PDA

View Full Version : Season 128 - Uppity Music Snob

Pages : [1] 2

thunderflea
07-26-2014, 06:14 PM
Playlist (http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLCnM85BfMmdZaa30dKzlmocnMiFqXbNPF)

The theme for Season 5 was to play a song by one of Chrimess' favorite bands in the "modern-alternative" genre. I thought that was a neat idea, where Chrimess got to hear his favorite bands covered by all you awesome ukulele players. This week's contest is similar except I am opening it up to my favorite bands of all genres (minus modern-alternative). But because I am an uppity music snob, my list can be quite selective about which albums or songs by a band are eligible. Some bands/artists may be difficult to cover, but I think there should still be something here for everyone.

My background: I grew up in the mountains with not a lot to do but play in the woods and listen to music in my room. Luckily my three older sisters (up to 10 years older) liked good music and for some reason left all their albums behind when they moved out of the house. Growing up in the middle of nowhere with few friends and no TV to speak of, at an early age I listened to all those records (in addition to my parents' records) over and over with plenty of time to learn for myself what kind of music I really liked or didn't care for. We also received very good public-access radio stations and I would record and re-listen to other genre shows (i.e. Blues, Reggae, Bluegrass, Jazz, and so on) that I otherwise would not have been exposed to. The internet was a long way off at this time....

I saw an unfortunate pattern as a got older: many of my all-time favorite bands (or members of bands) became super-famous after I already liked them for a long time. In almost every such case (except Peter Gabriel and the Talking Heads), I did not enjoy the music that made them really popular. For example, I used to really like ZZ Top. Then they put out the Eliminator album (where they introduced pre-programmed keyboards tracks) and became the smashing success that everyone now thinks of. The ZZ Top I knew and loved was a quirky, hard-rockin' bluesy band, quite different from the synthesizer-driven music everyone knows them for today. At that point I thought they had "jump the shark" to use an overused phrase. Bands such as these are denoted with a double asterisk (**) and they have qualifiers as to which specific albums/songs are/are not allowed for the contest due to my musical snobbery. Other songs may be denoted as off-limits, not because I don't like them but because they are too obvious or overplayed (example: "Ghost Riders" for Sons of the Pioneers).

All the typical season rules apply (a uke in there somewhere, up to three entries, don't post anything until 12 am on Sunday, yada yada)You will be judged by the uppity music snob (who likes to talk in the third person) on the following criteria:
Song choiceQuality over quantity--your score will be the average of the song(s) you submit, meaning if you nail a song, don't follow it with a stinker, it will lessen your final score. One good song could win you the season.That pleasant quality that is hard to describe unless speaking French.CreativityA band may transcend genres beyond the one for which it is listed. For instance Fishbone plays ska, funk, metal, punk, reggae, jazz, etc.. If a band/artist is listed with no qualifiers, all songs by that band/artist are free game, no matter which genre the band is listed under.If you can avoid it, refrain from low-hanging fruit (the most obvious or easy song). For instance, if I said Jimmy Buffet was a favorite (I won't), don't play Margaritaville unless you can cover it so convincingly that no one can fault you for doing it yet again. But if the band/artist is already somewhat obscure or hard to play (say, The Fixx), give any of their songs—even their most popular song—a shot if you dare, because heck, I'd love to hear One Thing Leads to Another or Saved By Zero covered on a uke.Extra credit for songs/bands denoted with a single asterisk (*), which means I was extra fond of that album/band/genre when growing up.Multi-tracking is great and extra points for effort. However if you can cover a song well with just a single uke, the more power to you and duly noted.All instruments must be acoustic and played by hand (no electronic keyboards, drum machines, click tracks, etc.). Another pet peeve of the uppity music snob.If you have submitted a song for a previous season, try another.
Let me know if you have any questions. I will comment on all vids but please note that I will be away from Thursday until Sunday camping. I will finish commenting on vids when I return.

First prize: 69397
This approximately two-foot tall wooden wall hanging that has adorned my wall for the past ten years. I think it is time to pass it on to someone else. I will dust it before I send it. I will probably come up with some other prizes, as well.

So, here are the uppity music snob-approved bands:

Blues
=====
Albert King
B.B. King
Bobby "Blue" Bland
Little Milton
Taj Mahal
"Big" Joe Turner

Country / Western
===============
Asleep at the Wheel
Dwight Yoakam
Sons of the Pioneers (anything except "Ghost Riders")

Disco / Funk
==========
Boney M
Earth Wind and Fire
The Gap Band
Joe Tex
Kool and the Gang
Tavares

Easy Rock (Yacht)
====
10cc
Little River Band (extra points for Reminiscing)
Bread

Eighties
=======
The Fixx
Missing Persons
Talk Talk

Jazz
======
Cab Calloway (but not Minnie the Moocher)
Count Basie
Clifford Brown
Duke Ellington
Dizzy Gillespie
Eddie Harris *
Thelonious Monk
George Shearing
Horace Silver

Hawaiian
=======
Ho‘okena
Israel Kamakawiwo'ole ("Facing Future" album only, except the song "Somewhere Over the Rainbow")
Makaha Sons
Pure Heart

Progressive Rock *
==============
Emerson Lake and Palmer (anything but the song "Lucky Man")
Genesis (anything before the "Invisible Touch" album) **
Yes
Jethro Tull
Boston (anything from first two albums only) **
Kansas (anything but the song "Dust in the Wind")
King Crimson
Peter Gabriel

Rock
=====
The Babys *
Blood Sweat and Tears
Blue Oyster Cult
David Bowie ("Let's Dance" album only)
Cream
Deep Purple
The Doors * (anything except "People are Strange")
Elvis Costello (any song from the "My Aim is True" or "This Year's Model" albums except the song Allison)
Heart (anything from 1980 and earlier) *
Joe Jackson (anything from 1984 and earlier)
Molly Hatchet
Montrose *
Phil Collins (anything from his first two solo albums, but not In the Air Tonight) **
Pretenders (anything except "Brass in Pocket")
Santana (anything before the "Supernatural" album only, but not "Evil Ways") **
Steely Dan (anything from "Pretzel Logic" or "The Royal Scam" only)
Talking Heads (anything except Psycho Killer) *
Triumph
The Who
ZZ Top (anything before the "Eliminator" album) ** *

Reggae
=======
Barrington Levy
Burning Spear
Eek A Mouse
Israel Vibration *
Lone Ranger a.k.a. Anthony Waldron
Peter Tosh
Steel Pulse
Desmond Dekker
Sugar Minott

Ska/Rocksteady
============
Aggrolites
English Beat *
Eric Morris
Fishbone *
Hepcat *
Jackie Opel
Let's Go Bowling *
Lord Creator a.k.a. Kendrick Patrick *
Lord Tanamo *
Prince Buster
The Selector
The Skatalites
The Specials

Misc
=====
Dan Hicks and His Hot Licks *
Ink Spots
Lou Rawls
Mills Brothers
Public Enemy

....and any song from the following albums:

Berlin - Pleasure Victim
Godspell soundtrack
Jefferson Starship - Earth
Oklahoma soundtrack
Rocky soundtrack
Rose Tattoo - Rose Tattoo
Royal Guardsmen - Snoopy vs the Red Baron (but not the title song)

bird's eye view of my ukelele
07-26-2014, 06:31 PM
that's great, but could you be a little more specific? ;)

if you nail a song, don't follow it with a stinker
:eek: as if we would!

thunderflea
07-26-2014, 06:36 PM
The key thought being quality over quantity...one song may win you the season and a second song could cost you the season if not up to par with the first. If you don't care about wining the season and just want to submit a bunch of songs, that's fine, too.

07-26-2014, 06:46 PM
of course i might just come in with a really dreadful effort to start with (it has been known :cool:) and then have to chuck gazillions more songs at you in an increasingly desperate attempt to back-pedal from that initial rubbish-ness... is there a limit to how many songs we can do??????????

thunderflea
07-26-2014, 06:50 PM
Let's limit to three entries. I will add that to the initial description. Oh, wait, I already said that, first bullet.

07-26-2014, 06:55 PM
OOOOOOOOOOPS, my bad, thanks!

thunderflea
07-26-2014, 07:15 PM
No worries, there is a lot to ingest there. Longest season description ever?

07-26-2014, 07:37 PM
lol i think it might be!

i was taking notes - seriously! - but i missed the three vid limit!

way to go to totally get the songs you wanna hear!

mythinformed
07-26-2014, 07:46 PM
The doors are kicked wide open enough for everyone to cover something of their fave genre........... great theme, I'm liking.

..........and Lynda, stop asking questions and leave the poor man alone !! Lol

07-26-2014, 07:53 PM
oh mark, i might yet have some daft questions or indeed just some insanely ridiculous comments up my sleeve that i haven't even posted yet!

mythinformed
07-26-2014, 08:07 PM
oh mark, i might yet have some daft questions or indeed just some insanely ridiculous comments up my sleeve that i haven't even posted yet!
Bet I can beat ya ...............

ThunderFlea are we allowed to do a BB King song whilst dressed as Gracie Fields ?

MikeOnTheUke
07-26-2014, 08:19 PM
Well, then. Looks like that one song that's been kicking around in my head for a few seasons now, looking for a good theme, has now found it's season. X3

Thank you for that. Now just gotta find some other songs to do that fit the theme. Really good one. Personal, and challenging. LOVE IT. X3

07-26-2014, 11:46 PM
Bet I can beat ya ...............

ThunderFlea are we allowed to do a BB King song whilst dressed as Gracie Fields ?
lol!!!!!!! gosh you know i was wondering that myself but i was afraid to ask! :)

pabrizzer
07-27-2014, 12:01 AM
Red River Valley. A song done by The Sons of the Pioneers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iA3z5NSgVd4

Sammu
07-27-2014, 12:54 AM
I think there should still be something here for everyone.

Um…anything Classical? Sorry for asking but I really don't see anything for me :/

xommen
07-27-2014, 01:53 AM
My quick take in Don't give up, by Peter Gabriel and Kate Bush recorded at home in the little time I had. We went home to pick up our son who was on a summer camp and then go on with our holiday. The uke is my Tenor tuned DGBE (so like a Bariton), this gave me a "singable" key with chords I found without using a capo.

http://youtu.be/bYD0T2zwAxs

ChrisDeston821
07-27-2014, 02:31 AM
I had considered this for war week but wasn't sure if Jarhead and Forrest Gump were tricking me into believing it was war related when in truth tis perhaps not..? But even so dug out an army green top and left the extreme bed head to add to the effect (: A rock song by The Doors* for the Uppity Music Snob

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8hPBQUa_XM

Sorry I didn't attempt the original solo but without using electronics and a keyboard or effect pedals it wouldn't have sounded right
(the distortion like sound you hear is purely my iphones poor audio recording of the cheap practice amp I have)

Cornfield
07-27-2014, 03:53 AM
We know you want only acoustic instruments but how about an exception for a U-bass

ChrisDeston821
07-27-2014, 04:25 AM
We know you want only acoustic instruments but how about an exception for a U-bass
Gah! I missed that, I read must be played by hand, no electronic keyboards, drum machines or click tracks and just blanked on the acoustic spec!
Long read and mind just didn't register that using my Risa meant not being acoustic.. In my head it meant nothing to enhance (Pedals etc.)
Does that now make my entry null and void?? If so, my mistake and bad times.. :/ aha.. Was rather proud of it (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8hPBQUa_XM) too! Humph.

frisbee fred
07-27-2014, 05:30 AM
TF,

Ink Spots?? You may get three from me. My voice is about 9 octaves lower than Bill Kenney's but this may be the only Season where they are appropriate. I grew up listening to them. I think you are the first person under 107 I've known besides me who likes them.

FF

Barbablanca
07-27-2014, 05:49 AM
Can us "original song" types submit something which would be an answer to one of your choices? ie:

"Kansas have sinned,
We're not dust in the wind!!

