First Post – Looking for a Baritone

Hoodster

Reaction score
Hi, new member here (been lurking for a few months), long time guitar player and instructor. I've noticed that used baritones don't come up for sale very often (even on eBay), so I thought I would throw out a little feeler here.

I'm looking for a starter (under $300 shipped), preferably with a pickup – something along the lines of the Luna High Tide Zebra. I will pay top used price for something well cared for.

Thanks - you all have a great forum here and I'm looking forward to participating!

Welcome to UU. Finding a baritone with pickup for under $300 might be a tough challenge to overcome. Dixie Ukuleles has two Pono mahogany baritone ukes a bit above your price point at $373 but very good buys. They are new but were purchased as overstock from another dealer. You can see them here.

Good luck with whatever you pick up!

Hoodster,
I can offer you something Id never thought I'd sell: my 70's Favilla baritone. They are as good , if not better than a martin and far more special. Check them out; they are well documented. and pretty rare these days. I have had it for several years and don't play it. solid mahogany built in USA. Its in perfect shape audibly speaking with cocobolo strap pins; all original.Some cosmetic scuffling on the back. Its built so damn well and its a breeze to play. I wasn't going to post it but I would advise you NOT to by a Luna or other entry baritone. I am asking $650. Im in Va beach , Va, 23452. If interested shoot me an email and ill send some pictures. Im selling off my baritones. Its sweet.
Bob M

Pono MB for sale

Hi,

I have a very nice Pono Mahogany Baritone that I'm no longer using. It's in excellent condition. I also have an uninstalled, new Fishman pickup with preamp and sound-hole controls. No case.

$300 plus $20 shipping for the Bari and pickup.

Best regards,
Jeff
Iowa City

Attachments

• 1 (1).jpg
    1 (1).jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 18
  • 1 (2).jpg
    1 (2).jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 16
  • 1 (4).jpg
    1 (4).jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 16
  • 1 (6).jpg
    1 (6).jpg
    56 KB · Views: 22
  • 1 (10).jpg
    1 (10).jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Hi,

I have a very nice Pono Mahogany Baritone that I'm no longer using. It's in excellent condition. I also have an uninstalled, new Fishman pickup with preamp and sound-hole controls. No case.

Best regards,
Jeff
Iowa City

This looks like a good deal to me ... already have one ... but Pono are excellent beginner Baritones ... solid wood and great tone.

OP you should get this one - sweet deal

Go Hawkeyes!

Hi,

Best regards,
Jeff
Iowa City

I just received a brand new six string baritone. It is solid mahogany with trussed neck. 'just noticed the bridge is compensatedwith pins rather than tied. The neck is radiused, and it is bound down the neck and top and bottom in ivory coloured plastic. Strings are D'Addario. If someone is interested...and that's clear down to just curious, thecraftedcow@comcast.net . Pricing will be well below your maximum price. wdt

it's easier to blame the computer than the computer operator...but it ain't truth Apologies for a double post

Last edited:
Thanks for all the great responses and offers, guys. I've looked at HMS and the other new vendors recommended here, but I'd really prefer to buy used, to optimize bang for the buck, and to hopefully get a case or bag included.

There are a few A/E baritone options in my price range: Kala, Lanikai, and Kohala all make a laminate model for under $200 new, and as mentioned the Luna -- and a couple of Oscar models – are under $300 new. I've also seen low price solid tops like the Córdoba with added pickups.

There are some tempting offers here, but for now I'm going to try to stick to my budget and find something with a pickup already installed for under $300.

The search continues…

Welcome Hoodster.
Checkout the Koloa Baritones.They are solid mahogany, very well made, retail at around $250 and play like a $500+ instrument. I believe Elderly Instruments has some in stock, and they usually have an on-line coupon code for an additional 10% off with free shipping. They will do a free setup. So the bottom price will be less than $230 plus a pickup. They sell and install pickups, so it's a questions of which one.

I this Baritone still available ????? call 732 670 7098 -----Thanks Paul

Best regards,
Jeff
Iowa City[/QUOTE]

I don't own one by have a couple of friends who swear by the riptide (ceder top) Baritone (about $300 new) they absolutely love it. But the Ceder top is hard to find these days and don't know about the others. I have played it and it is very nice.

Im interested how can we discuss the purchase $320 is OK, but I have a few questions you can call me at 732 670 7098.

Thanks Paul

Top Bottom