Affect of climate changes on a ukulele?

smithillusions

Reaction score
Hey everyone I am fairly new to ukulele and wanted to ask about climate changes with ukuleles. I currently live in south Florida (brutally hot, humid, tropical climate) but I will be in Alaska for three months-August through October- and I wanted to know if I might encounter any problems with my ukulele in subjecting it to this change in environment. The ukulele I want to take is a solid wood cedar top with acacia sides. I apologize if this is a stupid question, but I wanted to be sure before lugging my best uke along for the trip. I have it in a good case with a humidifier. Thanks!

You may want to let the ukulele come up -or down - to room temperature before playing.

Hey everyone I am fairly new to ukulele and wanted to ask about climate changes with ukuleles. I currently live in south Florida (brutally hot, humid, tropical climate) but I will be in Alaska for three months-August through October- and I wanted to know if I might encounter any problems with my ukulele in subjecting it to this change in environment. The ukulele I want to take is a solid wood cedar top with acacia sides. I apologize if this is a stupid question, but I wanted to be sure before lugging my best uke along for the trip. I have it in a good case with a humidifier. Thanks!

If you have it in a good case with a hygrometer, just keep it stored in the case and check on the hygrometer regularly (every day or two at first). If it becomes subjected to huge temperature fluctuations (not an issue this time of the year), let it settle to room temperature while still in the case. This makes it a slower process without rapid temperature changes. Taking it out and playing it for a few hours shouldn't cause any issue, even if it's horribly dry.

Try sending a private message to UU member Yukon Cornelius. He lives in Alaska and, if I remember correctly, used to live in Georgia. He may be able to advise you about caring for a solid wood ukulele in Alaska.

Doesn't seem that bad in October yet, but I guess it depends on what part of the state.
http://www.anchorage.climatemps.com/october.php

My rule of thumb is treat your ukulele as if were alive, don't leave it in the car, is it too cold, is it thirsty?. You get the idea.

Top Bottom