• Yes

Votes: 13 41.9%
  • No

Votes: 18 58.1%

• Total voters

Yooke

Reaction score
Hi,

So from reading around this forum, I have come to understand that there are four big name brands called the K brands.

They're all very nice but one question keeps popping up.. why don't these K brands ever have any binding?

They look naked to me, ivoroid or tortoise binding might look really nice on some of them.

Is it because the companies are afraid it'll cheapen the ukuleles, or is it because of tradition? Just curious.

Sometimes they do have binding. Just as an example, my Kanilea has tortoise binding.

My Kamaka Ohta-San has rosewood binding. And it's lovely. Kamaka's "deluxe" models all have this, and it certainly drives the cost up, which might explain why it's only offered on a few models.

I just personally would like to see lighter trim because wood binding sort of blends in from a distance.

I guess I should re-word my question: Would you prefer binding that stands out more on these K brands?

I have come to understand that there are four big name brands called the K brands.
For the benefit of those of us without your insight, could you list these please?

I'm guessing the recently-mentioned Kaka brand isn't one of them ;)

Hi,

So from reading around this forum, I have come to understand that there are four big name brands called the K brands.

Just curious.

Of the four "K" brands--Kiwaya, Kala, Kelii and Kamoa-- I think the upgraded models have binding for those willing to spring for looks. :D

Bling=Benjamins.

<kypfer: Kamaka, Koaloha, Kanilea and KoOlau; aka the four 800-pound gorillas at the luau>

Last edited:
Sometimes they do have binding. Just as an example, my Kanilea has tortoise binding.

Was looking at a picture of a Kanilea with tortoise binding on it a few days ago. Freakin awesome looking.

I'm guessing embellishments came later for the same reasons Italian Americans use too much cheese and sauce on their pasta.....they like it! As a gun fancier, I was never crazy about fancy inlays, grip caps, forends, etc. on a high quality piece of gunstock wood.

I cannot vote because I like both looks. My #1preferance is without binding but the Kanile'a K3 & K4 with binding are very classy looking. So to are the top end Kamakas, love them big time.

I would only prefer it if they didn't charge more for it! :D

Yooke, I never much thought of the lack of binding on the "K" brands -- the "tradition" that you note (and the looks without the binding, and the sound, especially) was what made me consider a Kanilea and KoAloha (and buy a KoAloha). The koa on my KoAloha is so beautiful to me that I think binding and such would detract from it.

Got it, Jon. Thanks, yes.

One thing not yet mentioned is that a binding can protect the edge of the body of the instrument from dings, yooke. It may have a practical purpose in that regard. Some bindings are plastic, like tortoise imitation, and rugged.

A fretboard binding might, in theory, help with this protection, too. I had an inexpensive uke slide off its stand and hit the edge of the fretboard once and a fret lifted just a bit. I could hit the fret bar back down and did. I wonder if it would have been intact if it had a fretboard binging perhaps.

Last edited:
Was looking at a picture of a Kanilea with tortoise binding on it a few days ago. Freakin awesome looking.

I'm guessing embellishments came later for the same reasons Italian Americans use too much cheese and sauce on their pasta.....they like it! As a gun fancier, I was never crazy about fancy inlays, grip caps, forends, etc. on a high quality piece of gunstock wood.

phil

this gun analogy fits the situation. i can even live without checkering/texture on a gun stock let alone a cornball fore end stuck on and interrupting the visual flow of the piece. the ukulele without binding is pleasing and zen. with binding it's a bit more tasteful than the gun stock grip cap and fore end as the binding flows around and defines the piece, something in keeping like the individual plies of a laminated gun stock. going further no thanks on the inlays and even highly marbled crotch walnut stocks are too self important.
good topic. binding is really very nice but i can easily live without it. a homely instrument with a great sound will do nicely.

C'mon you guys. These posts are unecessary. The OP is new to the site and asking for serious feedback and thoughts, not for sarcasm and subtle put-downs. Let's keep it real, K?

Well, I, for one, was genuinely interested to know which of the apparent multitude of "K-Brand" instruments were considered to be "the big four".

I've got a Kala. For what I paid for it it's probably not one of these, but it does have binding ;) The chances of me ever seeing one of these fabled big four, let alone playing or owning one, are remote, but it might be interesting to at least know what other people are talking about.

By-the-by ... these mentions of "tortoise" bindings ... is this real tortoise/turtle shell or some kind of fancy wood or other material?

Genuinely interested :)

Got it, Jon. Thanks, yes.

One thing not yet mentioned is that a binding can protect the edge of the body of the instrument from dings, yooke. It may have a practical purpose in that regard. Some bindings are plastic, like tortoise imitation, and rugged.

A fretboard binding might, in theory, help with this protection, too. I had an inexpensive uke slide off its stand and hit the edge of the fretboard once and a fret lifted just a bit. I could hit the fret bar back down and did. I wonder if it would have been intact if it had a fretboard binging perhaps.

My KoAloha and KoAlana both have bound fretboards. It makes them nice and smooth. It would be a shame if it ever got hit hard enough to protect the frets. Make a mess of the binding.

Perhaps not having binding is a way for companies to save cost. I noticed that most ukulele companies don't put bindings on their entry level models.

But I am also curious as to how much labor (or machine time) is involved to apply bindings?

I'm sure this is the reason. The 4 K companies are all Hawaiian ukulele builders. The binding and other decorations are carryovers from the guitar business, and these companies were building just ukuleles for the Hawaiian market before all that crossover stuff effected the ukulele world (perhaps Ko'Olau and Kanile'a to a lesser degree). They all offer the fancy stuff, nowadays. It will be interesting to see how a potential decrease in sales will effect the availability (and cost) of all the different options.

Top Bottom