What's the Scoop on Moore Bettah ukes?

Howie1947

Reaction score
They seem very nice, but kind of pricy?

Popcorn munching. Here comes the show. :cool:

They seem very nice, but kind of pricy?

Noticed that myself. I've always thought the artistic value of these ukes must have a lot to do with the price. Not my style but I must admit I'm completely wowed by them. The maker is an artistic master imo. Now as to how well they sound I think that's well established that they sound very good indeed. My only curiosity is do they play easier by far than most other ukes?

Noticed that myself. I've always thought the artistic value of these ukes must have a lot to do with the price. Not my style but I must admit I'm completely wowed by them. The maker is an artistic master imo. Now as to how well they sound I think that's well established that they sound very good indeed. My only curiosity is do they play easier by far than most other ukes?

I've always seen his ukes as a fairly standard setup (for the most part) with whimsical sophistications to exhibit his art. Curious sound holes, much inlay work, etc. If those things speak to you and you've a few thousand to put into an instrument, you'll end up with something unique and special in your arms.

'Tis the only uke I lust for, now that I have my Compass Rose. How to explain it............................. Toyota makes some fine cars. Go to the dealer and take a test drive. Nice car, right? Now go right over to the Porche, Jag or Mercedes dealer, and give one of their new cars a whirl. Just a different level.

'Tis the only uke I lust for, now that I have my Compass Rose. How to explain it............................. Toyota makes some fine cars. Go to the dealer and take a test drive. Nice car, right? Now go right over to the Porche, Jag or Mercedes dealer, and give one of their new cars a whirl. Just a different level.

Except you can't get a Moore Bettah test drive.

Yeah you're right; in this case the show room is generally empty. But it's kinda like driving a DeLorian...............you need to know a current owner

Except you can't get a Moore Bettah test drive.

True, but if any uke has resale value it is a Moore Bettah.

Why do I want one? I have never heard one - in person or in videos - that did not sound wonderful. Second (and this is subjective), I think they are beautiful works of art. Chuck uses beautiful wood and has intricate, stunning inlay - if you like that, which I do. I recognize everything is subjective, there are people on UU that refuse to buy a KoAloha because they don't like the headstock - just as there are those that won't buy a glossy (or satin) uke because they don't like the appearance. Third, if you are able to get your hands on one of his custom ukes, they are like snowflakes - no two are alike. The same man that did the tiki uke did the coconuts one and the dragon one -- all different but all striking in their own way.

I would never advocate someone going into debt for any uke, even a MB. But my grandfather used to always say, "how many U-Hauls have you ever seen in a cemetery?" You can't take it with you. And if you have the money to afford a beautiful looking, gorgeous sounding, one of a kind work of art, why not?

As to why they cost what they do..they are handmade by one man in a solar powered workshop, and they often involve many hours of intricate work. Like all handmade things, that is going to cost more than anything factory made will. And frankly, you are paying for his expertise and time. I bet there are a lot of folks around these parts that would be happy to pay him to make them a uke. And others that wouldn't - different strokes for different folks.

True, but if any uke has resale value it is a Moore Bettah.

Why do I want one? I have never heard one - in person or in videos - that did not sound wonderful. Second (and this is subjective), I think they are beautiful works of art. Chuck uses beautiful wood and has intricate, stunning inlay - if you like that, which I do. I recognize everything is subjective, there are people on UU that refuse to buy a KoAloha because they don't like the headstock - just as there are those that won't buy a glossy (or satin) uke because they don't like the appearance. Third, if you are able to get your hands on one of his custom ukes, they are like snowflakes - no two are alike. The same man that did the tiki uke did the coconuts one and the dragon one -- all different but all striking in their own way.

I would never advocate someone going into debt for any uke, even a MB. But my grandfather used to always say, "how many U-Hauls have you ever seen in a cemetery?" You can't take it with you. And if you have the money to afford a beautiful looking, gorgeous sounding, one of a kind work of art, why not?

As to why they cost what they do..they are handmade by one man in a solar powered workshop, and they often involve many hours of intricate work. Like all handmade things, that is going to cost more than anything factory made will. And frankly, you are paying for his expertise and time. I bet there are a lot of folks around these parts that would be happy to pay him to make them a uke. And others that wouldn't - different strokes for different folks.

