Video series

Pete Howlett

Reaction score
There was a great lament went up when I took down all of my YouTube videos. I did this firstly because I was tired of getting flamed and criticised by no-nothing 'experts' (I've been working wood for over 40 years) and secondly because I am in partnership with a media company to produce a series of videos on ukulele making.

With my German intern gone and some of my back log cleared I am planning the first video to be shot in September. This is a 'short' on applying an oil finish. This is primarily to 'test' the shooting and editing process and will be available to stream for a nominal fee. It will probably be of limited interest since there is much free content out there on this finish.

However the next video will be of interest to all aspiring luthiers. Its title is Woodworking for Luthiers and will cover hand tools and their maintenance, bandsaw basics focusing on resawing and getting yield from billets, router techniques focusing on form and jig making, and how to set up your workshop with ideas on benching and shop tooling.

The third video is for the general public and will be a complete build video for the beginner - The Boat Paddle Ukulele. It will be accompanied with a full set of drawings and templates and a coffee table style tomb... My partners have a magazine interested in this and we intend to tour it in the US and Canada through their existing distribution channels. This package is aimed at 'grandpas' who want to build their grandchildren a simple instrument - that's the pitch anyway :)

The 4th and 5th videos will be the real deal for most of you here. The definitive build video and accompanying book - The Hawaiian Tenor Ukulele and The Californian Tenor Ukulele.

If you want to see the production values of my partners who have just finished shooting a 36 episode series for American TV on quilting!!! (coals to Newcastle) see their channel here

Last edited:
Thanks for the update Pete. Saw a few of the ArtisanMedia videos on leather repair. They are quite good.

You are right. Moderators need to move this. I guess they haven't noticed or something....

I'm glad you put it up here as I never go to any other parts of UU than here and I never would have seen it.

Top Bottom