Need case recommendation

Torch

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm looking for a case for a concert sized Koaloha. I don't need anything fancy just something that fits better than the Uke Crazy case that HMS shipped the Uke in. The Uke Crazy case is much too large for this uke. I'm surprised that HMS would recommend this case for this ukulele.

Thanks

I would contact HMS and have them send pictures of the same type of ukulele you have in different cases so that you may decide for yourself. I am sure they would be willing to work with you to make it right. Perhaps a Ko`olau case?

The UU Attitude brand case fits my KoAlana pretty nicely. Good price too. It's a well padded gig bag, not a hard case.

ETA: just checked the Buy UU Merchant tab up there. It's on sale for $40.

Last edited:
I'm surprised that HMS would recommend this case for this ukulele.
The Uke Crazy cases are bulky, but they are lightweight and offer a lot of protection, which makes them especially suitable for shipping. I believe HMS offers the option to upgrade to an Oahu hardshell case when the uke already comes with a polyfoam case like the Uke Crazy.

Or, are you saying that the interior of the case is too large and your KoAloha wobbles around inside? I ran into this with a CG with a slightly smaller than typical body. I took a hand towel, folded it over a few times into a long strip, and used it to line the bottom of the lower bout area, which made the guitar fit more snugly in the case. A washcloth might do the trick for a uke case. :)

I've never heard that KoAlohas have smaller than normal bodies, though I could be wrong. Then again, if you bought a long-neck concert, a tenor case may have been needed to accommodate the neck length, so the body area might be too big.

Honestly, I would contact HMS with your concern. Their customer service is second to none. :)

I have a koaloha concert and use the uke crazy case. I think it's great.
Since the body shape of the case is bigger than the uke I went to a fabric store and bought some really soft black cloth. I folded the pieces up, sewed the ends to make a couple of really soft shims. They work great.

The other things I like about the case are its really light and has a shoulder strap (which I changed for a little beefier one). And how much I can put in this case. Even an iPad will fit in the outside pocket. And a cooper stand can fold up and fit in the internal storage part under the neck along with a tuner.

It's not as cool looking as the tweed cases, and I wouldn't throw it off the roof lie a union blues case, but I feel like my koaloha is very well protected. A company called pro tec or pro max or something like that makes a similar case that has a lot of good features too.

I have 3 Uke Crazy cases for my three tenors and one concert uke. I find them HEAVY. Just my two cents. They come with these little black padded mini pillows in the case... don't seem very useful to me. Better to have a small blanket to wrap around your uke as so not to let it jostle so much when carrying it out and about.

Petey

Last edited:
I upgraded to an Oahu case when I bought my KoAloha soprano from HMS, and I love it. It's really solid and substantial, offers loads of protection and the fit and finish are excellent.

The Uke Crazy cases are bulky, but they are lightweight and offer a lot of protection, which makes them especially suitable for shipping. I believe HMS offers the option to upgrade to an Oahu hardshell case when the uke already comes with a polyfoam case like the Uke Crazy.

Or, are you saying that the interior of the case is too large and your KoAloha wobbles around inside? I ran into this with a CG with a slightly smaller than typical body. I took a hand towel, folded it over a few times into a long strip, and used it to line the bottom of the lower bout area, which made the guitar fit more snugly in the case. A washcloth might do the trick for a uke case. :)

I've never heard that KoAlohas have smaller than normal bodies, though I could be wrong. Then again, if you bought a long-neck concert, a tenor case may have been needed to accommodate the neck length, so the body area might be too big.

Honestly, I would contact HMS with your concern. Their customer service is second to none. :)[/QUOTE

I have two Uke Crazy cases one for the concert and one for the Tenor. May be bulkier than others but offer great protection and storage space for a modest price

I have 3 Uke Crazy cases for my three tenors and one concert uke. I find them HEAVY.
Heavier than what... a cheap flimsy gig bag?

I just weighed two of mine, not bothering to remove the ukes because I figure they're about the same:

Uke Crazy crazy w/Mainland tenor (including attached shoulder strap) - 3.5 lbs.

Oahu hardshell case w/Pono tenor - 5 lbs.

