Concert with low G string help

marcocolo

Reaction score
I'm thinking of turning one of my concerts into a low G. I just ordered a Fremont wound string from HMS on Andrew's recommendation.
I'm just wondering which of these sets would blend best with the Fremont?
I've got on hand:
Oasis warm
Aquila Supernylgut
Martin M600
Worth clears
Worth Brown lights

Just trying to get a head start. Thanks.

Thanks for the reply vanflynn. No, the uke I'm thinking of doing this to is a mahogany sides and back and spruce top.
I'm just trying to get some input from anyone who has done this before. Not looking forward to all those string changes!

I have tried many different combinations, (and I only play concerts). The most important thing in my opinion is using the treble strings you like with the instrument. They make up 75% of your sound, and maybe 90% of your melody playing. Makes no sense to change. I now use only Worth Clears, but only because they sound best to me on my instruments. With that settled, I experimented with many low G recommendations. I like the Fremont Soloist. It sounds a bit nasal to me, but better than many. (If you find it squeaks, don't be discouraged. It's not so much you can't get used to it.) The low G string I like best is a D'Addario NYL026W. It squeaks, but sounds great to me, and has complimented all the treble strings I have tried, on ukuleles made of koa, rosewood/cedar, and laminate.
By the way, I've read two posts recently, by Rick Turner, saying that you can make a regular wound string squeakless by sanding the top portion in 6 or 8 passes with 600 grit sand paper.
Enjoy the experimentation.

I'm thinking of turning one of my concerts into a low G. I just ordered a Fremont wound string from HMS on Andrew's recommendation.
I'm just wondering which of these sets would blend best with the Fremont?
I've got on hand:
Oasis warm
Aquila Supernylgut
Martin M600
Worth clears
Worth Brown lights

Just trying to get a head start. Thanks.

I actually put oasis warm low g on my soprano and i have to say it improved the intonation and sound by a great deal. If your looking for a nice slightly more mellow sound on a small uke try the oasis warms (sound awful on tenors to taught but great on soprano/concert).

Top Bottom