PDA

View Full Version : Another string thread.........I need your help

DownUpDave
07-25-2014, 04:06 PM
I have a Pete Howlett tenor that is on the bright side and although it sounds nice I want it much more mellow, with high G. Here are the strings I have tried

Oasis warm, both high and low G = higjer tension than I like, kinda warm but not enough.

Aquila Reds, yes they are bright and loud but I liked the tension.

Worth CM ( concert size to try and mellow it out) not bad, medium tension

Aquila nylgut, great tension but standard Aquila sound.

Worth Brown BT = Weird string on this uke, high tension, very bright when finger picked, warm and muted when strumed with flesh. Metalic sounding when strummed with nails. It is like WB has a dual personality.

I like a medium tension at most, this action is on the high side, larger diameter strings than the browns and something that will give me a warm full sound.

What do you guys and girls suggest I try next or next or next.

Jim Hanks
07-25-2014, 05:18 PM
How about one of the Southcoast soft sets? Are you willing to go lower than C tuning? How much lower? HU-NW set would get you reentrant G tuning with lower tension and fatter strings. Gotta be about as mellow as you could get on a tenor.

If you need C tuning, medium tension, you'd have to go up to the SLMU set. No idea how those would compare with the other strings you've tried.

tangimango
07-25-2014, 06:40 PM
Try some koolau strings found on hms website. There pretty mellow in sound. I really liked the koolau golds and aolihi

Icelander53
07-25-2014, 10:05 PM
Try some koolau strings found on hms website. There pretty mellow in sound. I really liked the koolau golds and aolihi

I'd agree except for the fact I consider them a very high tension string. I think they are beautifully mellow strings. I'm thinking of taking them off my Pono due to the high tension issue and that makes me very sad. I haven't heard a better string anywhere.

Jim Hanks
07-26-2014, 12:48 AM
I'd agree except for the fact I consider them a very high tension string. I think they are beautifully mellow strings. I'm thinking of taking them off my Pono due to the high tension issue and that makes me very sad. I haven't heard a better string anywhere.
If you're thinking of taking them off anyway, how about tuning them down to Bb or A and see how you like it. I'd be curious to know

hammer40
07-26-2014, 03:02 AM
I enjoy Fremont Black Lines quite a bit, give them a try, I think you'll find them quite nice. Or Southcoast, he has a very wide range to experiment with.

PhilUSAFRet
07-26-2014, 03:41 AM
How about one of the Southcoast soft sets? Are you willing to go lower than C tuning? How much lower? HU-NW set would get you reentrant G tuning with lower tension and fatter strings. Gotta be about as mellow as you could get on a tenor.

If you need C tuning, medium tension, you'd have to go up to the SLMU set. No idea how those would compare with the other strings you've tried.

Strings can get pricey. I agree with Jim. AT this point, I also suggest you contact Dirk at Southcoast and provide him that list of strings you've tried and what sound you are going for.

1931jim
07-26-2014, 04:22 AM
I enjoy Fremont Black Lines quite a bit, give them a try, I think you'll find them quite nice. Or Southcoast, he has a very wide range to experiment with.
I agree with hammer40. They sound very nice (to me) on my Gretsch G9120 tenor SM. The solid mahogany top certainly came alive. Jim

stevejfc
07-26-2014, 10:01 AM
I agree with Eugene, Living Waters are well balanced with rich mellow tones.

DownUpDave
07-27-2014, 03:59 AM
@ Jim Hanks, thanks for the info on South Coast. I like the idea of the "soft" series. Only problem is shipping to Canada is expensive. A set of strings with shipping will be over $20.00

Thanks for those who mentioned Living Waters, been curious about them and wanting to giving them a try. Same goes to those mentioning the Freemont Black lines.

Uke Republic carries Living Water and Blacklines, also carries Orcas. I will order those three sets and give them all a test. As a foot note I don't cut my strings when I take them off to try another set. That way I can use them again on something else. A great excuse to buy more ukes" Hey look at all these string sets that need a home" :confused:

Some people may think all this string changing is a bit wacko.

*Gretsch came with Aquilas, love the sound, still on there.
*Koahola stock strings, love the sound, still on there.
*Islander came with Aquilas gave it 3 weeks switched to Martin M600 and love them, never switching.
*Pete Howlett has a tone in there I can't seem to find. All strings have sounded good, some higher tension than I like. But I feel this uke has a great sound that is dieing to be discovered with the right strings. So I keep looking.

Icelander53
07-27-2014, 04:02 AM
If you're thinking of taking them off anyway, how about tuning them down to Bb or A and see how you like it. I'd be curious to know

That would be worth a try. I've never done that and don't know how that works so I'll do some research.

Edit: OK I tried Bb and was not wowed by the sound. I like that C tuning on the songs I'm doing. Made it sound duller and a little more guitar like to my ear but I only tried it for a few moments. I have a practice session in a few minutes so I may go back and play with it later.

Edit 2: I tried it on my Moku Spruce top with Oasis warm strings and it actually sounds quite good on that uke. How very very interesting.

DownUpDave
08-18-2014, 05:38 AM
Try some Living Waters, Dave. They are a well balanced set that leans toward the mellow side.

Thanks to "eugene ukulele" and "stevefjc" for recommending the Living Waters strings. They have been on the Pete Howlet for 5 days now and I love the sound, just what I was looking for. They are on the medium to quite side compared to other strings I have tried on this uke but the tone is there so I can live with less volume. I did order Freemont Blacklines and Orcas at the same time but I think I will leave the Living Waters on for a good while, or until I am bored .:rolleyes: Thanks to all those that made suggestions.