PDA

View Full Version : Concert with low G string help

marcocolo
07-28-2014, 02:05 AM
I'm thinking of turning one of my concerts into a low G. I just ordered a Fremont wound string from HMS on Andrew's recommendation.
I'm just wondering which of these sets would blend best with the Fremont?
I've got on hand:
Oasis warm
Aquila Supernylgut
Martin M600
Worth clears
Worth Brown lights

Just trying to get a head start. Thanks.

vanflynn
07-28-2014, 04:02 AM
Is this for a Koa? Worth Browns make a non wound low g that sounds nice on koa
http://elderly.com/accessories/items/WSBMLG.htm

marcocolo
07-28-2014, 04:20 AM
Thanks for the reply vanflynn. No, the uke I'm thinking of doing this to is a mahogany sides and back and spruce top.
I'm just trying to get some input from anyone who has done this before. Not looking forward to all those string changes!

stevepetergal
07-28-2014, 04:26 AM
I have tried many different combinations, (and I only play concerts). The most important thing in my opinion is using the treble strings you like with the instrument. They make up 75% of your sound, and maybe 90% of your melody playing. Makes no sense to change. I now use only Worth Clears, but only because they sound best to me on my instruments. With that settled, I experimented with many low G recommendations. I like the Fremont Soloist. It sounds a bit nasal to me, but better than many. (If you find it squeaks, don't be discouraged. It's not so much you can't get used to it.) The low G string I like best is a D'Addario NYL026W. It squeaks, but sounds great to me, and has complimented all the treble strings I have tried, on ukuleles made of koa, rosewood/cedar, and laminate.
By the way, I've read two posts recently, by Rick Turner, saying that you can make a regular wound string squeakless by sanding the top portion in 6 or 8 passes with 600 grit sand paper.
Enjoy the experimentation.

janeray1940
07-28-2014, 04:35 AM
The Martin M600/Fremont Soloist combo is what I use on my koa concert ukes, but I've used M600s on mahogany ukes and they have sounded great, so - I'd recommend you start there.

iamesperambient
07-28-2014, 04:48 AM
I'm thinking of turning one of my concerts into a low G. I just ordered a Fremont wound string from HMS on Andrew's recommendation.
I'm just wondering which of these sets would blend best with the Fremont?
I've got on hand:
Oasis warm
Aquila Supernylgut
Martin M600
Worth clears
Worth Brown lights

Just trying to get a head start. Thanks.

I actually put oasis warm low g on my soprano and i have to say it improved the intonation and sound by a great deal. If your looking for a nice slightly more mellow sound on a small uke try the oasis warms (sound awful on tenors to taught but great on soprano/concert).

marcocolo
07-28-2014, 06:27 AM
Thanks everyone. This is great stuff! I think I'll start w/ janeray's recommendation.