PDA

View Full Version : Clever Portable Uke

rockyl
07-28-2014, 05:01 PM
I ran across this on eBay. A clever portable uke design. Just wanted to share.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honu-Tenor-Pahulele-Portable-Travel-Ukulele-Made-in-Hawaii-Turtle-Design-/181478653847?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a40f87f97

ukeeku
07-29-2014, 01:28 AM
that is the worst design I have ever seen. If you made it, I am sorry but it has SO many issues.

ichadwick
07-29-2014, 02:25 AM
Ah, not to my personal taste, but maybe someone will like it. I wouldn't buy a plywood box for any musical instrument aside from cigar-box designs. But there are some innovative ideas in the design.

thenewb
07-29-2014, 02:46 AM
It's well known that a soprano uke is the original portable uke.

Laouik
07-29-2014, 05:01 AM
Don't mind the negativity, rockyl. It's fun seeing what approaches people take to change traditional designs.

Jon Moody
07-29-2014, 05:18 AM
It's an interesting design, but making a "portable" ukulele seems a bit redundant.

rockyl
07-29-2014, 05:24 AM
I have no stake in this, I just thought it was interesting. Seems overpriced for plywood construction to me. Wonder what it would be like made out of solid koa or such.

Down Up Dick
07-29-2014, 05:26 AM
It looks like a snow shovel. It's a joke isn't it?--isn't it? It is--isn't it?

Freeda
07-29-2014, 05:31 AM
Did you watch the video?

http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=3oeBS2oRh3g

KoaDependent
07-29-2014, 06:23 AM
It sounds exactly like someone put strings on a plywood box. Uncanny.

iamesperambient
07-29-2014, 06:40 AM
The OP was just tryign to show something interesting. In my opinion
it is a very unique design and the neck comes off the body actually making it
more portable than a standard soprano. And i think the tenor has a decent sound
it doesn't sound much worse than a lanikai in my opinion. If you don't like it fine
but i see some people are being just rude.

iamesperambient
07-29-2014, 06:41 AM
I have no stake in this, I just thought it was interesting. Seems overpriced for plywood construction to me. Wonder what it would be like made out of solid koa or such.

i agree it is over priced its a good idea but being its not solid wood it should be like 100. Still unique though.

Laouik
07-29-2014, 07:46 AM
If you don't like it fine but i see some people are being just rude.

Sometimes it feels like everyone has a half dozen Ferraris and Aston Martins and we plebs aren't worthy to post about Hondas and Fords :p

The Big Kahuna
07-29-2014, 07:50 AM
some people are being just rude.

No, some people have an opinion

Look it up

The Big Kahuna
07-29-2014, 07:57 AM
Thanks to the OP for sharing though.

ericchico
07-29-2014, 08:17 AM
Thats pretty unique. The neck comes off the body and stores inside where the tuners are located which means everytime you take it down and set it back up your messing with the intonation. But if you think about it you can stick this thing in a backpack and its going to be pretty sturdy . I think this builder could have made a better one without using the birch plywood and doug fir. He could have made the thing out of all Mahogany and that would have made it more appealing to me. Its a pretty cigar box uke that you would not need to worry about sitting on. The price is way to high though but thats my opinion.

kohanmike
07-29-2014, 08:33 AM
I think it's great that a person has an idea, then actually acts on it and creates something like this.

PhilUSAFRet
07-29-2014, 09:38 PM
I have to give it A+ for innovation. Some very creative ideas and it's undeniably "unique." Many such inventions ended up being "prototypes" for more refined and ultimately mainstream products. Some of it's elements remind me of the travel ukes/guitars. Watching the video sure helped me form a more "objective opinion."

Uncle Rod Higuchi
07-29-2014, 10:05 PM
I watched the videos on YouTube and was Intrigued enough to contact the builder, Reid Shigemura, met with him, and bought a soprano 'Pahulele'.

It may not be my go-to performing uke, but it has a unique appeal to me. I like gadgets and this is like a 'utili-uke' in my eyes.

I asked Reid re: a thinner soundboard, and he said he'd probably do it on a solid wood model vs the plywood originals. He is also thinking about veneers.

I think the design is creative and utilitarian, practical and substantial for various uses,not the least of which may include performing with one.

