kala solid mahogany for first uke?

heckofagator

Reaction score
Hi all, we`re up on the north shore and I was thinking about stopping into HMS and checking out some of their stuff. I've done a little reading and also handled a few at the Aloha stadium swap meet, but nothing too serious.

Was thinking of maybe trying the $250 Kala solid mahogany for a first uke. I'm guessing I should also consider the Pono, although I'm not sure what 250 buys you there. Anything else to consider, give or take a little bit?

We've also got a bunch of luggage and I'm wondering if there's any benefit to linking up the uke here and carrying it home or if it's easier maybe just to ship it. As a guitar player, I'm thinking about a tenor.

Thanks!

HMS will steer you right. Just let them know your budget, play all the ukes they suggest, and come home with the one that feels and sounds best to you. I'd probably have them ship it home for me.

You could do a lot worse than the Kala. But Jim's advice is spot on. You are in an enviable position, being able to "try before you buy", and at a highly regarded shop no less. Talk to the folks there, try what's in your budget, and take home (or have shipped home) the one that feels right in your hands and sounds great to your ears.

Welcome to UU heckofagator, two hundred and fifty dollars will get you a fine instrument. Solid mahogany will have the sweetest sound. As others have said you are going to a fine place "to try before you buy." Jim

Thanks for the thoughts. Yeah, it does seem to be a very good place to check out a bunch of instruments at once. I'm also really liking the acacia with slotted headstock and cool fretboard inlays. Maybe they'll have some deals on some factory seconds, too.

I started with a solid mahogany and it was great. One piece of advice: Later, when you move up to a more expensive uke, keep your first uke and use it for high or low g. You should never get rid of the first one. It will always be special. I wish I hadn't gotten rid of mine.

Kayla SMHT (pre slothead) was my first ukulele. I absolutely love it. A friend told me to buy the best I could afford. Very glad I did.

I'm jsut crazy about my mahogany Kala. It just became my lo G uke. I doubt if I'll ever sell it, sorry guys, LOL. It's been thru a lot with me and has the scars to prove it. Although I do try to treat it like a fine violin....it still gets beat up, but keeps on playin'.

Top Bottom