What's your favorite brand for a soprano

BIGDB

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I'm wondering what YOUR favorite brand for soprano ukuleles are. I know every ukulele is different and everyone has their personal favorites that's why I'm asking what your favorite brand is. I'm looking to buy one and wanna spend maybe $800-$1200

Thanks

The only soprano I've kept is a Kamaka HP-1 pineapple, so that's my clear favorite. But I've encountered some very nice Koaloha and Kiwaya sopranos as well. If you want a koa uke, I'd say Kamaka or Koaloha; if you want mahogany, Kiwaya or vintage Martin. All of those should be within your price range.

I loved my little Kiwaya, so +1 on that. I only upgraded from the KTS4 to a tenor because I'm 6'5" and I was struggling with the fretboard.

You own it already, Big: Martin

I have a Favilla that I love for it's big sweet sound and easy playability (and simple, un-fancy humble-ness)
But the best soprano I've ever played was a Scott Wise... I picked it up in a shop and looked at everything in there while strumming this little thing, I couldn't put it down - as light as a bees wing; loud, sweet, balanced... How could something so small give me such joy?
Without thinking I nearly walked out - still strumming!

Last edited:
For that price go for a custom. Get the wood choice you want with added bling or pick ups etc.

Hi Tangi, just curious who you'd suggest getting a soprano custom from....other than MM, since I've done that.

I saw a kamaka long neck soprano at island guitars...it sounds amazing....and looks just as good.....2000 buckaroo though :)

Mahogany = Vintage Martin (quite a few nice ones have been on ebay lately)

Other: Koa KoAloha long neck soprano

Kamaka and vintage Martin are the classic sopranos. Kamaka is still making great sopranos, especially the pineapple. I'm a huge fan of Ken Timms if you're looking for a modern soprano in the Martin style. He often sells his sopranos on ebay. I got one by having ebay notify me when he posts new items for sale.

Black Bear sopranos look fantastic and sound great, but I haven't gotten a chance to play one in person yet. I have a feeling I'll be buying one eventually. Duane often posts in the marketplace section.

Vintage Martin's are the gold standard...

Martin or Kiwaya . I like vintage Martins best but the one I play the most is an SO , great ukulele .

martin personally.

Vintage Martins sopranos are abundant at that price point, and they are great. For new instruments, Kiwaya sopranos are wonderful if you like a crisp, clear sound. If you want a fuller, richer sound, consider a koa Hawaiian made instrument. I like Kamaka sopranos. There are so many excellent options though. That Timms looks tempting...

I agree with everyone that vintage martins sound great but they really don't play good in my opinion. My vintage Martin has bar frets and just isn't the nicest thing to play however it does sound very unique and cool. Do the "newer" vintage martins play better? Im pretty sure mine is real old so that might be why. Thanks everyone for the suggestions

Last edited:
My son has a simple rosewood and cedar J S Kinnard soprano and it is astounding. I think if i was looking for a traditional mahogany soprano i may look at a Kiwaya but if you want some other tone, for example my son wanted a more 'baby guitar' kind of sound, design and order your own custom uke for an excellent builder.

Top Bottom