PDA

View Full Version : printed graphics on ukulele COOL or TACKY ?

tangimango
07-26-2014, 12:39 PM
saw some cool artwork painted on guitars etc. and was thinking why not on a ukulele. I guess the art work has to be a personal thing but do you like the look of printed graphics or art work done on your instrument or like the plain wood look?

stringy
07-26-2014, 01:33 PM
I believe art belongs on a wall. Some people love blingy ukes and that is their personal preference. To each his own.
I am a simple person and I think ukuleles that scream "look at me" have the wrong vibe.

kvehe
07-26-2014, 01:56 PM
Plain wood for me...

ohmless
07-26-2014, 02:03 PM
to each their own. I wouldn't be against a uke that is painted or woodburnt as long as it is the best sounding uke for my money. but I can't ever say never. I like the looks of the Luna Great Wave models. http://www.zzounds.com/item--LUNUKEGWC

strumsilly
07-26-2014, 02:12 PM
tacky, unless they are plastic, then cool.

Freeda
07-26-2014, 02:42 PM
I like some designs. The watermelon, or the tiki god...

itsme
07-26-2014, 02:49 PM
I prefer the look of plain wood. I did buy a little abalone looking floral sticker to put on the headstock of one of my ukes, but haven't changed strings and actually done it yet. I think a small ornament on the headstock can be subtle and classy.

If I want to go with tacky, I have a concert Fluke with a leopard print top. :o It surprises people, but really, it plays and sounds no different than any other equivalent Fluke. :p

bonesigh
07-26-2014, 04:47 PM
It's a personal thing to be sure. I happen to like art on some ukes. After all, they do hang on the wall when not being played, right? (:

iamesperambient
07-26-2014, 05:47 PM
I have 2 tiki stickers on my cheap diamond head soprano, i think it looks fun.
Usually plain wood for mind in most cases it's tacky unless its a cheapo and its just for fun.

PereBourik
07-26-2014, 07:36 PM
Do what makes you happy.

Down Up Dick
07-26-2014, 08:01 PM
I like 'em either way--good wood or smart art. Whatever floats yer boat!

thenewb
07-26-2014, 08:07 PM
Not painted but "computer carved" onto the wood.

http://www.rainieukulele.com/index.php/home/product/8

kohanmike
07-26-2014, 08:18 PM
And then there are the ones with elaborate inlay.

http://www.fairfax67.com/images/$_12.JPG

bborzell
07-26-2014, 08:36 PM
Tacky. But, some people are into tacky.

kypfer
07-26-2014, 08:39 PM
printed graphics on ukulele COOL or TACKY ? ... mostly tacky. If it's printed on, there's likely to be hundreds of others out there, just the same.

OK if you want to be part of that "group" or fan-culture http://www.amazon.co.uk/Spongebob-SBUK1-Ukulele-Outfit/dp/B000XFSZGI/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1406443018&sr=8-2&keywords=spongebob+ukulele but to express individuality, I'd prefer plain wood and good tone :)

Roselynne
07-26-2014, 10:19 PM
I like to look at blingy or "art" instruments, and I like to watch people play 'em.

For my own playing, however, I like 'em rather plain.

Pundabaya
07-27-2014, 01:34 AM
My ukulele collection: black Fluke,Bruko No 6, Ohana TK-35. All plain. Even the Dolphin I had was the plain black one. (I was slightly disappointed when I discovered the TK-35 comes with some sort of pearloid position markers, hate that stuff. Always seems tacky to me) Got used to them though, although I was tempted to colour over them in silver marker at one point)

Nothing against the 'funky'stuff. But it's not for me.

NOTLguy
07-27-2014, 02:14 AM
One of the world's greatest guitar players, Tommy Emmanuel, is shown in this photo with one of his guitars. It's not what it looks like, it's what it sounds like when it is played well.

Regards,
Bill

VegasGeorge
07-27-2014, 02:38 AM
It would be a sacrilege to cover up as beautiful wood grain with "art" work. On the other hand, less expensive Ukuleles are often made with less attractive wood, or even painted, so in that case, bring on the art work! I think it would be cool to take a less expensive Ukulele to a children's art class, and get them to paint it. Then put some clear finish over it. Or, I think that Elephant who paints is still around. Maybe you could get him (her) to paint it?

SteveZ
07-27-2014, 02:54 AM
It's in the "eye of the beholder.". Besides, on some ukuleles like the Flea, some graphics look really good. Don't you agree?

elbilo
07-27-2014, 02:55 AM
i think printed ukes are fun (especially it it's just made of a generic laminate wood), but i like a little more subtlety. i chose to go with the colored stained fluke and flea, rather than their printed designs. i may add a small decal to each to add a little more personality, but for now the color offers enough personality for me. now if the uke is made of an interesting wood (koa, curly whatever), then i'd let the beauty of the wood make the statement. to me, one should go with whatever look they're more connected to and enjoy playing.

eric

revyolution
07-27-2014, 06:34 AM
i think printed ukes are fun (especially it it's just made of a generic laminate wood), but i like a little more subtlety. i chose to go with a plain painted fluke (hibiscus) and flea (mango), rather than their printed designs. i may add a small decal to each to add a little more personality, but for now the color offers enough personality for me. now if the uke is made of an interesting wood (koa, curly whatever), then i'd let the beauty of the wood make the statement. to me, one should go with whatever look they're more connected to and enjoy playing.

eric

Agreed with you sir....
For now i only had plain wood finish uke in my collection, they have their own character i think...

Ukejenny
07-27-2014, 06:36 AM
I would need to see the art on the instrument before making a decision about it. I think there are a lot of cool things available to be done. It is whatever floats your boat that matters.

Osprey
07-27-2014, 07:52 AM
One of the things that attracts me ti the ukulele is "There ain't no rules!!" Do what you like with your ukulele, it is not for others to judge.
Cliff

MassPrimeSyndicate
07-27-2014, 09:26 AM
I normally don't like prints on uke's, except for the Luna Great Wave. I think a nice Koa or Maple is just fine.

Daktari
07-27-2014, 12:38 PM
I like seeing wood grain. However, I'd really like a tie-dye Flea. Go figure! :D

dirtiestkidever
07-27-2014, 01:29 PM
Generally, I don't love the painted/printed uke thing. But there are some definite exceptions.

There are some beautiful painted black bear ukes:

dirtiestkidever
07-27-2014, 01:32 PM
I am generally not a fan of printed / painted ukes but there are exceptions. For example, there have been some really cool black bear painted ukes.