printed graphics on ukulele COOL or TACKY ?

tangimango

Reaction score
saw some cool artwork painted on guitars etc. and was thinking why not on a ukulele. I guess the art work has to be a personal thing but do you like the look of printed graphics or art work done on your instrument or like the plain wood look?

I believe art belongs on a wall. Some people love blingy ukes and that is their personal preference. To each his own.
I am a simple person and I think ukuleles that scream "look at me" have the wrong vibe.

to each their own. I wouldn't be against a uke that is painted or woodburnt as long as it is the best sounding uke for my money. but I can't ever say never. I like the looks of the Luna Great Wave models. http://www.zzounds.com/item--LUNUKEGWC

I like some designs. The watermelon, or the tiki god...

I prefer the look of plain wood. I did buy a little abalone looking floral sticker to put on the headstock of one of my ukes, but haven't changed strings and actually done it yet. I think a small ornament on the headstock can be subtle and classy.

If I want to go with tacky, I have a concert Fluke with a leopard print top. :eek: It surprises people, but really, it plays and sounds no different than any other equivalent Fluke. :p

I have 2 tiki stickers on my cheap diamond head soprano, i think it looks fun.
Usually plain wood for mind in most cases it's tacky unless its a cheapo and its just for fun.

Do what makes you happy.

And then there are the ones with elaborate inlay.

$_12.JPG

Tacky. But, some people are into tacky.

I like to look at blingy or "art" instruments, and I like to watch people play 'em.

For my own playing, however, I like 'em rather plain.

My ukulele collection: black Fluke,Bruko No 6, Ohana TK-35. All plain. Even the Dolphin I had was the plain black one. (I was slightly disappointed when I discovered the TK-35 comes with some sort of pearloid position markers, hate that stuff. Always seems tacky to me) Got used to them though, although I was tempted to colour over them in silver marker at one point)

Nothing against the 'funky'stuff. But it's not for me.

One of the world's greatest guitar players, Tommy Emmanuel, is shown in this photo with one of his guitars. It's not what it looks like, it's what it sounds like when it is played well.

Tommy Emmanuel.jpg

Regards,
Bill

It would be a sacrilege to cover up as beautiful wood grain with "art" work. On the other hand, less expensive Ukuleles are often made with less attractive wood, or even painted, so in that case, bring on the art work! I think it would be cool to take a less expensive Ukulele to a children's art class, and get them to paint it. Then put some clear finish over it. Or, I think that Elephant who paints is still around. Maybe you could get him (her) to paint it?

It's in the "eye of the beholder.". Besides, on some ukuleles like the Flea, some graphics look really good. Don't you agree?

image.jpg

Top Bottom