New or vintage

widerberg

Reaction score
Hi, All:

I've got a few ukes, concerts and tenors. But, I've recently gotten it into my head to try a baritone. What would everyone recommend, buying something vintage (Sivertone, Harmony, something Japanese) or just going with a current Chinese-made new one? Budget would be around $200. There are a lot of very beautiful new ones, but I kind of like the idea of an older one (the mojo).

I've got a guitar, and am looking to noodle on something closer in size to my ukes, but without needing to change chord shapes, etc.

Many thanks!

Hi, All:

I've got a few ukes, concerts and tenors. But, I've recently gotten it into my head to try a baritone. What would everyone recommend, buying something vintage (Sivertone, Harmony, something Japanese) or just going with a current Chinese-made new one? Budget would be around $200. There are a lot of very beautiful new ones, but I kind of like the idea of an older one (the mojo).

I've got a guitar, and am looking to noodle on something closer in size to my ukes, but without needing to change chord shapes, etc.

Many thanks!

honestly i have 2 baritones one solid body electric steel strung (konablaster) and my acoustic
is a cheapo rogue baritone from musicians friend. I paid i think 30 bucks for it on sale at the time.
If you set it up (if it needs it) and put new strings on it it will be just as good as a makala or any budget brand
just to get you started. If your not going to be a serious baritone uke player if its just to noodle around i recommend
a rogue throw some living water strings on it and for 30 bucks plus 12 you have a totally playable affordable starter
baritone uke with a decent sound.

If you don't wanna do that and MUST have a vintage or more expensive one the best baritone i ever played
was a vintage favilla try to seek one of those out, or go for an old harmony.

Top Bottom