help me avoid annoying neighbor

remy

Reaction score
So I've been kind of considering getting a second uke for a while now. I currently have the flea, and I like it, but I kind of wanted to get something that had a more plucky, Hawaiian sound, and a more traditional look. Something I could go sit on the beach and play for the tourists in a cute little dress with a hibiscus blossom behind my ear (um, at Coney Island? Far Rockaway? Yeah, so the beach thing is just a fantasy) It's all crazy talk though because I clearly don't NEED another uke, and those are completely superficial reasons for wanting one!

But anyway, one issue with the flea has been that it's so loud, and my neighbor periodically pops by to annoy me, so there's no pretending I'm not home if I happen to be playing when he knocks on my door. I have resorted to playing on the bathroom floor with the door closed, but I bet he can still hear me. Not to mention, the tiles are cold...

Is there any uke that would satisfy all of these conditions? Pretty, plucky, and quiet? (like the perfect wife!) Under $200 hopefully.

I also kind of feel like the flea isn't real great for finger picking, since I can't seem to do this at all... Am I wrong? it could very well be me though!

Something made of nato wouldn't be too loud.

If you're not looking to perform with it and just want something to play indoors quietly, you can look into one of the electric solid body ukes like the bugsgear eleuke or the risa ukestick and use headphones but those dont look like traditional ukes at all. they look like electric guitars.

If you're not looking to perform with it and just want something to play indoors quietly, you can look into one of the electric solid body ukes like the bugsgear eleuke or the risa ukestick and use headphones but those dont look like traditional ukes at all. they look like electric guitars.

HUH...:rolleyes: I have an electric piano for this very reason, but it just never occurred to me to get an electric uke!!! This is really interesting. That would solve a lot of problems if I could play with headphones. Would I need an amp to plug the headphones into, or could they go right into the uke? Also, is the feel of the electric (like the ukestick looks kinda weird!) comparable to a regular ukulele? Does it make absolutely no sound at all without any amplification/headphones?

if you can plug up the soundhole then a lot less sound will come out, might be kinda of annoying getting said item in and out, but it might work for cheaper then an electro uke.

... Also, is the feel of the electric (like the ukestick looks kinda weird!) comparable to a regular ukulele? Does it make absolutely no sound at all without any amplification/headphones?

It makes a sound. You can hear it if you're in the room but if the tv is on, you won't hear it much. The feel is comparable. It's a little heavier but similar.

Ukulelereview.com has a review of the uke stick here. There is a sound sample at the bottom of both amped up and not, so you can get a sense of the sound. As for needing an amp i think it depends on the pickup. I know some eleuke mdels have headphone jacks as well as a jack to go out to the amp.

Get whatever you want! Tell your neighbor to bugger off. :p

I say you should hit your neighbor over the head with your uke!

Here's a link to MGM's current Eleuke offerings (you can plug headphones into these directly):

http://search.stores.ebay.com/Music...fsopZ3QQfsubZ12235086QQsaselZ34517586QQsofpZ0

THANKS SO MUCH!!! I'm quite nearly over the edge on the eleuke. (Sorry, the ukestick would just be too embarrassing if I ever had a boy over. Oh wait... that's never happening again.:( Nevermind.) But why doesn't MGM have a soprano? I'd really like to have some consistency, since I play a soprano now. How often does he get in new stock? I'd really like to have this uke SOON though, because I can't be sitting around on the cold tiles in the bathroom with my flea for the rest of winter.

I would really like to order from MGM if I can, though, so maybe I will consider the concert. For those of you who switch back and forth between soprano and concert, how different are they?

AWERHRHGHHGH...... TELL ME WHAT TO DO!!!!

Get whatever uke you wish and put up a sign on your door saying,

Recording In Process: Do Not Disturb.

:nana:

:rotfl:

That would be awesome! Then I could make really weird sounds, like I could pop that poppy paper stuff that comes in packages all day long, or read the whole bible backwards in a klingon accent, or I could just spend days frying pickled cabbage and garlic and letting it ferment. And every so often I'd go outside for a cigarette wearing nothing but a skirt made out of metrocards. I bet he wouldn't knock on my door then!

Of course, folks, shouldn't we be happy when our neighbors try to befriend us? Should I really be shopping for a ukulele for the sole purpose of not having to talk to my neighbors because they know that I'm home? I feel like there's something wrong with me...with New York... with the world these days... but then you all took my side, so we're cool!:D

THANKS SO MUCH!!! I'm quite nearly over the edge on the eleuke. (Sorry, the ukestick would just be too embarrassing if I ever had a boy over. Oh wait... that's never happening again.:( Nevermind.) But why doesn't MGM have a soprano? I'd really like to have some consistency, since I play a soprano now. How often does he get in new stock? I'd really like to have this uke SOON though, because I can't be sitting around on the cold tiles in the bathroom with my flea for the rest of winter.

I would really like to order from MGM if I can, though, so maybe I will consider the concert. For those of you who switch back and forth between soprano and concert, how different are they?

AWERHRHGHHGH...... TELL ME WHAT TO DO!!!!

The difference between soprano and concert is noticeable, but not bad at all. I think you'd be comfortable with either one. Concerts are a little easier if you play on the upper frets, but even small hands rarely have trouble adjusting to playing chords on the lower frets. :D

E-mail MGM and see if he has a soprano kicking around; he doesn't always list every single item he has but he'll post it if you ask. If not, I'd say go for the concert. If 4-foot-tall elementary schoolers on Youtube can handle a full-size guitar, then you can handle a uke a little bigger than your current one. ;)

That ought to get you lots and lots of really creepy friends.

(I like my really creepy friends but then, you know all about me by now.)

Fine, I won't wear it to ukefest... or maybe should i wear it to ukefest?

Last edited:
Top Bottom