Heavier than what... a cheap flimsy gig bag?
I just weighed two of mine, not bothering to remove the ukes because I figure they're about the same:
Uke Crazy crazy w/Mainland tenor (including attached shoulder strap) - 3.5 lbs.
Oahu hardshell case w/Pono tenor - 5 lbs.
Thanks! Indeed, you're not someone to be trifled with, especially with your scales at hand! :cool: I guess, the only tenor uke cases I've ever had were 3 Uke Crazy cases and I found them heavy without having others to compare with. I can tell you that I've had several soprano cases and my soprano Uke Crazy "feels" heavier but maybe I should weight it and compare.

Thanks for setting me straight! :cool:

Petey

My Koaloha concert won't fit in the black checked Uke Crazy hard case (not nylon covered hard foam) I bought for it. The lower bout is too large. I was able to swap for a case I had my Mainland concert in though. No name on that case but I bought it at Uke Republic. Don't see it currently on their website.

I'll second the recommendation to go back to HMS and let them know your experience.

Although I find the uke crazy cases suitable for my koaloha tenor, you sound like you want to upgrade.....
I did buy a nice case, it is not as bulky and light as the uke crazy..it is amazing nice and fits the body of my koaloha concert like a glove....the top headstock got an inch clearance for my clip on tuner too...:) it is crossrock Abs concert case....cra900cug in fact I like it alot with white plush inside, nice grey finish, amazing clamp chrome latches and a comfortable handle...it was bought from HMS and Andrew..he only has a couple you know...uke festival 2014 greg utako and markie 117.jpg

Thanks! Indeed, you're not someone to be trifled with, especially with your scales at hand! :cool: I guess, the only tenor uke cases I've ever had were 3 Uke Crazy cases and I found them heavy without having others to compare with. I can tell you that I've had several soprano cases and my soprano Uke Crazy "feels" heavier but maybe I should weight it and compare.

Thanks for setting me straight! :cool:
Petey, I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic or what. But if the only tenor cases you've ever had were 3 Uke Crazys, then I'd hazard a guess that you didn't dislike them that much or you might have sought alternatives. :)

But whatever.

You mentioned "little black padded mini pillows in the case". My Uke Crazy doesn't have those. I do have a Leolani soft case that has little velcro pillows you can move around to suit your uke. It came with a Lehua uke I bought in the marketplace here. I have been unable to find a similar case online and suspect it may have been a prototype that didn't make it to production for numerous other reasons. It has backpack straps and a means of obscuring them under a fold-over velcro closure, a luggage grade handle, a top handle... and it weighs in at 4 lbs. with the Lehua tenor inside. In size it's comparable to a Uke Crazy, but even though it's very well padded, it's not as sturdy as a polyfoam.

Petey, I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic or what. But if the only tenor cases you've ever had were 3 Uke Crazys, then I'd hazard a guess that you didn't dislike them that much or you might have sought alternatives. :) But whatever.

You mentioned "little black padded mini pillows in the case". My Uke Crazy doesn't have those. I do have a Leolani soft case that has little velcro pillows you can move around to suit your uke. It came with a Lehua uke I bought in the marketplace here. I have been unable to find a similar case online and suspect it may have been a prototype that didn't make it to production for numerous other reasons. It has backpack straps and a means of obscuring them under a fold-over velcro closure, a luggage grade handle, a top handle... and it weighs in at 4 lbs. with the Lehua tenor inside. In size it's comparable to a Uke Crazy, but even though it's very well padded, it's not as sturdy as a polyfoam.

No, I wasn't being sarcastic or mocking. I actually respected your observations. If I was mocking, I would have used a ;-) instead of a guy with glasses :cool: after my sentences. I respect facts and evidence. Though, I would have to actually check out your weights cited to be more scientific. I still find the cases heavy but that could be just all tenor cases are heavy!

As for the black mini pillows, here they are on top of my new Martin 2k tenor in the said Uke Crazy tenor case.

pillows.jpg

Petey

Yeah they're heavy!!

No, I wasn't being sarcastic or mocking. I actually respected your observations. If I was mocking, I would have used a ;-) instead of a guy with glasses :cool: after my sentences. I respect facts and evidence. Though, I would have to actually check out your weights cited to be more scientific. I still find the cases heavy but that could be just all tenor cases are heavy!

As for the black mini pillows, here they are on top of my new Martin 2k tenor in the said Uke Crazy tenor case.

View attachment 69508

Petey

Not to dump on all the Uke Crazy love here. My tenor Uke Crazy case was ABSOLUTELY unacceptable. The handle screws pulled out within two days of receipt. Could not be made to stay in with glue, drywall plugs, or larger screws. That case was crap and I don't ever want to see another one.

Top Bottom