"Aqualung my friend, you're nothing but a paedo!"

Gaza Blues:
"I can hear them coming through the air tonight! Oh no!
Our neighbours sure have picked an uneven fight, oh Lord!" (Insert whistling smiley here)

That kind of thing???

MikeOnTheUke
07-27-2014, 06:10 AM
So, Im starting to wonder why I know an Ink Spots song from the early 40s, when I'm only in my 20s...

RAB11
07-27-2014, 06:24 AM
So, Im starting to wonder why I know an Ink Spots song from the early 40s, when I'm only in my 20s...

Probably for the exact same reason as me. I even covered (http://youtu.be/JXQc0XO12aE) it for Eugene's season.

Might do it again for this season. Maybe.

thunderflea
07-27-2014, 06:32 AM
Red River Valley. A song done by The Sons of the Pioneers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iA3z5NSgVd4

What a great way to kick off the season! Pa, I think your knowledge of and ability to channel Americana is quite amazing, especially considering you grew up on the other side of the world! I was not expecting the high harmony, which I am impressed you could hit considering how low you can also sing. A most-excellent entry!

Question: How do you produce videos so fast? It usually takes me half a week to settle on a song and another half a week to learn how to play it, and by that time I usually miss the season all together.

thunderflea
07-27-2014, 06:40 AM
Um…anything Classical? Sorry for asking but I really don't see anything for me :/

Do you really only play one genre of music? Perhaps it is time to branch out a bit. Just about every progressive rock band listed have classically-based instrumentals. Give 'Horizons' by Genesis a listen. Or 'Mood for a Day' by Yes. These are just a couple examples. Or the opening to "Blood on the Rooftops".

That said, here are three classical songs that are eligible:
Claire de Lune
Hungarian Dance no. 5
Moonlight Sonata

thunderflea
07-27-2014, 06:56 AM
My quick take in Don't give up, by Peter Gabriel and Kate Bush recorded at home in the little time I had.

http://youtu.be/bYD0T2zwAxs

Great song choice. This song is so sad, yet hopeful. I think you channeled both feelings well. I even got a wee weepy while singing along with you. Interesting tuning and still able to sing Kate's part. Well done!

thunderflea
07-27-2014, 07:03 AM
A rock song by The Doors* for the Uppity Music Snob

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8hPBQUa_XM

I think the lizard king would have definitely approved of the bed head. This is probably the first song by the Doors that I really took notice of as a kid. I never thought about playing it on the uke, though. Way to transpose the bass part.
No "she gets high", though? :)
That was a big controversy at the time.
Thanks for the song, I am liking the way this season is shaping up.

thunderflea
07-27-2014, 07:06 AM
U-Bass is absolutely ok! Preferred, even. :)

Just no pre-programmed drums or electric keyboards. I am even ok with electric drums if you actually played them yourself rather than programmed them.

thunderflea
07-27-2014, 07:07 AM
Gah! I missed that, I read must be played by hand, no electronic keyboards, drum machines or click tracks and just blanked on the acoustic spec!
Long read and mind just didn't register that using my Risa meant not being acoustic.. In my head it meant nothing to enhance (Pedals etc.)
Does that now make my entry null and void?? If so, my mistake and bad times.. :/ aha.. Was rather proud of it (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8hPBQUa_XM) too! Humph.

No problem with the Risa or anything you actually play by hand. Just no pre-programmed tracks....

thunderflea
07-27-2014, 07:09 AM
Re: The Ink Spots

Excellent! I also should have added the Mills Brothers who I listened to just as much.

thunderflea
07-27-2014, 07:12 AM
Can us "original song" types submit something which would be an answer to one of your choices?

Ok, go for it. But you need to quote or riff off at least five eligible songs in your one song. Don't quote Dust in the Wind, though! :)

It's not eligible...

thunderflea
07-27-2014, 07:13 AM

Because they are awesome, of course!

thunderflea
07-27-2014, 07:15 AM
Probably for the exact same reason as me. I even covered (http://youtu.be/JXQc0XO12aE) it for Eugene's season.

Might do it again for this season. Maybe.

Do so only if you don't want you song to count, see last bullet.

thunderflea
07-27-2014, 07:17 AM
Ok, I am off to float a river all day and hopefully record a song for the Stories season. I will be back online later tonight.

ohmless
07-27-2014, 07:31 AM
http://youtu.be/SPGs-sc4eZs

Sorry for there being no video with this performance. Webcam is dead but was too excited not to participate. I am only in it to have fun anyways so don't have to sweat weather or not to count this as an "official" entry.

BTW, for any other beginners out there, this was a very easy song to learn. Join in the fun!

Sammu
07-27-2014, 08:25 AM
Do you really only play one genre of music?

Yes, and very well.

UkeCan1
07-27-2014, 09:08 AM

Sorry for there being no video with this performance. Webcam is dead but was too excited not to participate. I am only in it to have fun anyways so don't have to sweat weather or not to count this as an "official" entry.

BTW, for any other beginners out there, this was a very easy song to learn. Join in the fun!
Good stuff, and welcome to the Seasons! Participation is the name of the game. I so love you jumping in like that and encouraging other beginners to join you. I am not that far ahead of you ... I've been here since Season 84 and 4 weeks of uking, and nothing has made as big a difference to my progress as participating in the Seasons every week.

I applaud you for finding a song you could play and sharing it, and for not letting a little technical challenge stop you. Nice strumming and singing. Well done!

Do you have a first name so we can cheer you on more personally? (I'm Wendy - takes a while to learn everyone's name, so it finally occurred to me to put mine in my signature.)

Tootler
07-27-2014, 10:54 AM
You got Pabrizzer to blame for this.

I was going to leave it till later in the week but Pabrizzer's choice of Red River Valley led me to explore Sons of Pioneers and I found this song I remembered from some point in my more distant past. I don't know whose version I first heard and I've done it entirely from memory and a chord sheet from t'Internet (which I ended up 'tweaking' a bit) so my memory of the tune may be a bit wayward in places.

Found transcribed, recorded and uploaded in 2 hours. Something of a record for me

http://youtu.be/o2C0SzRuGGU

UkeCan1
07-27-2014, 11:07 AM
I had to do this one early, because I'm going to be away most of the week. I was so happy to spot Cream on your list, because I've been playing this with our local jam group ... it's such a fun song to do! The group still haven't learned to count to five, but I'm pretty sure at least I got the timing right on this one ... I studied the original to be sure.

http://youtu.be/uuKeerpptlU

I chose this from your approved Thunderflea list of excellence, but I also plan to cross-post it to Season 127, because
1) Fred asked me to do more,
2) There's still time, and
3) Interpretations may vary, but before I looked them up, it seemed like a fairly clear story song to me.

I still like my initial interpretation best of all the ones I read.
(Does that make me an uppity music snob too?)
If you want to know what I think it means, go check out my post on Season 127 (http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?98933-Season-127-Stories!&p=1557324#post1557324).

PS: I love the YouTube link for this video (http://youtu.be/uuKeerpptlU) ... it sort of says "UU Keeper", no?
(Before it kind of spits at you.)

CeeJay
07-27-2014, 01:05 PM
U-Bass is absolutely ok! Preferred, even. :)

Just no pre-programmed drums or electric keyboards. I am even ok with electric drums if you actually played them yourself rather than programmed them.

Hang on ....?? What about electronic keyboards played as a piano...live ...larger than live .......on the piano ...or Hammond C3 setting (tempting for bloooooooooees) all done with fingers and phalanges ....? I aint got no stinking acoustic Steinway I just got me a crappy Yammy keyboard .....Waaaaaaaaahhhhhhhh...:(

CeeJay
07-27-2014, 02:58 PM
Yes, and very well.

..oops.....

UkeCan1
07-27-2014, 03:15 PM
NOTE TO ANYONE TRYING TO POST:
The forum is currently giving a "database error" in response to attempts at posting to threads.
HOWEVER YOUR POST IS STLL GOING THROUGH!
Try going back to the thread you were posting on, refresh the page, and you'll see your post is there.

No need to repost multiple times.

(It hasn't happened here yet, but it's been happening on S127, the other still active Season.)

Inksplosive AL
07-27-2014, 03:35 PM
*Walks in nose held high*

First my credentials, My first concert was at 10 years old I got to go see the king of rock himself yes Elvis! The last concert I went to was a while back now it was Pantera/White Zombie, Ive seen quite a few shows in my day in between those with many new bands opening before their big hit. I'm such a snob I have yet to contribute a song to the seasons, I know I'm that bad and wont subject you or myself to the humiliation.

I was also a fan of the old ZZ Top and was slightly miffed when Afterburner came out. We (my friends and I) gave it a go and realized well shit its still Top. Only Top can sing about sleeping bags, the ease of use when you have a Velcro fly and waking up with wood! I assure you the Afterburner concert was only out shined by Pink Floyds Momentary lapse of reason. The highlight of the recycler tour was the black crows opening up for them. Fame hit fast and hard, sponsored by Budweiser the concert really was nothing compared to afterburner. I felt cheated and stopped following them then.

Unrelated but funny flash forward to somewhere around 95-96 me and my step bro see ZZ on TV and one of them is wearing an upside down cross. My bro looks at me and says oh well thats that then. He confided in me that he believed that was why they became so popular and they like so many others would soon be dying in a plane crash.

~AL~

Inksplosive AL
07-27-2014, 03:37 PM
Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr post is a duplicate of a post I posted my buttocks.

pabrizzer
07-28-2014, 12:29 AM
Ain't Nobody's business But My Own a song by Taj Mahal.
Just as it comes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_YCcnNgs70

CeeJay
07-28-2014, 12:40 AM
*Walks in nose held high*

I was also a fan of the old ZZ Top and was slightly miffed when Afterburner came out. We (my friends and I) gave it a go and realized well shit its still Top. Only Top can sing about sleeping bags, the ease of use when you have a Velcro fly and waking up with wood! I assure you the Afterburner concert was only out shined by Pink Floyds Momentary lapse of reason. The highlight of the recycler tour was the black crows opening up for them. Fame hit fast and hard, sponsored by Budweiser the concert really was nothing compared to afterburner. I felt cheated and stopped following them then.

Unrelated but funny flash forward to somewhere around 95-96 me and my step bro see ZZ on TV and one of them is wearing an upside down cross. My bro looks at me and says oh well thats that then. He confided in me that he believed that was why they became so popular and they like so many others would soon be dying in a plane crash.

~AL~

Ah yes you say that...but I believe that up until Eliminater /Afterburner ZZ-Top were not well known in UK....(there were some aficionados sure)...but the Eliminator Album and EP with Legs , Sharp Dressed Man etc took the UK rockers and R and B 'ers by storm ........and then we checked out their back catalogue....and I found it a bit ,well , tame ..........so to me and for me ZZ-Top of the 80's and 90's were at their best.....strange old world innit?....

CeeJ

Tootler
07-28-2014, 12:46 AM
NOTE TO ANYONE TRYING TO POST:
The forum is currently giving a "database error" in response to attempts at posting to threads.
HOWEVER YOUR POST IS STLL GOING THROUGH!
Try going back to the thread you were posting on, refresh the page, and you'll see your post is there.

No need to repost multiple times.

(It hasn't happened here yet, but it's been happening on S127, the other still active Season.)

Yes it did. I got the "Database Error" message when I tried to post Cool Water last night. I then got the "Identical Post" message when I retried so it had got through.

UkeCan1
07-28-2014, 12:50 AM
Yes it did. I got the "Database Error" message when I tried to post Cool Water last night. I then got the "Identical Post" message when I retried so it had got through.

I meant that no one had left multiple postings here. I was pretty certain the database error was a forum-wide happening.

Anyway, all better now! Hallelujah.

