a slew of the Kala Acacia tenors - from what I've seen on there are a lot of interested parties - me included

Decided not to wait and ordered the (last?) KPK listed by MGM :)
Final decision was purely based on aesthetics. I wanted the Uke to look as plain-as-possible. I believe the KPK doesn't even have a name on the headstock.
Hope it sounds as good as it looks!

Congratulations P12. Isn't that like three new ones in the last month ;) :D

Compared to watches, ukes are down-right-cheap! :)
...the way I see it, I'm saving $$$ ... now to convince my Wife of that! :eek:
I wonder if I can get Mike to ship it marked "old socks" or something.

I could've sworn you just bought a Mainland like a week ago. You have full-blown UAS and there is no cure! :eek:

Compared to watches, ukes are down-right-cheap! :)
...the way I see it, I'm saving $$$ ... now to convince my Wife of that! :eek:
I wonder if I can get Mike to ship it marked "old socks" or something.

Next up, you've got the K's: Kamaka, Kanile'a, KoAloha, Ko'olau, Kelii, etc...:D

Next up, you've got the K's: Kamaka, Kanile'a, KoAloha, Ko'olau, Kelii, etc...:D

Paul Geo and I participate in the same wristwatch forum and unfortunately the same thing happened there to me: Timex-to-Omega-to-Rolex
...I think they call it a Compulsive Behavior Disorder
Thank God I gave up Drinking & Smoking or I wouldn't have my lungs & liver today! On a related note...what's the going rate for a lung & liver nowadays? :p

Fortunately I sold a watch, and have a mini slush fund out of it for ukes.

Decided not to wait and ordered the (last?) KPK listed by MGM :)
Final decision was purely based on aesthetics. I wanted the Uke to look as plain-as-possible. I believe the KPK doesn't even have a name on the headstock.
Hope it sounds as good as it looks!

Congrats on the new uke purchase. I believe there is a name on the headstock. My soprano has a Koa Pili Koko sticker on it under the finish.

Congrats on the new uke purchase. I believe there is a name on the headstock. My soprano has a Koa Pili Koko sticker on it under the finish.

it's true, there's a little sticker, but other than that, it does have a very plain and clean appearance. hope you enjoy your as much as i do mine.

KPK is made under Kelii right?

btw congrats and I think I have the same problem.... My step dad has a Kelii from a couple years ago and being the only one I had access to, I think I got spoiled. I just bought a Kala (one of the chinese made ones:rolleyes:) the other day as a starter so I didn't have to keep stealing his and now I'm itching for a better one, lol! I think I might just have to dip into that tax refund :D

Top Bottom