Hot hide mix ratios

vanflynn

-----
UU VIP
Reaction score
I'm doing a Hana Lima build (maybe a clock!) and am trying hot hide glue for the neck/body, fretboard, and back. Question on the ratios. Behlen (from Stew Mac) says equal weights crystal to water but Stew Mac's vid says 1 part, in volume, crystal to 2 part water (which is basically opposite of the Behlen instruction).

Which should I do?

Thanks for your help

Jim

I'm doing a Hana Lima build (maybe a clock!) and am trying hot hide glue for the neck/body, fretboard, and back. Question on the ratios. Behlen (from Stew Mac) says equal weights crystal to water but Stew Mac's vid says 1 part, in volume, crystal to 2 part water (which is basically opposite of the Behlen instruction).

Which should I do?

Thanks for your help

Jim

Mix it till its like thin honey.

The LMI I use is 192 gm strength and 1 part glue to 1.8 parts water. Works for me.
Check out Frank Ford's site frets.com for much information on HHG.

It depends on the gram strength and the particular batch of glue. But for the 192 high clarity that I have it's a simple 1 part glue by volume to 2 parts water.

With the 315 gram strength that I have I found that it's 2 parts glue by volume to 5 parts water by volume.

So, I just use a tablespoon measure. When it's ready to use, it should run off the brush like thick cream. If its too thick, add a bit of water. If too thin then let it sit with the lid off for a bit and the water will evaporate and glue will become thicker.

Stew Mac says it's a 164 gram strength (nothing on the container) Equal weights seems to be definitely wrong consistency.

I'll try the 1:2 and use you guidelines.

Thanks.

When I was cabinetmaking many moons ago, animal glue, as it was known then, came in solid blocks about 10 inches square by 24 inches in length. We cut chunks off and chucked them in the pot, when it was melted if it looked thick we added water. Never had a joint failure.

I've never measured or used the ratios. The tendency for those new to Hide is to make it too thick, thinking that it should be something like PVA. As an average I mix it so that it looks more like a thin vegetable oil. It runs off the brush quite readily.
Soak the glue for an hour or so before heating it. Obviously it's easier to add more water to a Glue that is a little too thick. Too thin and you will have to wait for the water to evaporate.

Last edited:
Yes, I like the analogy to running off the brush like vegetable oil. Probably more accurate description than cream.

Also, unlike using a PVA and not wanting much if any at all squeeze out, with HHG you do want to see some.

Ratios go out the door after 1 hour at heat due to evaporation- im spritzing in more water throughout the day to keep it workable. SO after a few hours, the original ratio has run out the door and down the street.

However, to start with, yes to what Allen said, 192 is 1 HG : 2 water. Alot more water for the 315 strength .

Top Bottom