Mike Pereira Custom Soprano #143 (Deep body, Honduran Rosewood/Bearclaw Sitka Spruce)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ukulele Eddie

Reaction score
This is a gorgeous looking and sounding custom soprano by well-regarded master luthier Mike Pereira. This uke really opened my eyes to how good the smaller size ukes can sound. It has a deep body, which contributes to its excellent lower register sounds. When I took it into McCabe's to lower the action, everybody was impressed by its sound.

Master grade Honduran rosewood body and bear claw Sitka spruce top. Maple-bound Ebony fingerboard. Ebony bridge. Honduran rosewood/maple/Ebony headstock overlay. Bone nut and saddle. Gotoh deluxe style friction tuners. Oil varnish. Strung with Aquila Reds, but it also sounds great with Worth Clears and Living Waters, too.

$600 shipped CONUS with hard case. Prefer check but you can paypal if you cover the fees. PM me with questions. I've sold three other ukes on UU and everyone so far has been very pleased with their purchases.

View attachment 69331
View attachment 69332
View attachment 69333

View attachment 69330

Last edited:
Given my lack of skill, I'm not sure that will help you realize the beauty of this instrument, but, sure, I'll post something sometime today.

I recorded a bunch of stuff yesterday with the plan to edit down to a short 3 minute clip of various snipets. I'm having some challenges with editing software, so I'll re-record a few things today as individual files and post a link to those.

I'm just bumping because for some reason it's still showing that Glenn's comment is the most recent. I did add the sound sample.

I had the chance to play this instrument yesterday and it's a beauty. It's built like a tank -- I mean that in a totally good way, which is to say the build quality is superb, the woodwork is gorgeous, and it has a really solid, substantial feel -- and it has a lovely, rich, full, sound. If I hadn't just added a new member to the family (I'm ashamed to tell you all how many ukes I have now) I'd be giving this one a long hard look.

Sorry, I just made it public. Should be accessible. Let me know if you have any problems with it.

Last edited:
Bumping to see if thread shows I've replied. Weirdly, this thread continues to show Glenn as last poster from yesterday AM. Even though Bill, Glenn and I have each posted since then.

Edit: Yes, the "Last Poster" seems to be working again.

Re-posting description and pics as the original post is gone. Vanished. Spooky stuff with UU these past few days...

This is an incredible custom soprano uke from master luthier Mike Pereira. Its tone is amazing and it has an an exceptional depth to the lower register, a result not only of the master craftsmanship but the deep body. The uke features master grade woods, with a Honduran Rosewood body and bearclaw Sitka spruce top with rosewood rosette. Maple-bound Ebony fingerboard. Gotoh deluxe friction tuners. Oil varnish. Strung with Aquila Reds. Includes hard case.

I'm a complete novice, but here is a sound sample featuring snippets from a 20-min practice session. https://soundcloud.com/ukulele-eddie/mp143-sample-07-27

$625 shipped CONUS. PM or email me at eddiemonnier at me dot com.

View attachment 69480View attachment 69481View attachment 69482View attachment 69483View attachment 69484

Ok Eddie no more lame excuses about being new and lack of skill. That was a solid sound clip and I enjoyed your playing. Great full sounding soprano. Someone will be very happy with this instrument. I happen to be in tenor mode right now or I might.

Thanks, Dave. You're very kind.

This is a truly exceptional Uke. If the fretboard was a bit wider (eg, 1 1/2) it would very likely be my forever soprano. And if somebody doesn't jump on this soon, I'll probably just keep it because I'm growing re-attached to it (my wife had it in Japan for a month).

(Preview: next up for sale will be my Collings UC2)

As an owner of a MP tenor, I can confirm that Mike's work is of the highest standard. If my puggy hands would fit, I'd buy this beautiful instrument. What a bargain at this asking price. GLWS.

I checked out those photos, Eddie, and I just can't get over how stunning that wood is. Did you buy that floor from Lumbar Liquidators or was it professionally installed? Lol.

Mike P charges last I recall is $1200 plus a wait for that model. It has unique woods, and wood inlays on lower bout and headstock that no one will find at the price fretboard binding, body binding, heel cap, mop logo inlay, fancy headstock, the whole enchilada. Mike offers it...let aLone the steal price Eddie is offering it. Lovely score for someone.

If I can find it, I'm going to link the Ken Middleton review of a different Mike P ukulele; while it's not this exact one, Ken gives important information about Mike's build quality and philosophy. I'll link it if I can find it.

Last edited:

Well, that came right up in a search. Lol. I have owned three MP ukes and i agree with Ken's words.

PS for anyone wanting a uke with slotted head and inlays like Ken is playing, contact Mike P, he's super nice. It'll run two grand, but still a good value.

The steal is Eddie's bearclaw Sitka spruce uke.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom