Aquila Red Concert low G......Squeak, squeak, squeak!

stevejfc

Reaction score
Recently picked up a Boat Paddle 12 Fret Concert from another UU member which was strung with Oasis Fluorocarbons low G, in which the G string is wound. The G string squeaking drove me crazy. Normally, I string Living Waters low G, but the unwound CEA Oasis sound better than expected, ..........so I thought maybe I just pick up one of the Aquila low G unwound Reds, and try that out. No issue with the nut obviously. Anyway, strung it up with the Aquila low G, and guess what? Squeak, squeak, squeak. Yeah, it's unwound, but it ain't a non- squeaker. Tone is better than decent, but sliding up the fret board: Chalk on the blackboard!

Anybody else had the same problem? I guess I thought the unwound Aquila low G should solve 3 low G problems: Tone, string diameter, and squeaking. I give it an 8.5 for tone, a 7 for diameter, and a 3 for squeaking.

Anybody else had the same problem?
Mine squeaked a bit when new. It doesn't now. Whether that's down to "bedding in" or simply me picking my fingers up properly, I don't know. A bit of talc on the fingertips can help if the problem is caused by dampness. I've played guitar for many years, so I'm used to squeaking (and working on not squeaking). When I start to squeak I usually find it's just down to sloppy left-hand work or not "sitting up properly". If I want a slide, finger the string firmly, if I'm moving around the fretboard, lift my fingers clear.

It's a habit I've got into that works for me ... YMMV :)

I don't hear a squeak like with metal strings, more a whispery 'shuuush'.

Starting to think that I got a bum string. It squeaks about the same as the Oasis wound low G it replaced. I'll give the sandpaper a go as Rick suggested.

Top Bottom