Barbablanca
07-28-2014, 02:39 AM
Well, I think I got in more than five references to songs or bands in your list ;) See how many you can spot :)

http://youtu.be/4lFWX7gzY3k

Oh damn! I just realised there is a typo at the end of the credits: "....Seasons' hosts..... it should read!

PS Can I just make a little plea to future Seasons Hosts that each theme offer an alternative for the songwriters amongst us (we are legion now ) . So if you want to do, say, an Everly Brothers week, then maybe offer the alternative of "a song in their style" or whatever. Cheers....

PPS Melodically, this is a bastard child of Jethro Tull's Locomotive Breath and Cross Eyed Mary (etc). I'd love to have done it multi-tracked with a mad flute accompaniment! ;)

ohmless
07-28-2014, 09:08 AM
http://youtu.be/Gg7C68tJIn4

My first multiple entry week! Here is my second offering. Don't you hate when you have a "perfect" take and there is a computer malfunction? Here is my next best take. haha.

wee_ginga_yin
07-28-2014, 09:23 AM
I think it is a grave omission that the Finnish troubadour Sepi Kumpulainen (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7MTDwJWGmA) the
singing janitor from Helsinki Finland has not made the list. To rectify that situation
I have recorded one of his song... The monster met me on the forest road

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATvwUiiOWaM

DWitt
07-28-2014, 09:57 AM
Not sure that this is the vintage of Peter Gabriel you wanted—it's from "Up" (2002)—but I wanted to give this one a try . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKLAwevrZ94

UkeCan1
07-28-2014, 01:13 PM
Not sure that this is the vintage of Peter Gabriel you wanted—it's from "Up" (2002)—but I wanted to give this one a try . . .

"Up" is short for "Uppity", I think, right? :)
So it should count, probably?

DWitt
07-28-2014, 01:22 PM
"Up" is short for "Uppity", I think, right? :)
So it should count, probably?

Oooh! Good pitch!

BigDaddyUker
07-28-2014, 01:51 PM
If we have two weeks for Season 128, I might be able to find a song that I can both play and sing reasonably well...........

07-28-2014, 02:13 PM
If we have two weeks for Season 128, I might be able to find a song that I can both play and sing reasonably well...........
do what i do, just play and sing badly

CeeJay
07-28-2014, 02:35 PM

This is the modesty police ..gerroutofit......yo sing like a rock star and play like an uppitty strumming strumming angel....punky and poifect ....

07-28-2014, 02:52 PM
This is the modesty police ..gerroutofit......yo sing like a rock star and play like an uppitty strumming strumming angel....punky and poifect ....
aw.......... CEEJAY! *big hug*

BigDaddyUker
07-28-2014, 04:32 PM

Oh pahlease bird. Play and sing badly. Although you play upside down...I did find a song. Trying to figure out the singing part. My problem is my limited knowledge of music. I don't know by name anyways, most of who is listed. May recognize the names but never listened to the music.

07-28-2014, 05:00 PM
yes, did you know when you play upside down, all the tunes fall out your head? but i cope!!!!!!!!!

yeah i went through thunderflea's list and made a note of anyone i'd heard of and liked!!!!!!!!!!

and then i went to google and for every band or artist on my list i searched for "*whoever the band or artist is* songs"

and then i went and searched for lyrics and chords for my fave songs that came up

and narrowed it down to a top secret result that i am TRYING to get the hang of AS WE SPEAK!

i do like to go back in time to songs that were a hit back in the day, ie. back in my day, ie. in the seventies and eighties, i love to revisit those songs and try and get the hang of them on uke, i think i spend 99.9 percent of my time on the seasons doing that

austin1
07-28-2014, 06:06 PM
Oh my goodness, I know all of ONE of the artists on this list! Generation gap? Immigrant parents? Poor music education? All of the above? Someone please tell me what's wrong with me. Well, I guess I need to go listen to some music :)

lelouden
07-28-2014, 07:38 PM
Oh my goodness, I know all of ONE of the artists on this list! Generation gap? Immigrant parents? Poor music education? All of the above? Someone please tell me what's wrong with me. Well, I guess I need to go listen to some music :)

Well Tina, I am glad someone was willing to admit they hardly know any of this music. I should know some of this stuff considering Im 110 years old but I am a little embarrassed to say that I don't either. Once you start having kids and you let them take control of the car radio its all over. I have had more exposure to a wide verity of music here than ever before and that is one of the great things about the seasons... but it does feel like a looooooot of homework this week for me. But Im up for a challenge. If it takes me all week.....and it might, I plan to get something done!

07-28-2014, 07:44 PM
hey there austin! i'm sure that every single week, i learn at least one totally new musical thing on the seasons from other peeps here - a new song by someone i thought i knew all their songs but obviously not! a whole new band or singer. or some fab new uke thing or music theory thing. and i still hardly know anything! but i know more than when i first turned up here! what a great place the seasons are. what a great place the seasons IS?

ok thunderflea, i am taking a break from asking you stupid questions - here is a song from me for the season - "mirror in the bathroom" by the beat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWA4t8TQb9Q

07-28-2014, 07:52 PM
I should know some of this stuff considering Im 110 years old
i wonder if ceejay is also the age police - because i know for a fact you are about the same age as me - i.e. not a day over a hundred and five! :old:

RAB11
07-28-2014, 08:02 PM
This is where listening to a lot of my dad's music is gonna come in handy. Got a few on the shortlist depending on how much time I have this week.

lelouden
07-28-2014, 08:04 PM
i wonder if ceejay is also the age police - because i know for a fact you are about the same age as me - i.e. not a day over a hundred and five! :old:

alright you caught me....I exaggerated five whole years!

Awe.... thanks for setting me straight. I feel so much younger now.

BTW Im sure that would make you only about 95:)

07-28-2014, 08:18 PM
BTW Im sure that would make you only about 95:)
no one would know this, obviously, but the great thing is i only look 90! :cool:

pabrizzer
07-28-2014, 11:02 PM
Question: How do you produce videos so fast? It usually takes me half a week to settle on a song and another half a week to learn how to play it, and by that time I usually miss the season all together.

Well I usually don't put in too much 'production' and try to keep things very 'pa'ed down. I really do usually do only one take. And I never memorise the lyrics even on my own songs - always read.
I was determined to show my harmonica playing in a vid for the first time this week but although it is videoed live (with no effects on the harp part) you can't even see the harp and I could have been munching on a sandwich.
I do hang out waiting for each new season which is around noon on Sunday which gives me the afternoon to work up a vid. It has become what I do on a Sunday afternoon.
And I usually figure I am just sharing a song with friends rather than competing or puting on a show.

pabrizzer
07-29-2014, 12:19 AM
Last one from me.
Washing of the Water by Peter Gabriel. Really on two thirds of the song because I leave part of it out.
It's a beautiful song well worth a listen done by the composer IMHO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVQkcaN1sPM
BTW Peter Gabriel did a terrific version of Waterloo Sunset which I came very close to doing instead of this one.
Would be a beaut one for someone to give a went.

cua94
07-29-2014, 12:50 AM
Here is my entry. I am working on another one.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPeENjkuhm4

UkeyDave
07-29-2014, 02:19 AM
Boney M snobby. Not on your nelly. Here's mine then. Please tap your feet. If you don't I will assume you don't have a pulse. ;-)
It's a bit rough and ready. Just had a thoroughly FANTASTIC Ukulele weekend at Hollesley 2014 in a tent next door to Krabbers and Caroline and John Caudrey and I do have video evidence which I hope to post in misfits or seasonista with seasonista laterz. :-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngIp3huHzvA

thunderflea
07-29-2014, 04:33 AM
A playlist (http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLCnM85BfMmdZaa30dKzlmocnMiFqXbNPF) has been updated and added to the season description. Responses to videos coming soon.

thunderflea
07-29-2014, 05:10 AM

I am really happy that you decided to participate even though you don't have a web cam.
This is another all-time favorite song. I dig the happy, creepy lyrics.
Great effort and glad you have joined the seasons!

thunderflea
07-29-2014, 05:33 AM
You got Pabrizzer to blame for this.

http://youtu.be/o2C0SzRuGGU

Well then thanks, Pabrizzer!
And thank you, Tootler for a fine rendition of this old classic.
Listening to this, I feel can feel a strong thirst come on....I can almost see a green big tree where the water's run free and hey, let's go over there!!
Oh wait, it was just a mirage conjured by the your wonderful rendition of this song. Thanks for contributing!

bonesigh
07-29-2014, 05:34 AM
Yes you play divinely (:

Yes, and very well.

bonesigh
07-29-2014, 05:40 AM
You probably know some but just don't know it yet (:

thunderflea
07-29-2014, 05:46 AM
http://youtu.be/uuKeerpptlU

Nice playing and singing on this one, Wendy
I also enjoy playing this song, it's a fun one to interpret on uke.
I never understood the lyrics and always thought they were just nice sounding and didn't really mean much of anything.
Your interpretations sound about as logical as any explanations I have seen.
Thank you for taking part this season!

thunderflea
07-29-2014, 05:48 AM
Hang on ....?? What about electronic keyboards played as a piano...live ...larger than live .......on the piano ...or Hammond C3 setting (tempting for bloooooooooees) all done with fingers and phalanges ....? I aint got no stinking acoustic Steinway I just got me a crappy Yammy keyboard .....Waaaaaaaaahhhhhhhh...:(

CeeJay, go for it...do what makes you happy, yo!

frisbee fred
07-29-2014, 05:55 AM
Thunderflea is apparently my musical brother from another mother as I could do a whole lot of songs from his list. However, this one is special as it allows me to sing to my two girls - Meredith and Audrey. This one's for them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10jkBoPRdtw&feature=youtu.be

thunderflea
07-29-2014, 06:06 AM
Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr post is a duplicate of a post I posted my buttocks.

Ha ha. Wait...what?

BigDaddyUker
07-29-2014, 06:15 AM
Boney M snobby. Not on your nelly. Here's mine then. Please tap your feet. If you don't I will assume you don't have a pulse. ;-)
It's a bit rough and ready. Just had a thoroughly FANTASTIC Ukulele weekend at Hollesley 2014 in a tent next door to Krabbers and Caroline and John Caudrey and I do have video evidence which I hope to post in misfits or seasonista with seasonista laterz. :-)

From reggae to funk...you are amazing!!!

UkeyDave
07-29-2014, 06:38 AM
From reggae to funk...you are amazing!!!
Lol Thank you BigDaddyUker.

thunderflea
07-29-2014, 06:49 AM
Ain't Nobody's business But My Own a song by Taj Mahal.
Just as it comes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_YCcnNgs70

This is a great song that surprisingly I am not that familiar with, I must not have had the album.
Sounds like he took "Ain't Nobody's Business if I Do" and changed it just a little and made his own song.
Taj has such a cool voice and you did a great job channeling his rural bluesy essence.
Looking forward to what else you have in store for us, Brian.

frisbee fred
07-29-2014, 06:49 AM
A kind of non-denominational spiritual song from the Ink Spots.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qeTMC33TSDg

southside mike
07-29-2014, 06:57 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVhSMFjrToA
Joe Jackson 1978 (I think)

Harry122
07-29-2014, 06:58 AM
Papa's In Bed With His Britches On
This is a favorite Cab Calloway song. I multitracked the uke twice and my voice three times. Then, I added percussion (hand-clapping and shaker egg). All acoustic. The video is just me strumming, I sang off-video. (and off-key!) ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7AIFRWLElI

thunderflea
07-29-2014, 07:05 AM
Well, I think I got in more than five references to songs or bands in your list ;) See how many you can spot :)

http://youtu.be/4lFWX7gzY3k

Dang, that was amazing! So many references! I am impressed that you were able to write and record that song in such a short time. This is the theme song for the season. The bar has been set. Thank you very much for contributing this song!

thunderflea
07-29-2014, 07:12 AM
http://youtu.be/Gg7C68tJIn4

Thanks you for this. Love Street is a great Doors song. It is more happy than most other Doors songs which are usually dark, despite the "creatures". Now we need to get you a camera that works so we can see you playing your uke!

thunderflea
07-29-2014, 07:15 AM
I think it is a grave omission that the Finnish troubadour Sepi Kumpulainen (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7MTDwJWGmA) the
singing janitor from Helsinki Finland has not made the list.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATvwUiiOWaM

Thank you for educating us about Sepi Kumpulainen. If nothing else, he has a fun name to say and a weird way to play.

thunderflea
07-29-2014, 07:23 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKLAwevrZ94

This was really lovely, you have done such a good job with this song. The baritone uke fits that song so nicely and you have a soothing voice like Peter.
My favorite concert of all time was PG at the Greek Theater in Berkeley for the Security tour, it was my 16th birthday.
You totally did this song justice, which is no easy task. If you have time, please submit another song this week.

thunderflea
07-29-2014, 07:26 AM

What can I do to help? What kind of genre or artist generally speaking would you know? Perhaps I could come up with something.

thunderflea
07-29-2014, 08:01 AM
Well Tina, I am glad someone was willing to admit they hardly know any of this music.

