World's largest ukulele gathering

PhilUSAFRet

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
Last edited:
Cool! Thanks for sharing. Now we know what number to beat. That must have taken a lot of organizing to make it all come together.

Any of us there?

I was part of the Los Angeles Ukulele Expo a few weeks ago, which also tried to break the record held by Japan, but we came up short, about 1050 people. It was fairly well organized, but I don't think they did enough to promote the event far enough in advance. Obviously England did an excellent job of getting the masses out. Seems the Brits are more "tuned in" to the uke, and being a smaller country makes it easier for so many people to come together.

Over 4000 is a daunting number to pull together, but I would think the US has more uke players overall than most any other country, especially with Hawaii. It would be great if in the next couple of years one of the bigger uke festivals would make a push to break the record. Using a stadium is a good idea too, would help to keep things organized, easy parking, preset sections for counting, etc.

I hope they try to break the record in Hawaii again.
I brought my wife with me but she did not play - next time she will.
Even though we fell short, the message was clear - they told everyone that was there, next time come back, and if you each bring one friend, we will double the number. There were 1296 of us at the Blaisedell arena in July 2012. So now we would each need to bring three friends hahaha.
I think we can do it though, just have to promote it on local radio and TV and make it a State / National pride thing. I will bring all of my ukuleles and anyone outside without one will have one to play, that kind of thing.

I hope Hawaii can take back the record someday soon!

I'm pondering a record-breaking meeting in, say, Shanghai in October of 2015. Many uke makers will be at the Music Expo there. Uke players who live in China, Japan, S. Korea and Taiwan are all near-by.

Sound crazy?

Most of the participants were children so involve schools and local tv personalities.
That seemed for work for Southampton.

I'm pondering a record-breaking meeting in, say, Shanghai in October of 2015. Many uke makers will be at the Music Expo there. Uke players who live in China, Japan, S. Korea and Taiwan are all near-by.

Sound crazy?

Top Bottom