How playing an instrument benefits your brain - TED talk

GinnyT11

Reaction score
This abbreviated TED talk shows how music, and especially learning how to play an instrument, activates and energizes our brain. The cognitive tasks used are then applied to other brain functions.

I like the mention that "learning to play an instrument is like having a full-body workout for the brain."

Very good information. Thanks for posting. I was sure learning to play the ukulele is good for you now here is some supporting arguments
Cliff

Thanks for posting this, Ginny. I saw it last night, and if I hadn't been in the middle of such work turmoil, would have posted it myself. I'm glad you did.

Yeah. Wasn't someone asking recently how to stay motivated? Watching this should help. Thanks.

This is tremendous motivation to me. Not only does it make me proud that I can play an instrument, but it seems to be an excellent way to keep an aging brain sharp. (Yes, I can play, but where did I leave my ukulele?)

So true! It resonated especially with me since last week I (finally) started private uke lessons. (Of course, my instructor is trying to convert me to the guitar, but that's another story. "The ukulele is like a little car. Big cars are available". Not exactly a direct quote, but close enough.)

Then why is it I still can't remember why I walked into the room?

(Of course, my instructor is trying to convert me to the guitar, but that's another story. "The ukulele is like a little car. Big cars are available". Not exactly a direct quote, but close enough.)
I would say to that instructor "You have a little mind. There are instructors with big minds available, and I'm going to work with one of them instead of you." OK, back to the thread topic . . .

Does this apply only to those who read scores and play at the same time?

That would be hard to know exactly, Andy.
I think the educator's message is that using so many senses and brain functions—eyes on music, hands moving and playing, possibly voice singing, ear evaluating, and other brain functions checking rhythm, and perhaps coordinating with others—that many brain areas are stimulated together. That keeps everything up there operating smoothly for when you need to use your brain for other multi-function activities.

Top Bottom