I am really sorry to hear people are struggling with finding songs, I figured there was a little something here for everyone, but I guess that just proves I am an uppity music snob. If it gets really bad, let me know, we can work something out.

BTW, I did add Mills Brothers, hopefully that will help.

thunderflea
07-29-2014, 08:08 AM
ok thunderflea, i am taking a break from asking you stupid questions - here is a song from me for the season - "mirror in the bathroom" by the beat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWA4t8TQb9Q

Yes rude girl! Excellent rendition of this skankin' tune! The English Beat were my first taste of the Two-Tone ska sound that later became one of my favorite types of music. I really enjoyed this, thank you.

thunderflea
07-29-2014, 08:10 AM
Well I usually don't put in too much 'production' and try to keep things very 'pa'ed down. I really do usually do only one take. And I never memorise the lyrics even on my own songs - always read.
I was determined to show my harmonica playing in a vid for the first time this week but although it is videoed live (with no effects on the harp part) you can't even see the harp and I could have been munching on a sandwich. I do hang out waiting for each new season which is around noon on Sunday which gives me the afternoon to work up a vid. It has become what I do on a Sunday afternoon. And I usually figure I am just sharing a song with friends rather than competing or puting on a show.

Impressive none-the-less! Would that be a Vegemite sandwich? ha ha I always enjoy the songs you submit, Pa. It wouldn't be the same here without you.

thunderflea
07-29-2014, 08:26 AM
Last one from me.
Washing of the Water by Peter Gabriel. Really on two thirds of the song because I leave part of it out.
It's a beautiful song well worth a listen done by the composer IMHO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVQkcaN1sPM

I love this song and you sang it so sweetly. Thank you, Pa. I am bummed that you are done with your submissions. Should we have bonus songs? :)

thunderflea
07-29-2014, 08:31 AM
Here is my entry. I am working on another one.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPeENjkuhm4
You learned your lessons well..lessons on how to play your uke! Thanks for picking a song from Godspell, it is such a great an underrated musical. So many great songs on that album. If you know any others, I'd love to hear them.

ohmless
07-29-2014, 08:34 AM
http://youtu.be/YN9DcBue8Ss

a couple dropped chords(arrhythmic improvisations) but I chose to go with this one as it shows some progress on the voice front. I so wanted to go with "Ain't That Lonely Yet" but it was out of the reach of my skill. I just love his music.

BTW, for those interested in classical, The Doors did a cover of Pachelbel's Canon in D that I would love to hear done for uke!

Pueo
07-29-2014, 09:39 AM
Wow. The List. SO MUCH MUSIC THAT I LIKE TOO! I jotted down which bands I would like to play songs from - got 23 on the list.
I was trying to figure out a way to narrow it down.
I have decided to only cover a song of one of the bands on the list I have seen perform live.
That narrowed the list down to only 10(!) maybe 11, I think I may have seen Joe Jackson but I'm not entirely sure; I know we planned to when he was playing at a local venue in the 80's but I am not sure if we actually made it. Oh and Kool and the Gang - I remember that WE showed up, and Kool and the Gang did not, their bus broke down on the way to the Orange County Fair.

Now, how to narrow down that list of 10? I hope I decide by tomorrow, then I can choose a song...

thunderflea
07-29-2014, 09:56 AM
Boney M snobby.

I dig the sign you use to start the videos, it's a cool idea and you have nice penmanship.
You had me singing along with you on this one. I like the modulating. Great way to break in a new hat an new uke. What kind of uke is that, it looks extra small?

Boney M's is an interesting story. Americans for the most part have never heard of Boney M, the are much more popular in Europe. The producer who put the band together (which made up of four Caribbean-born "singers") was the same German guy who put Milli Vanilli together and later got busted (so-to-speak) for pretending the Vanili guys sang their songs.

Thanks for your contributions so far.

strumsilly
07-29-2014, 09:59 AM
how 'bout a playlist, if there isn't already one? that way I can listen while doing my chores.
thanks

thunderflea
07-29-2014, 10:02 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10jkBoPRdtw&feature=youtu.be

Fabulous, Fred!
If I had a daughter, I would be singing this song to her all the time, but nowhere near as well as you sing it.
You have very good pitch and resonance. I was singing the bass part along with you.
Perhaps you will have something else for us this season? *hoping*

UkeyDave
07-29-2014, 10:03 AM
What kind of uke is that, it looks extra small?

It's an impulse buy. I don't NEED a new Uke. I was at a Ukulele Jamboree at the weekend and the tent literally 10 yards from my tent was selling Ukes amongst other things. I heard this particular Uke calling my name (I TOTALLY BLAME REDPAUL2 for showing me his back in June). So it's a Kala Pocket/Travel Uke (obviously a talking one as it was calling my name) I swore I wouldn't do it but UAS hit me when I wasn't looking. :-)

pabrizzer
07-29-2014, 10:03 AM
Just listening to some Desmond Dekker.
Some good material - Sing a Little Song and Unity are very doable.
He does Baby Come Back too.
Lots of stuff there.

thunderflea
07-29-2014, 10:07 AM
A kind of non-denominational spiritual song from the Ink Spots.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qeTMC33TSDg
What a fine uplifting song that I have never heard before.
I gave a listen to the original and can see the attraction. Their harmonies are so sweet.
Thank you for introducing this song to me.

thunderflea
07-29-2014, 10:12 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVhSMFjrToA
Joe Jackson 1978 (I think)
Great song and excellent rendition! You really worked out the syncopated rhythm and lead line.
I like to play this song, too, but you play and sing it better. This is a contender, for sure.
I believe the song is called 'Is She Really Going Out With Him'.
Hopefully we'll get to hear more from you this week.

thunderflea
07-29-2014, 10:18 AM
Papa's In Bed With His Britches On

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7AIFRWLElI

I can tell you are hep to the jive, daddy! Hi-de-hi-de-hi-de-ho!
Great song and great effort with the multitracking.
I am sure you were flopping your hair back and forth like Cab while singing off camera.
Thank your for participating this week! More?

pabrizzer
07-29-2014, 10:29 AM
Something weird going on here at UU.
I swear 2 pages of posts just "appeared".
Good to see some beaut songs coming through.
Fred you are in fine voice!

thunderflea
07-29-2014, 10:36 AM
http://youtu.be/YN9DcBue8Ss
I so wanted to go with "Ain't That Lonely Yet" but it was out of the reach of my skill. I just love his music.

Yes, Ain't That Lonely Yet is a pretty difficult song.
I think this is my favorite entry of yours this week, written by one of my favorite artists.
Thank you for your entries this week! Keep on stummin'!

thunderflea
07-29-2014, 10:38 AM
Wow. The List. SO MUCH MUSIC THAT I LIKE TOO!

That is most excellent to hear! I was worried because some people apparently don't know any of the eligible bands. I don't want this season to be a bummer! Looking forward to what songs you settle on. :)

thunderflea
07-29-2014, 10:39 AM
how 'bout a playlist, if there isn't already one? that way I can listen while doing my chores.
thanks

Playlist is here (http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLCnM85BfMmdZaa30dKzlmocnMiFqXbNPF).
There is also a link at the very beginning of the thread.

I think I am all caught up.

myrnaukelele
07-29-2014, 11:46 AM

Sammu - Would contemporary classical be of interest to you? DukeEllington is one of the greatest American composers of all time IMHO. His work can be quite challenging and it would probably take more than a week to adapt one of his compositions for the uke. But his music is so very beautiful you might want to give it a listen. I'd love to hear you play one of his pieces.

Pueo
07-29-2014, 12:35 PM
Just listening to some Desmond Dekker.
Some good material - Sing a Little Song and Unity are very doable.
He does Baby Come Back too.
Lots of stuff there.
I agree, I really like his stuff too.

Tootler
07-29-2014, 12:50 PM

There were quite a few names I did recognise and several I did not. I went for some genres that interested me and started looking up bands discographies. That way I found a few songs I did know - often in versions by other artists. Wikipedia is as much your friend as You Tube in this.

lelouden
07-29-2014, 01:24 PM
I am really sorry to hear people are struggling with finding songs, I figured there was a little something here for everyone, but I guess that just proves I am an uppity music snob. If it gets really bad, let me know, we can work something out.

BTW, I did add Mills Brothers, hopefully that will help.

Wow was I wrong. Once I started doing my homework Ive found some pretty familiar stuff. Loads of it has been covered by others and Im happy to say BINGO I have three in the works:)

lelouden
07-29-2014, 02:07 PM
Ok, here is a quick no brainer. Who hasn't learned this song at some point in their life?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clxgXtzdiZs&feature=youtu.be

ukuleledaddy
07-29-2014, 07:40 PM
I was worried because some people apparently don't know any of the eligible bands. I don't want this season to be a bummer!

There's a ton of great stuff on your list! I only wish I had the time.
Like you, I love the old ZZ Top stuff (in the same way I love the old J. Geils Band stuff before they became really big). The Who, The Doors, I'd love to do some of that stuff. I'm surprised The Kinks aren't on your list though. Also, the Rocky soundtrack is probably my favorite soundtrack ever.

erivel
07-29-2014, 07:44 PM
Yay, an excuse to do an 80's song! Another one I loved as a kid. Sorry, that's my daughter in the background making all the noise. Thanks Thunderflea!

http://youtu.be/WOfCPmPW0JY

Sammu
07-29-2014, 09:06 PM
Sammu - Would contemporary classical be of interest to you? DukeEllington is one of the greatest American composers of all time IMHO. His work can be quite challenging and it would probably take more than a week to adapt one of his compositions for the uke. But his music is so very beautiful you might want to give it a listen. I'd love to hear you play one of his pieces.

Thanks for thinking of me Myrna! I love contemporary classical and do play a lot but no Duke Ellington. I'll see what I can do.

….I do seem to be living in a parallel universe…

:)

mythinformed
07-30-2014, 12:52 AM
I was worried because some people apparently don't know any of the eligible bands. I don't want this season to be a bummer!
I think you're doing a great job as host in setting out this 'Challenge' ...............If it ceases to become a challenge then we cease to learn.

DWitt
07-30-2014, 01:23 AM
This was really lovely, you have done such a good job with this song. The baritone uke fits that song so nicely and you have a soothing voice like Peter.
My favorite concert of all time was PG at the Greek Theater in Berkeley for the Security tour, it was my 16th birthday.
You totally did this song justice, which is no easy task. If you have time, please submit another song this week.

Oh, thanks so much! No time for another song this week—we're leaving town tomorrow to go visit family . . . in Portland, actually!

elmann
07-30-2014, 01:59 AM
There's a ton of great stuff on your list!
Yes, I really second that.
But some are terrific hard to play, e. g. I thought about some Jethro Tull ... but even simpler songs seem to be far above my possibilities. Still have to look.

strumsilly
07-30-2014, 03:56 AM
Playlist is here (http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLCnM85BfMmdZaa30dKzlmocnMiFqXbNPF).
There is also a link at the very beginning of the thread.

