D chord

Shorebird

Reaction score
The fingertip on my index finger on my right hand is bent. Any ips on playing the "D" chord with this problem?

I barre it with my middle finger.

Any ips on playing the "D" chord
The end joints on my fingers can be bent back a bit. I don't remember whether this is "normal" for me and something I've taken advantage of, or if it's a habit I've developed over the years. Either way, it means I can play the "D"-chord (2220) with just the end of my first or second finger, the rest of the finger being bent far enough back to clear the top string. An alternative in this position is to use the pinky on the fifth fret (2225), effectively a barred chord. You may also be able to fret 2220 using your second, third and fourth fingers, leaving your troublesome first finger "floating".

Hope this helps :)

You may also be able to fret 2220 using your second, third and fourth fingers, leaving your troublesome first finger "floating".
My prefered way.

An alternative in this position is to use the pinky on the fifth fret (2225), effectively a barred chord.
Indeed.

Last edited:
I play the D chord about three different ways. One way that will take your index finger out of play is as follows. Middle finger pressing down on both G & C strings and ring finger pressing down on E string. It helps to bend the middle finger back at the first knuckle, flatten it out, then have ring finger standing up so just the tip is pressing straight down.

Last edited:
A instructor suggested 2nd finger on C Middle finger on G and Ring Finger on E

I am confused, isn't 2nd finger and middle finger the same :confused:

Maybe what you meant is middle on G, index on C and ring on E. it is all jammed up like a pyramid. Acoustic guitar player will recognise this as a way to play the A chord. I can do this on a tenor uke but anything smaller there is not enough room for me. Real easy transistion from a G chord

The D chord (2220) is a difficult one for me to play as well because of my large fingers. I use the alternative 2225 but, if that does not sound right in the song I am playing I simply barre the second fret and strum only the top three strings omitting the A string. If I hit the A string, while barring the second fret I am playing a D6 chord.

One of UU's finest, Petey Houdini.

5567 Bb shape. You can slide up and down the neck. Try Bb, B, C, C#, D, Eb, E.

I have tried various ways over time, and have not found a "one size fits all" solution. But what I do find is that it can all depend on which chord comes before the D. Sometimes I use three fingers in a row on the 2nd fret, sometimes a scrunched up G shape, sometimes 2225, and very occasionally 7655. But as none of them have become instantaneous, I tend to go for whichever is easiest to move to.

My interpretation is that "play it like a G chord ... shift up one string" means to use the same finger formation as a three-finger G chord (index, ring, middle) but with the ring finger moved one fret down (i.e., nutward), forming a three-finger Gmaj7. Then shift this formation over one string, fingering the G, C and E strings using, in order, the index, ring and middle fingers. This stacking may make it easier for some to scrunch the fingers together..

So, you're talking 2220, fingered 1,3,2,0 correct?

The 2220, fingered 1,3,2,0 version is impossible for me on a soprano, just barely manageable on a concert, and opens up for me on a tenor. I just can't cram three of my fat fingers into those narrowly spaced frets on a soprano. The up side is that the soprano is the easiest of the lot to barre.

I have pretty small hands so I can manage three fingers on the second fret no problem. My fingers don't bend back enough for partial barring on strings 2, 3 & 4 to work for me. OTOH, I can easily go from D to D7 by simply adding my little finger on the first string, third fret.

Top Bottom