Well put. And an enthusiastic amen! One can dream...

The question asked by the OP cannot be easily answered. But for those of us who are lucky enough to own one of Chuck's ukuleles, it is not just about the artistry of his beautiful inlays. Chuck's ukuleles have the total package. Impeccable craftsmanship, unequaled playability, and most importantly fantastic sound. They inspire you to be your best. I own, or have owned many top notch, high end ukuleles. But my Moore Bettahs are what I reach for more than any other. IMO there simply are no other ukes that compare. High prices do not always mean that you will get a great ukulele. But with Chuck's ukes, you get what you pay for.

I study an esoteric Javanese martial art. A couple years back, I had a bumper sticker made: Pukulan Pentjak Silat Sera: If You Have to Ask, You Don't Need to Know ...

It was a joke, and it seemed like half the people who saw it up pulled up next to me and asked, and I was happy to tell them.

Without any snarkiness intended, I kind of think that applies here. If you know much about custom ukulele luthiers, then you know about Moore Bettahs. All it takes is a fast check on Google -- when they sell for more used than new? That ought to tell you all you need to know about quality.

The most recent one Chuck put up for sale sold within two minutes, and there was a line; you can't get on his list.

That ought to tell you something about the perceived quality, too ...

If you're ever on Oahu call me up and I can show you mine. Andrew -(808)781-9168 ….then you can try to get one. It's like Walt Disney said "“It's kind of fun to do the impossible.”

I have a relatively "bling free" Moore Bettah (the wood is beautiful, of course, and there's a nice rosette with matching inlay on the bridge, but no fancy fretboard or headstock inlay), and it's worth to me what I paid for it because it's easy and great fun to play, it's impeccably built, and it has a very noticably richer tone than any other ukulele I've played that isn't a Moore Bettah. I can's say that it's x times better than an ukulele for which I paid x times less, but I do feel like I got a bargain. My point is that the value of this instruments goes well beyond the visual artistry of them. They're incredibly well designed and built to produce awesome sound.

Like most custom ukes; Chuck puts a little of his soul in each uke. He has a good soul so his ukes have good hana. Mine will be handed down to future family generations as part of the family instrument library as will my Griffin tenor and Webber baritone. The others I have will either be given away or sold.

Amazing tributes to the skills of this builder guys. I certainly hope I get to hear one someday. Played by someone other than me hopefully. I can make really nice ukes sound pretty average. :(

To be honest, I have always wondered how Chuck is able to sell them at such low prices. The number of man hours that goes into each instrument must be insanely high.

A custom guitar does not require much more effort, and would be priced much, much higher.

I have a relatively "bling free" Moore Bettah (the wood is beautiful, of course, and there's a nice rosette with matching inlay on the bridge, but no fancy fretboard or headstock inlay), and it's worth to me what I paid for it because it's easy and great fun to play, it's impeccably built, and it has a very noticably richer tone than any other ukulele I've played that isn't a Moore Bettah. I can's say that it's x times better than an ukulele for which I paid x times less, but I do feel like I got a bargain. My point is that the value of this instruments goes well beyond the visual artistry of them. They're incredibly well designed and built to produce awesome sound.

My main player is my re-entrant MB. It is also relatively bling free for a MB. AAA Koa with cocobolo appointments and fretboard, with a simple gold MOP palm tree inlay on the slotted headstock. Just a very classy, rich looking ukulele. I bought it from The Music Emporium in Lexington, MA in the spring of 2010, back when Chuck used to sell to them as a dealer.

Two years ago I was offered $3500.00 plus an almost new KoAloha Picasso styled Red Label in trade for it from another UU member. The KoAloha sold new for $2200.00 from HMS. I thought long and hard about it, but couldn't bring myself to do the trade. Sometimes the best deals are the ones that you don't make. Money can't buy you love. :)

I haven't seen and heard as many high-end ukes as some UU members, but the MooreBettah's I've seen and heard are the equal to or better than anything else I've seen, both in fit and finish and in tone. I haven't actually played one, so I can't tell you how they feel and play. Just my opinion.
For my money however, a Kanilea fancy koa slot head concert with tortoise binding is at the top of my list.

Top Bottom