I think I am all caught up.
thanks,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

BigDaddyUker
07-30-2014, 03:58 AM
Thunderflea - so I was one that mentioned that I don't know many of the selections by name. I have been searching high and low for something and in that process have found songs that I did know but didn't know by name or by artist, but even better...have found many artists that I really like...Rockin to Desmond Dekker right now and if there is one thing I know that is ... Rudy Got Soul!!!! So thank you for a tremendous challenge. I may not come out with a song but definitely a deeper inventory of music and genres!!!

thunderflea
07-30-2014, 04:35 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clxgXtzdiZs&feature=youtu.be

Great old tune. I don't think I have heard The Sons version of this song.
I will have to see if I can find it, I am sure the harmonies are great.
For some reason this is the song that English rugby fans chant to cheer on their national team. (that's a head scratcher)
Looking forward to your other entries!

thunderflea
07-30-2014, 04:36 AM
Working on one myself! Legend.

*rubbing hands in anticipation*

thunderflea
07-30-2014, 04:42 AM
I'm surprised The Kinks aren't on your list though.

Funny you should say that. The Kinks are one of my favorite rock bands. The problem is that I am not familiar with the majority of their catalog like I am with the others listed. Someone might have done a song that I didn't know. People are doing that anyway, so perhaps I should have added them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0F50dX7wnY

thunderflea
07-30-2014, 04:48 AM
http://youtu.be/WOfCPmPW0JY
Oh yeah! It's songs like this that make me wish I could sing high. I couldn't even attempt this song.
I dig the grove when you get to the "I ask myself..." part.
Music snobbery week indeed! You passed!
More?

thunderflea
07-30-2014, 04:49 AM
I think you're doing a great job as host in setting out this 'Challenge' ...............If it ceases to become a challenge then we cease to learn.

Thank you for the words of encouragement, mythinformed!

thunderflea
07-30-2014, 04:50 AM
Oh, thanks so much! No time for another song this week—we're leaving town tomorrow to go visit family . . . in Portland, actually!

Enjoy your stay! It will be warm here, between 85 and 90 for the near future.

thunderflea
07-30-2014, 04:54 AM
Thunderflea - so I was one that mentioned that I don't know many of the selections by name. I have been searching high and low for something and in that process have found songs that I did know but didn't know by name or by artist, but even better...have found many artists that I really like...Rockin to Desmond Dekker right now and if there is one thing I know that is ... Rudy Got Soul!!!! So thank you for a tremendous challenge. I may not come out with a song but definitely a deeper inventory of music and genres!!!

Rudy Got Soul!
Yes, mon!
I am happy that you found some music that you like that you might not have otherwise heard.
Try this on for size, cause reggae got soul, too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95lpCDkoA-0

Markwo
07-30-2014, 06:51 AM
1st entry for this week. This was the 1st song that popped into my head while reviewing our possibilities. Check it out.

http://youtu.be/tx1RqEb0rPA

RAB11
07-30-2014, 06:54 AM
Really been struggling for time to play this week, let alone learn a new song. So I took my Dolphin to work with me, thrashed this one out at lunch and then recorded it in a Morrisons carpark on the way home from work while waiting for my girlfriend to get there. Think I may have a problem.

Working on a (hopefully) more impressive song for later in the week but just in case it doesn't happen here's some David Bowie for you:

http://youtu.be/hOzrwk9fdsM

Markwo
07-30-2014, 07:09 AM
Song #2 - here's one by Sir Duke!

http://youtu.be/Fo0QIIsaUMY

Markwo
07-30-2014, 07:49 AM
#3 and final entry for the week (you're probably getting sick of me anyway) - yet another Duke Ellington composition.

http://youtu.be/jQOZK4a4ZQg

thunderflea
07-30-2014, 09:46 AM
1st entry for this week. This was the 1st song that popped into my head while reviewing our possibilities. Check it out.

http://youtu.be/tx1RqEb0rPA

Right on! I have always loved this song. I used to play this song in a dance band and we did it in a medley with Beck's "New Pollution".
You did a great job and even included a rippin' Clapton solo. Looking forward to listening to your Duke entries!

thunderflea
07-30-2014, 10:12 AM
here's some David Bowie for you:

http://youtu.be/hOzrwk9fdsM

I was hoping I would get some submissions from the Let's Dance album!
You did a great job of covering both the main and backing vocals and nice strumming!
Cool shades, too. Hopefully we'll get another one out of you this week.

thunderflea
07-30-2014, 10:16 AM
Song #2 - here's one by Sir Duke!

http://youtu.be/Fo0QIIsaUMY

Finally one from Duke! This is such a fun song and is also the story of my life.
That's some sweet jazzy chords you are playing there and I really like the ending.
I had never heard the lyrics you used on the repeating turn around at the end.
I will have to remember that next time I give this song a go.

thunderflea
07-30-2014, 10:21 AM
#3 and final entry for the week (you're probably getting sick of me anyway) - yet another Duke Ellington composition.

http://youtu.be/jQOZK4a4ZQg

Sick of you? You 'gotsta' be kidding!
Not when you play the uke and sing like that.
That rhythm is sweet AND hot!
I want to add bass to this one.....
Thank you for your submissions this week!

CeeJay
07-30-2014, 11:37 AM
For some reason this is the song that English rugby fans chant to cheer on their national team. (that's a head scratcher)

Ahh ..yes ..this is true......however it is accompanied by certain gestures and actions that have little bearing to the spirit of the gospel song and everything to do with the spirit of rugby songs ........filthy....your Ma would blush ...even if you didn't

Chris

lelouden
07-30-2014, 03:18 PM

I haven't heard their version either. I searched and searched for a listen to get the lyrics they used but was unable to find it. Although I did find that they put out several spiritual albums and "Swing Low" was on one of them. Pabrizzer put me on to their spirituals and here is another that I couldn't listen to but gave it a lindafied version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNA5XqkpZXM&feature=youtu.be

erivel
07-30-2014, 03:34 PM
Oh yeah! It's songs like this that make me wish I could sing high. I couldn't even attempt this song.
I dig the grove when you get to the "I ask myself..." part.
Music snobbery week indeed! You passed!
More?

Thank you kind sir! I hope I have time to do another one this week.

Jazzbanjorex
07-30-2014, 04:01 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOcVIdH_MOo&feature=youtu.be

Jazzbanjorex
07-30-2014, 05:20 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkrHiWZwayc&feature=youtu.be

07-30-2014, 06:59 PM
ok let me post this before i go back and check the thread and maybe find out someone beat me to it...

cream - "white room"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gzySQs1IsA

Rustyy
07-30-2014, 07:06 PM
Great, able to log in again.

Here is a Dan Hicks song which should suit all of you Uppity Music Snobs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAWRsNmrilU

wee_ginga_yin
07-30-2014, 07:43 PM
Thank you for educating us about Sepi Kumpulainen. If nothing else, he has a fun name to say and a weird way to play.

I think it perfectly captures the existential angst of post modern minimalistic punk,
yet it is infused with the simplistic rhythms and rhymes so often found in the classic
Finnish poem the Kalevala, one could almost imagine Väinämöinen striking Louhi
with his spear as she tries to recover the Sampo :-)

mythinformed
07-30-2014, 08:39 PM
From one music snob to another, thanks for another cool week thunderflea. Here's a shot at Ellington's "Don't Get Around Much Anymore". Cheers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2Wrr34YSYI&feature=youtu.be

Nice one Jon, its not just a pleasure to listen to but a pleasure to watch a craftsman at work too !!

Tootler
07-30-2014, 11:28 PM
ok let me post this before i go back and check the thread and maybe find out someone beat me to it...

cream - "white room"

Wendy did, together with a lengthy analysis of the meaning of the lyrics. :confused:

Yours was good, btw.

GregTheGoldenEgg
07-31-2014, 02:57 AM
So I was thinking of taking a stab at Party At Ground Zero but i stumbled upon your rather excellent rendition of it from a couple months back for "Johnny" week and I think that maybe killed that idea.

And then I had a mind to do Washing of the Water but Pabrizzer beat me to it and I don't want the copycat rep. I'm guessing it's ok for more than one person to do the same song based on the Zombie madness from a couple weeks back but I think I might have a third choice coming that will likely not be double selected. Then maybe I will do my own take on the PG song if that's cool (?)

thunderflea
07-31-2014, 04:49 AM
Pabrizzer put me on to their spirituals and here is another that I couldn't listen to but gave it a lindafied version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNA5XqkpZXM&feature=youtu.be

Well, that was much more involved than I was expecting when I first started listening.
Harmonies, harmonica and hand claps, even! Testify, sister!
That was some great multitracking. Would have liked to seen a few of those hand claps and the harmony Linda. :)
I had to look up Paul and Silas, they apparently were in prison.
Thanks for bringing the gospel. Got more?

thunderflea
07-31-2014, 05:37 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOcVIdH_MOo&feature=youtu.be

Wow, that was really really good! It sounds like that song was written for your voice.
Neat technique with the shaker, very cool!
I like to sing this song when I am on a road trip.
I am going to check out your version of Reminiscing, I can't get enough of that song.

thunderflea
07-31-2014, 05:45 AM
From one music snob to another, thanks for another cool week thunderflea. Here's a shot at Ellington's "Don't Get Around Much Anymore". Cheers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2Wrr34YSYI&feature=youtu.be

That was fabulous!
A second version of that song for the week, but so nice as an instrumental.
As I said before, I like to play this song, but nowhere as well as that.
Mind if I steal a few licks? Who am I kidding, I don't think I have the chops.
That's for bringing us some Duke, Eugene!
If you have another one in you, I'd love to hear it.

thunderflea
07-31-2014, 05:56 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkrHiWZwayc&feature=youtu.be

Yes!! Dang, you have a great voice and I like your harmonized vocals.
This is a long song and you kept my interest throughout, great job!
Got one more in ya?

07-31-2014, 05:58 AM
Wendy did, together with a lengthy analysis of the meaning of the lyrics. :confused:

Yours was good, btw.
omgggggggggggg i totally missed that. have i missed a whole page - or more - of the thread??? that can happen :eek:

*rushes off to go check*

thunderflea
07-31-2014, 06:00 AM
cream - "white room"

Someone did beat you to it, but that doesn't matter.
This sort of sounds is like a punk version of this song, which actually works really well.
You decided to leave out the drummy intro, which I also thinks works in this version.
Do you happen to know Tales of Brave Ulysses? One of my favorite Cream tunes....

lelouden
07-31-2014, 06:24 AM
Well, that was much more involved than I was expecting when I first started listening.
Harmonies, harmonica and hand claps, even! Testify, sister!
That was some great multitracking. Would have liked to seen a few of those hand claps and the harmony Linda. :)
I had to look up Paul and Silas, they apparently were in prison.
Thanks for bringing the gospel. Got more?
I thought about that when I was adding it in through Garageband but was too lazy to record with the camera. Yes, there is a third coming and I plan to multi tape it for you:)

~dave~~wave~
07-31-2014, 06:40 AM
Quite a stimulating challenge this week, I'm enjoying the entries.
Give thanks for eclectic community radio station programming and older siblings' record collections.
I counted seven artists on the list I've previously covered for the Seasons.

I did the first two tracks from Tres Hombres, ZZ Top's third album, which I always considered a medley, since there's no pause between them on the original vinyl.

As instructed, no click track (hence the ragged timing) and all acoustic overdubs.
Harmonicas in three keys were employed for the solo break.

For the video, I found some photos of the band from back when Billy Gibbons used to shave.

http://youtu.be/G2gQx_36VN0

thunderflea
07-31-2014, 06:51 AM
Great, able to log in again.
Here is a Dan Hicks song which should suit all of you Uppity Music Snobs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAWRsNmrilU

Extra points for bringing the hot licks!
Excellent song choice. This is one of my favorites to play by Dan and company.
As you were playing, I was singing the backup counterpoint vocals (the Lickettes) to your Dan.
The lyrics to this song are so clever, like all his songs.
I actually use the term "canned music" frequently.
I play in a Hawaiian band where one of the musicians is also a dancer.
Sometimes he dances to canned music, so it is code word we use in the band for a recorded track, take a break.
Another great song that is pretty easy is I Scare Myself (basically E, F and C7).

thunderflea
07-31-2014, 06:57 AM
So I was thinking of taking a stab at Party At Ground Zero but i stumbled upon your rather excellent rendition of it from a couple months back for "Johnny" week and I think that maybe killed that idea.

Don't let that stop you, I'd love to hear someone else's rendition.

And then I had a mind to do Washing of the Water but Pabrizzer beat me to it and I don't want the copycat rep. I'm guessing it's ok for more than one person to do the same song based on the Zombie madness from a couple weeks back but I think I might have a third choice coming that will likely not be double selected. Then maybe I will do my own take on the PG song if that's cool (?)

Please do whatever you heart is telling you to play!

thunderflea
07-31-2014, 06:59 AM
I thought about that when I was adding it in through Garageband but was too lazy to record with the camera. Yes, there is a third coming and I plan to multi tape it for you:)

Sa-WEET! Looking forward to it.

GregTheGoldenEgg
07-31-2014, 07:12 AM
Please do whatever you heart is telling you to play!

Sometime's it's hard to distinguish between the voice of my heart and my imaginary friends. Working on it.

thunderflea
07-31-2014, 07:29 AM
Quite a stimulating challenge this week, I'm enjoying the entries.
I am happy to hear you think so, at first i wasn't sure if I had made a mistake in my approach to the season.

Give thanks for eclectic community radio station programming and older siblings' record collections.
Amen to that, brother!

http://youtu.be/G2gQx_36VN0

That was SO fun! The raggedy timed hand-played rhythm and bass was perfect.
Exactly the type of thing I was hoping I might see. You nailed the harp solo, man!
This is an excellent entry and your extra effort is duly noted.
You have a lot of great skills showcased in this one video.
If I had one criticism, it would be that I wish we could have seen more of your other tracks being recorded (vocals, harp, bass, etc.).
Same comment I made to Linda. That said, I also enjoyed your vintage ZZ photos and album covers.
Got more?

strumsilly
07-31-2014, 07:31 AM
having lots of trouble posting this. first, I caught the usb cable with my foot and yanked it out. then the net connection went down in the middle. anyway , here's an old Taj Mahal song, Fishin Blues.

http://youtu.be/YtAsEvJdv18

thunderflea
07-31-2014, 09:35 AM
having lots of trouble posting this. first, I caught the usb cable with my foot and yanked it out. then the net connection went down in the middle. anyway , here's an old Taj Mahal song, Fishin Blues.

http://youtu.be/YtAsEvJdv18

Great little sing-songy number that was probably my introduction to Taj Mahal, if it wasn't Take a Giant Step.
You were doing some great finger pickin' on this one! (not my strong suit)
I would like to learn this one, gonna give it a try while camping on a river this weekend.
Thanks for sharing!

BigDaddyUker
07-31-2014, 10:11 AM
I don't want to derail the seasons discussion but I have been poking around and can't find or have missed any threads on video and audio recording, editing etc. What equipment do people have in their 'recording studios' and what programs they are using for post production. Especially in the MAC world. Can anybody point in the right direction?

strumsilly
07-31-2014, 10:17 AM
I don't want to derail the seasons discussion but I have been poking around and can't find or have missed any threads on video and audio recording, editing etc. What equipment do people have in their 'recording studios' and what programs they are using for post production. Especially in the MAC world. Can anybody point in the right direction?
http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?79321-Ukulele-pickup-or-condenser-microphone-for-studio-recording&highlight=recording+tips
http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?54985-Tips-for-making-a-good-video-without-having-alot-of-gear&highlight=video+recording+tips

pabrizzer
07-31-2014, 10:20 AM

What the host says. I'd love to hear your take on Washing of the Water.

wee_ginga_yin
07-31-2014, 10:45 AM
Ciggies & Burds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8G_0xNdZvI

greyghost
07-31-2014, 10:46 AM
I was very pleased to see a Progressive Rock section--my favorite music (I just saw Yes a couple of weeks ago), but difficult to translate to ukulele. Anyway, I've gone back to the genre's roots in a big way--here's my take on King Crimson. I've always loved Greg Lake's voice, so I hope I've done it justice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OPoiAaC07s

lelouden
07-31-2014, 12:52 PM
Thanks for the challenge thunderflea. I am so glad I did my homework. I found one of my favorite songs of all time. Apparently it has been covered by a googolplexian of uke players and over 60 different groups, one being the Mills Brothers. Who knew??? Not I :)

Its been a long while since I have put this kind of time into one of my songs and boy did I have fun!

Tenor Uke, Baritone Uke and Cajon...all me:)

Thanks thunder flea for being such a big snob!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2I66ldTVJo&feature=youtu.be

thunderflea
07-31-2014, 01:00 PM
Ciggies & Burds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8G_0xNdZvI

I have no idea who on my list plays that sad, sad song.

thunderflea
07-31-2014, 01:08 PM
I was very pleased to see a Progressive Rock section--my favorite music...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OPoiAaC07s

First, I like your intro....I agree progressive rock kind of epitomizes music snobbery.
This is a really difficult song to sing, you did an awesome job!
Greg Lake is one of my favorite singers, but most of his stuff is too high for me to sing.
I was also a huge ELP fan growing up.
I also really King Crimson with Adrian Belew on vocals (and guitar) during the eighties.
Doesn't hurt that Tony Levin was their bass player by then.
Thank you for bringing the prog!
Got anything else a brewin'?

I am so happy that you chose to play this song!

thunderflea
07-31-2014, 01:16 PM
Thanks for the challenge thunderflea

Thank you for taking the challenge!

Its been a long while since I have put this kind of time into one of my songs and boy did I have fun!
Tenor Uke, Baritone Uke and Cajon...all me:)
Thanks thunder flea for being such a big snob!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2I66ldTVJo&feature=youtu.be

Linda, you outdid yourself there. You are really getting the hang of the multitracking.
That sounded sooo good! I like the reverb you are using, it sounds professional.
Brilliant use of the cajon, too. Is that something you have played much? I have been thinking about maybe getting one.
I like the way you visually faded the cajon in. I have never tried such a thing, I always just cut from one instrument to another.
That was a great idea, I may have to steal it! :)
Thank you for your wonderful submissions this week!

lelouden
07-31-2014, 01:21 PM

Im sure you have found your answers out by now with strumsilly's reply. I have a Macbook Pro. Thats all I use. I also use a little $30 Samson Go Compact USB Microphone (bought on amazon) that comes in handy especially if I am a good distance from the computer or outside. it is tiny and I can clip it to my pant leg if I have nothing to put it on. Macs come with Garageband and iMovie with built in mic and camera.

Hope that helped :)

thunderflea
07-31-2014, 01:25 PM
Well, everyone, I hate to say it, but I will be disappearing for a few days.
My family has an opportunity to spend the weekend camping above a beautiful Oregon river.
I hope no one will fault me for taking advantage of the opportunity.

I promise that when I return I will comment on every submitted video.
I don't think I will have reception where we are going, plus it wouldn't be fair to you guys if I was listening to your submissions on some crappy phone.
We'll see how it works out....

Please continue to encourage each other in my absence, dear Seasonistas.

- Russ (Thunderflea)

greyghost
07-31-2014, 01:28 PM

Maybe--I also like ELP....
And Yes....

CeeJay
07-31-2014, 01:29 PM
Well, everyone, I hate to say it, but I will be disappearing for a few days.
My family has an opportunity to spend the weekend camping above a beautiful Oregon river.
I hope no one will fault me for taking advantage of the opportunity.

I promise that when I return I will comment on every submitted video.
I don't think I will have reception where we are going, plus it wouldn't be fair to you guys if I was listening to your submissions on some crappy phone.
We'll see how it works out....

Please continue to encourage each other in my absence, dear Sandinistas.

- Russ (Thunderflea)

Now when you say "above " a beautiful Oregon river ....I is mostly dumbstruck....how ...in a hovertent ?

Do excuse my silliness. 'tis the season in the UK.

lelouden
07-31-2014, 01:31 PM
Thank you for taking the challenge!

Linda, you outdid yourself there. You are really getting the hang of the multitracking.
That sounded sooo good! I like the reverb you are using, it sounds professional.
Brilliant use of the cajon, too. Is that something you have played much? I have been thinking about maybe getting one.
I like the way you visually faded the cajon in. I have never tried such a thing, I always just cut from one instrument to another.
That was a great idea, I may have to steal it! :)
Thank you for your wonderful submissions this week!

I was inspired to get a cajon after seeing pabrizzer's son play one in some of Brian's vids. I played the drums badly as a kid. I even had a pink Pearl drum set :) I figured I could play the cajon equally as bad if I got one. Bought it through amazon , but Brian made his. Ask him about it:)

I think as musically gifted as you are you should try one!

Thanks again for the music exposure. This has proved to be a great week!

pabrizzer
07-31-2014, 01:32 PM
I have no idea who on my list plays that sad, sad song.
It was The Sons of the Pioneers.

07-31-2014, 01:55 PM
Do you happen to know Tales of Brave Ulysses? One of my favorite Cream tunes....
WOW - that is a song and a half!!!!!! i never heard it before - thanks so much for the heads up!

southside mike
07-31-2014, 02:09 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JFWfVf47pU
MY second one.

decaturcomp
07-31-2014, 02:54 PM
Belew also played the Chapman Stick with Crimson, fwiw.

First, I like your intro....I agree progressive rock kind of epitomizes music snobbery.
This is a really difficult song to sing, you did an awesome job!
Greg Lake is one of my favorite singers, but most of his stuff is too high for me to sing.
I was also a huge ELP fan growing up.
I also really King Crimson with Adrian Belew on vocals (and guitar) during the eighties.
Doesn't hurt that Tony Levin was their bass player by then.
Thank you for bringing the prog!

I am so happy that you chose to play this song!

greyghost
07-31-2014, 03:00 PM
As soon as Kala comes out with a U-Stick, I'll be all over that sucker!

ohmless
07-31-2014, 03:09 PM
Sorry, I feel like I left something at the table. I put in a couple more days of work with my current songs and here is a REDO effort for "A Thousand Miles From Nowhere"

http://youtu.be/aK9jQC7VlGU

bonesigh
07-31-2014, 04:36 PM
I swear I'm going to catch up on all these video that have been posted. I've watched a few and commented (: I've been working on and off all day on a couple of videos. Loads and loads of editing!! Hope to post one tonight.

bonesigh
07-31-2014, 05:16 PM
Wow, that sure loaded fast for a change. Here is a tune from O K L A H O M A ............. Oklahoma! BTW if anyone has any sheet music for any of the songs from this musical could you private post 'em??? Unless Thunder says post 'em here. I really wanted to do the song "People Will Say We're in Love" but it's hard to work out what chords to use. I did it with "Surrey With the Fringe on Top" for another season and it was very time consuming (:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGvEFdDdU8g&feature=youtube_gdata_player

decaturcomp
07-31-2014, 05:21 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97h1a0DwfNs

decaturcomp
07-31-2014, 05:22 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57H5WbV3lxo

decaturcomp
07-31-2014, 05:22 PM
I had 30 minutes to do the three videos for this week. It seems kinda like a old timers' jumble sale, I know.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NeLyZKPlXng

bonesigh
07-31-2014, 05:52 PM
Oooh, I like old timers' jumble sales. Especially when it's good music like yours Alan (:

decaturcomp
07-31-2014, 06:09 PM
broadway stuff doesn't find it's way into the general online stuff except in the pay versions it seems (they're usually better than the stuff we usually settle for, though).
Here's a sort of fakebookish lead sheet (http://www.guitarcats.com/realbook-jazz-standards/people-will-say-were-in-love).

Wow, that sure loaded fast for a change. Here is a tune from O K L A H O M A ............. Oklahoma! BTW if anyone has any sheet music for any of the songs from this musical could you private post 'em??? Unless Thunder says post 'em here. I really wanted to do the song "People Will Say We're in Love" but it's hard to work out what chords to use. I did it with "Surrey With the Fringe on Top" for another season and it was very time consuming (:

07-31-2014, 06:46 PM
Tales of Brave Ulysses? One of my favorite Cream tunes....
well......... i hope i don't ruin it for you!

but since you told me about the song, and i checked it out, and went WOW :bowdown: and couldn't stop listening to it

i just had to cover it

it's a huuuuuuuuuuuuuge song, and so i felt compelled for some contrary reason to try and play it on my smallest uke!

tales of brave ulysses

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KERsSVnQ3-g

elmann
07-31-2014, 09:58 PM
Macs come with Garageband and iMovie
Yeah, that's a big big advantage. MovieMaker is shabby agains Garageband/iMovie. OK, for the extra price of a Mac one get a lot of good software ... but who does?

uke4ia
08-01-2014, 12:23 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMd4xajduig

Since Thunderflea is a prog fan, this is a theme that I would usually go hog wild with. But circumstances have left me with very little time to do a video for this week. I was happy to get a quick song in last night. This is Genesis' "The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway".

decaturcomp
08-01-2014, 02:41 AM
That is most excellent to hear! I was worried because some people apparently don't know any of the eligible bands. I don't want this season to be a bummer! Looking forward to what songs you settle on. :)

That's a fair point. There are sort of two ways to go when hosting: The great wide open version where folks can use their own judgement to play something they know or want to learn to fit a theme like, Money or Water or a feeling, like the wonderful season we had around "saudade" (...a feeling of longing, melancholy, or nostalgia that is supposedly characteristic of the Portuguese or Brazilian temperament.)

Then there are seasons, like this one, where folks are forced to work a little harder or learn something new if they want to play, well, if they want to play AND follow the rules. This can be really great sometimes and sometimes it can be so limiting that some of us are forced to move along and wait for the next season. That's why I started the Island of Misfit Seasonistas so that folks who can't or don't want to follow the rules for a season can post something that they DO want to play that week.

And, of course, as Jon will tell you, some of us just don't follow rules well at all and still post in the season. I was really distracted during his week concerning Tin Pan Alley and got hung up on the years that he indicated that phenom took place in. I posted three completely wrongheaded songs that had little, nay NOTHING to do with Tin Pan Alley. Jon was nice enough to say something like how amazed he was that I was able to miss the mark not once but thrice. AND I'm still not sure what Yacht Rock means (for one thing, the examples I've heard don't have much to do with Rock, but I digress...and the Yacht Rock season was a lot of fun anyway.)

Finally, there's a whole thing about folks posting questions about the parameters of the season and the host making judgement calls. I decided to address that in the following way. During my last season I said something like: "If you have a question about the rules for this Season, kindly make up an answer for yourself and post whatever you'd like to post".

Personally, I'm not in this to win but to share some songs with some friends.

Thanks for hosting!

Tootler
08-01-2014, 09:00 AM
I was worried because some people apparently don't know any of the eligible bands. I don't want this season to be a bummer! Looking forward to what songs you settle on. :)

It did surprise me when some said that. I thought there might be bands they'd heard of even if they weren't totally familiar with their material. That was the case with me though there were several where I knew one or two songs even if I was not totally familiar. I actually chose a couple of bands I didn't know, looked them up and came up with songs I had heard, though by other artists and I have learnt a couple of songs that I had heard a long time ago but never really knew well.

I think that is part of what the seasons are about; looking up and learning songs you are unfamiliar with or only slightly familiar with. It has helped me expand my repertoire. I learnt the uke so I could accompany myself singing traditional and contemporary folk songs but the seasons has encouraged me to re-acquaint myself with 50s rock and roll and early 60s pop which was what I knew from my teenage years and I ended up doing Sweet Little Sixteen at an open mike on Tuesday with my Risa electric and it went down really well. It might even land me a booking but I'm not pinning too many hopes on that one. I just love playing music and as well as ukulele I play in a wind band and a recorder group and sing in a choir.

This has been a good week. I was listening to the entries last night while doing something else and there's some great stuff.

I say great theme with plenty of choice if you're prepared to do a little digging.

pabrizzer
08-01-2014, 09:06 AM
According to Wiki the Mills Brothers made more than 2000 recordings.
Now until this season I knew very little about them. One of them played a mean baritone ukulele.
A lot of the songs are very popular uke songs too.
And their vocals are pure bliss.

And I am sure Matty Dee would be so impressed with the their mouth trumpets!

Tootler
08-01-2014, 09:09 AM
I looked up Asleep at the Wheel who I was not familiar with and found they had recorded this song at some time. I first remember it from Bob Dylan's Freewheelin' album but on looking around I found it has been recorded in just about any genre of popular music you can think of. Among the versions I listened to was one by a Dixieland style jazz band fronted by Wynton Marsalis and Eric Clapton with Taj Mahal on vocals (listen to it here (http://youtu.be/y7eeb1MTkUY), it's great!) - so covered by two of the nominated artists.

I play it here on my Risa Uke'Ellie, Casio Digital Horn and a LogJam Stompbox to provide some rhythm.

http://youtu.be/-2juSlWEP9c

Forgot to mention, Big Joe Turner also covered it in Rockabilly style.

mattydee
08-01-2014, 11:39 AM
Peter Gabriel's So is an album I have loved for many, many years. I had a pretty tough time deciding which tune to do from it (after I had ruled out all the Talking Heads' songs I had considered), and finally came up with this, made famous by a certain scene in a certain Cameron Crowe movie.

http://youtu.be/KkYZM6atELQ

southside mike
08-01-2014, 11:51 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZEccBZ1vUs
Here's my third one.

TCK
08-01-2014, 12:04 PM
A time machine ride to Randy's Records, Kingston JA.
Creator- 1963

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4HNKdmdvPQ&feature=youtu.be

ksiegel
08-01-2014, 12:26 PM
Here's my take on Taj Mahal's version of Henry Thomas' "Fishing Blues".

The only Taj Mahal Song I can say I've known for over 35 years...

http://youtu.be/WCLDjBjS-d4

lelouden
08-01-2014, 01:04 PM
Yeah, that's a big big advantage. MovieMaker is shabby agains Garageband/iMovie. OK, for the extra price of a Mac one get a lot of good software ... but who does?

PHOTOGRAPHERS, MUSICIANS, MOVIE MAKERS and ME :D

Yes, macs aren't cheap but if you want everything in one convenient package and you stop buying ukes like they are potato chip (admit it,...we all do that) they are worth it......to me!

True story: My husband was always coming in and saying I need to use your computer! I would sigh and slump and say ok but don't close out of my pages and hurry!!! ;) I would get the mac back....of course with my pages closed. Grrrrr! Id say get your own *%#@ computer!...( of course with a loving smile.) This went on for years until he said "Honey, I bought my own laptop:D it was only $400".

Guess what!.....He still says...."I need to use your computer". Arggggg

BigDaddyUker
08-01-2014, 04:47 PM
YES! 57 takes and a horrible ending but I found a song, got it recorded and posted. Several takes with the kids to burn up the cute meter but something always happened in the last couple lines of the song. Literally sang this song so much my 4 year old knows most of the lyrics.

http://youtu.be/YNgt6PloSKg

Rustyy
08-01-2014, 06:22 PM
Earlier in the week I had a lot of fun doing a Dan Hicks track, so decided on another that was on his "Last Train To Hicksville' album, and Alan playing "My Old Timey Baby" got me into the mood even more. I didn't go back and listen to Dan's version before I recorded it, and my memory was that it was quite slow, so that's how I played it. Afterwards I listened to Dan and was surprised that mine was much slower. Oh well, it gave me a chance to get into it a bit more.

I know I received bonus points on the first one, and I am tempting fate, just like on the stock market, by averaging down with a second entry, but who cares. As Commander Cody said: this is "Too Much Fun"

I was tempted to put Uppity Music Slob because I think that's a better description for me

http://youtu.be/HWYG09LVb1I

BigDaddyUker
08-01-2014, 09:05 PM

http://www.guntheranderson.com/v/data/peoplewi.htm

Does that help at all?

thesillydave
08-01-2014, 09:06 PM
took me a week to get this down! the rhythm really messed me up! joe jackson's 'is she really going out with him' 1978

http://youtu.be/POG-mr5q39U
cheers all!

Barbablanca
08-01-2014, 11:57 PM
Just about to head off to Northern Ireland, then Scotland then Liverpool and the North West.

We'll almost certainly have no means of uploading videos on our route - so.... Happy Seasons 129 - 132!
Though we do hope to meet up with Mike F at one stage and maybe get a joint effort done for that week. :)

If anyone else on here lives in Northern Ireland (2-10th August), Lowland Scotland ( 12th - 15th) or the North West of England (15th - 26th) and fancies meeting up then PM me with a phone number and an address.

Cheers,

Berni

RAB11
08-02-2014, 05:39 AM
An abridged version of some classic pretentious overblown RAWK.

http://youtu.be/KwDO3lLHGr0

:rock:

Cornfield
08-02-2014, 05:45 AM
http://youtu.be/93mIu9JHGNM

I tried several times this week to work out an arrangement that I could play and sing. This is the best I could come up with. It's a song from the first Blood Sweat and Tears album. No trumpets, saxophones, trombones, organ or bass guitar. Just uke and me.

dickadcock
08-02-2014, 08:07 AM
Here's an Ink Spots song without the talking part. I contemplated that, but if you listen to a lot their stuff, you'll find that gimmick it gets old fast. So we have sort of a Clint Eastwood impression of the Ink Spots, as I never found a key I liked. … and I wanted to do another song if there's time. -- Dick

http://youtu.be/UHn1uaStwSA

decaturcomp
08-02-2014, 09:37 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQirdzUInFU

UkeyDave
08-02-2014, 09:57 AM
There is NO WAY the host can post a song by the wonderful Toots & the Maytals without me being forced into having a go. So here it is. ;-)
Reggae Got Soul.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLcs5GjjYMk

greenie44
08-02-2014, 10:31 AM
And here's a man who needs no introduction - Bobby . . . Bobby Blue . . . Bobby Blue Bland, ladies and gentlemen, Bobby Blue Bland . . .

(as his MC used to introduce him)

Bobby Bland is great, and I have wanted to do this song for ages. After a couple of run throughs, it fit pretty well. Hope you like it.

http://youtu.be/oj8LIzFgwTY

Lumpy Wafflesquirt
08-02-2014, 11:28 AM
Here's one that was played by Ellington and Basie [possibly not together!].
Of course I don't play their arrangements, I have scored it for Uke and Harp. I think the score was probably 2-0 ;^)
It is played here by part of the Will Be band as the drummer was unavailable at the time. The harp video is not quite right as I had little to go on to get the sych right :^(

http://youtu.be/qG-cOR_xU5o

Satin doll was written by Duke Ellington and Billy Strayhorn in 1953 The words were added by Johnny Mercer some time after it had been an instrumental hit.

I had also hoped to do an Inkspots number, but I think it is too late to try to get that recorded as the technology often conspires against me as it has this week. This 2 minute video is going to take 30 minutes to upload, closed the editing software down 5 times while editing and crashed the PC once while rendering. That is not the worst record for making a video for me.

That preview image of the video is a bit wacky isn't it :^)

Harry122
08-02-2014, 01:04 PM
A favorite Desmond Dekker song from 1968.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Apr_rEY4rZE&feature=youtu.be

08-02-2014, 01:17 PM
A favorite Desmond Dekker song from 1968.
that was such a great cover!

anyone from the UK remember this old maxell ad?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_MfblvHJmI

cracks me up!

TheOnlyUkeThatMatters
08-02-2014, 04:24 PM
My wife and I have been visiting family all week in New Jersey and Pennsylvania, so no clue if anyone's played this great Peter Gabriel song yet.

http://youtu.be/UzppqvmIur0

Thanks to Jessica for camera work on this one.

bonesigh
08-02-2014, 04:29 PM
Don't know why the video posted to my original's channel. I'll have to reload it on the right channel. For now though for your enjoyment and education I present a tutorial of "Henehene Kou 'Aka" from IZ's Facing Future album.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDsX4q3YQZ0&feature=youtube_gdata
Fast forward to 5:00 if you want to skip the tutorial part (:

TheUkeBloke
08-02-2014, 06:30 PM
Here's my entry for Season 128.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQkkChRLoEA

myrnaukelele
08-02-2014, 07:39 PM
Finally home again after another week of traveling. I've only been home two days in all of July.
Forgive me for reminiscing. I've always loved Dan Hicks and have every one of his albums. I've seen him live twice.
In case I don't get an actual entry together tomorrow here's a rerun - my entry for Week 2 of the Seasons.

http://youtu.be/S8W7ovg7tvc

GregTheGoldenEgg
08-02-2014, 08:02 PM
originally i wanted to do an even deeper cut and was thinking of trying to pull off Intruder (from before he got all big and famous and stuff) but this song just moves me and i liked your advice about listening to my heart. Hope you enjoy:

http://youtu.be/TjBUs7WHhmk

thesillydave
08-02-2014, 08:24 PM
just saw that myrna did this too! oh well, great minds think alike!

http://youtu.be/QHoGsAqM1cc
chhers all!

dickadcock
08-03-2014, 02:38 AM
This is an old favorite of mine. We once had a 78 RPM record of my mother doing this, acc. herself on the guitar. I don't know if that or any other of the records we made at home have survived. (I do know that my recordings from the late 40's were not art, just memories) Hop, Hop, Bunny Rabbit — was that even a real song?
Anyway, Navajo Trail (Sons of the Pioneers) is "rite purty", even when done by people in unstarched clothing.

http://youtu.be/0nTF4UVW3zc

Tootler
08-03-2014, 05:20 AM
This song was originally recorded by Big Joe Turner though it was made famous by Bill Haley and was later recorded by Elvis as well as many others.

http://youtu.be/u32xo50buBs

myrnaukelele
08-03-2014, 12:41 PM
just saw that myrna did this too! oh well, great minds think alike!

http://youtu.be/QHoGsAqM1cc
chhers all!
Nice version of this one sillydave! And mine is just a repeat (from Season 2) so yours is the one that will go on the Playlist.
Still hoping to record one today but the sun is shining and the raspberries need to be picked...

uke4ia
08-03-2014, 01:07 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHrCFjUQNM4

Here's a second entry for this week. Steely Dan "Don't Take Me Alive". I blew out my voice on this before I remembered that I've never done a Steely Dan song because I mistakenly learn the song in the original key, but I can't sing as high as Donald Fagen. It was too high in the original key, but too low when I sang the chorus an octave lower. So I dropped the whole uke from C to A tuning and tried again.

CeeJay
08-03-2014, 01:29 PM
that was such a great cover!

anyone from the UK remember this old maxell ad?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_MfblvHJmI

cracks me up!

Excellente vid ...WHERE did you drag this up from.....Magnetic tape in cassettes ...ah those where the days .......

08-03-2014, 01:38 PM
Excellente vid ...WHERE did you drag this up from.....Magnetic tape in cassettes ...ah those where the days .......
i had in my mind the image of someone doing the title card thing to this, and "my ears are alight" - but apart from that i didn't have a clue - i think i searched for "israelites song my ears are alight" and the youtube search engine took pity on my and gave me this vid!

yeah. audio cassettes. i remember when they seemed soooooooooooooooooooooooooo modern. i used to save the little programs i wrote on my zx computer onto them!!!!!!!! ah yes... happy, very very lo-fi days!

CeeJay
08-03-2014, 03:05 PM
Season 128 Experiment with
The Uppitty Music Snob watching..

jeez I'm a chancer.....

Took the E and ..er ..E strings off a
six string Banjo - retuned it slightly to
A D F# B to create a Baritonesque
Banjo - Uke (Yes I know it should be DGBE I took the wrong strings off )

Not sure if this will work ...
please let me know if you think it sounds right (not the playing ..that's
bollox)..or I may get a plectrum banjo
and retune to DGBE........

My voice is croaked due to "singing" yesterday with The Uketeers at the Alnwick Music Festival in ..........urm guess..(sorry overponders...Alnwick is a town in Northumberland and the castle was used in Harry Potter fillums...moo vees...)

http://youtu.be/RuK3mCrTpZ4

PS Thunderflea.......Asleep At The Wheel are my newest ,favourite, (yes auto correct the U is English ...you b**ger) Country Band ....they seem to have a fairly small repertoire for a band of such longevity ...but hell they are tighter than a pair of double knotted laces ....

CeeJay
08-03-2014, 03:40 PM
Oooooooooooooooooh and to add inslut to inrujy ...here is a copy of me doing a Doors number.........but the prohibited one.........I don't care ...Decaturcomp Rule Card Played ......lol...maniacally..you know ? ..the real MwahhhhhhaHHaaaaHaaAAA stuff...strange....people are though..

http://youtu.be/Q8pcAQyuoIo?list=UU5mGTv9Rr1VuUM1EaFsCaVg

08-03-2014, 05:20 PM
Oooooooooooooooooh and to add inslut to inrujy ...here is a copy of me doing a Doors number.........but the prohibited one.........I don't care ...Decaturcomp Rule Card Played ......lol...maniacally..you know ? ..the real MwahhhhhhaHHaaaaHaaAAA stuff...strange....people are though..

yes they are strange!

and... alan's rule sounds like a terribly dangerous thing, potentially, in the wrong hands!!!!!!!!!!

i can envision everyone but the host ending up on the naughty step!

myrnaukelele
08-03-2014, 07:14 PM
Finally found time to record something for this Season. Here's a Duke Ellington song.

http://youtu.be/uscrqYF5lMU

thunderflea
08-04-2014, 10:19 AM
Now when you say "above " a beautiful Oregon river ....I is mostly dumbstruck....how ...in a hovertent ?
Do excuse my silliness. 'tis the season in the UK.

On a bluff, overlooking the Clackamas River.
Better that in a van down by the river!

thunderflea
08-04-2014, 10:59 AM
I am back from camping.
I am excited to see all the videos that were posted while I was away!
Looking at the titles, some really great songs were picked, and I am looking forward to listening to them all.
I will continue to comment on the new vids as time allows me this week. I will comment on all of them by Friday.
I will announce a winner thereafter.

I have updated the playlist (http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLCnM85BfMmdZaa30dKzlmocnMiFqXbNPF).
If your video did not make it to the playlist, please let me know.

CeeJay
08-04-2014, 12:19 PM
...Umm ..sorry ..but what is a bluff.......is it a poker strategy ?

...........Clackamas River....sounds almost festive......Menny Clackamas...that is my new pun....(sorry I have needs ............you would not believe how special)

Yes Nurse I will get back into bed now......sheesh..

Pueo
08-04-2014, 12:27 PM
Man, I practiced three songs and did not get a chance to make a video. Lame.

bonesigh
08-04-2014, 03:23 PM
Pueo, why don't you just go ahead and post 'em now. We'll watch 'em (:

thunderflea
08-04-2014, 04:21 PM
I totally agree with bonesigh! I'd love to hear them!

GregTheGoldenEgg
08-04-2014, 05:43 PM
i had another one worked out that i didn't record also. rock/reggae stylee... not gonna say which one.
Ready to do this theme again though!!
Also if it wasn't so damn confusing i would take a stab at Three of a Perfect Pair. Love that song

uke4ia
08-04-2014, 06:09 PM
Also if it wasn't so damn confusing i would take a stab at Three of a Perfect Pair. Love that song

I'd be interested in hearing that. Personally, I'd love to learn Red and maybe Matte Kudesai.

thunderflea
08-05-2014, 06:07 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JFWfVf47pU
MY second one.

And you nailed it! Excellent job cover this song!
I listened to "Little Creatures" cassette over and over in my car when it came out (I was in high school).
I was happy that the Talking Heads didn't jump the shark like so many of my favorite other bands of the time.
My sister also had a son right when that album came out, so I would always sing "Stay Up Late" to him.
So many great songs on that album.

thunderflea
08-05-2014, 06:11 AM
Sorry, I feel like I left something at the table. I put in a couple more days of work with my current songs and here is a REDO effort for "A Thousand Miles From Nowhere"

http://youtu.be/aK9jQC7VlGU

I can most certainly hear the difference between your first take and this one.
Your strumming is more solid and I noticed you captured more of the subtleties of the song.

Have you ever seen Dwight on the TV comedy Wilfred? Funny stuff!

thunderflea
08-05-2014, 06:16 AM

He played mostly stick with KC. I should have said that he played the role of the bass.

thunderflea
08-05-2014, 06:26 AM

OMG, how did you get your voice so low?! That was so great!
You captured the back and forth between Curly and Joe so well, where Curly suggests that because Jud does not feel appreciated, he could hang himself, and everyone would realize how much they cared about him.
I can't imagine it was easy to continue playing your uke and syncing all the back and forth.
Extra points for effort!

I am pretty sure this song is called "Pore Jud is Daid". Is that because Curly (or Jud) can't spell?

thunderflea
08-05-2014, 06:29 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97h1a0DwfNs

I so love this song.
You got the uke rhythm just right and the vocals are excellent.
Nice whistling, too, Ian!
Looking forward to hearing your other entries.

thunderflea
08-05-2014, 06:35 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57H5WbV3lxo

This was a very nice, somewhat mellowed version of this tune. Great ending.
This was one of the albums that my sister left behind that I listened to over and over.
The songs are short, but great every one.
Thank you for bringing us some Elvis, it was much needed!

thunderflea
08-05-2014, 06:39 AM
I had 30 minutes to do the three videos for this week. It seems kinda like a old timers' jumble sale, I know.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NeLyZKPlXng

Old timey jumble sale...I can't get enough of Dan Hicks, so I don't mind.
I like that you chose to play the banjo uke on this one, it adds to the old-timey-ness.
I sang along with you through the whole song.
The lyrics to this song are really creative, as are most of Dan's lyrics.

That's my baby!

thunderflea
08-05-2014, 06:46 AM
well......... i hope i don't ruin it for you!
but since you told me about the song, and i checked it out, and went WOW :bowdown: and couldn't stop listening to it
i just had to cover it
it's a huuuuuuuuuuuuuge song, and so i felt compelled for some contrary reason to try and play it on my smallest uke!
tales of brave ulysses

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KERsSVnQ3-g

I am super happy that:
1) you liked this song upon hearing it.
2) you covered the song after hearing it for a day or two.
3) You played it that well after such a short time.
Very impressive!!

I am not a huge fan of Clapton's solo music, but Cream is one of my all-time favorites.
I think the deciding factor is likely Jack Bruce, whose voice I like better than Clapton's.
Ginger's no slouch, either.

Thank you for making the extra effort to play a song you had never heard before.

UkeyDave
08-05-2014, 07:08 AM

http://youtu.be/Q8pcAQyuoIo?list=UU5mGTv9Rr1VuUM1EaFsCaVg
Have you posted this in 128 instead of 129? Jarvo? See what I did there? lol