I'll spend some time with it and submit a review for Reid's website.

I think we should express our opinions considerately. Rather than resorting to name calling or using disagreeable or "dirty" words, a simple "I don't like it" gets one's opinion across without unnecessarily ruffling feathers.

Reid had an idea and he made it happen. Bravo for him.

Keep uke'in',

tangimango
07-29-2014, 11:53 PM
I know of Reid, hes a real down to earth Family man. Great at repairing ukuleles guitars etc.

bonesigh
07-30-2014, 05:31 AM
I wholeheartedly agree. I'd buy one just for the novelty if I had the cash. Just to support his idea.

I watched the videos on YouTube and was Intrigued enough to contact the builder, Reid Shigemura, met with him, and bought a soprano 'Pahulele'.

It may not be my go-to performing uke, but it has a unique appeal to me. I like gadgets and this is like a 'utili-uke' in my eyes.

I asked Reid re: a thinner soundboard, and he said he'd probably do it on a solid wood model vs the plywood originals. He is also thinking about veneers.

I think the design is creative and utilitarian, practical and substantial for various uses,not the least of which may include performing with one.

I'll spend some time with it and submit a review for Reid's website.

I think we should express our opinions considerately. Rather than resorting to name calling or using disagreeable or "dirty" words, a simple "I don't like it" gets one's opinion across without unnecessarily ruffling feathers.

Keep uke'in',

kohanmike
07-30-2014, 06:38 AM

I agree with you 100%.

The Big Kahuna
07-30-2014, 07:30 AM
Different people have different ways of expressing dislike or displeasure. Get over it.

SteveZ
07-30-2014, 07:46 AM
Trying to come up with a novel approach to "travel ukulele" just shows the ingenuity of folk. Having an instrument which can fit in the middle of a carry-on suitcase and not need an amplifier is a good goal and probably marketable. I've got a RISA Solid-Soprano that's suitcase-ready, but needs amplification for anything other than "quiet time" play. I think the designer of this take-apart ukulele may just have a good idea which, with a few revisions, could be a money-maker.

The Big Kahuna
07-30-2014, 08:04 AM
If you have an iPhone, you can get something like the Apogee Jam to connect an instrument to it.

RichM
07-30-2014, 08:32 AM
Different people have different ways of expressing dislike or displeasure. Get over it.

Why should someone who has a different perspective than yours "get over it?" Why aren't their opinions as valid as yours?

The Big Kahuna
07-30-2014, 09:13 AM
Why should someone who has a different perspective than yours "get over it?" Why aren't their opinions as valid as yours?

Are you being ironic or just trolling?

RichM
07-30-2014, 09:31 AM
Are you being ironic or just trolling?

Neither one. Some people expressed concern with the way opinions were expressed in this thread. Rather than explaining why you felt your approach was appropriate, you insisted they "get over it." Why should they "get over it?" They have as much right to express their opinions as you do.

greenie44
07-30-2014, 10:44 AM

+1. Especially since there are all kinds of pleasing sounds that can come from our instruments. I saw these in Oahu on my recent trip, but did not follow up like Rod did - thanks for the additional information!

Kanaka916
07-30-2014, 07:33 PM
Kahuna, you're forgetting Rule #1 . . . GOLDEN RULE: DON'T BE A JERK. All members are equal. Your fame/experience/expertise does not give you the right to disregard the golden rule. And I deleted the post where you called it a S%#$ uke .

kohanmike
07-30-2014, 09:18 PM
Bravo Kanaka. I hesitated making a very similar post earlier today, that this is a private forum, not public, where we are required to register and where there are rules, something he constantly ignores. So now instead of him saying to us, "get over it", we can say to him, "get with it."

Pukulele Pete
08-04-2014, 08:30 AM
These threads where everyone is freaking out , calling names ,etc , are the most interesting to read. Keep them going , fun to watch what happens next. Stay Tuned .

strumsilly
08-04-2014, 08:56 AM
you enabler you.:biglaugh:

Inksplosive AL
08-04-2014, 09:18 AM
Watched the video thought of this: http://www.ebaumsworld.com/video/watch/989437/

I did not read past page one...

itsme
08-04-2014, 09:29 AM
I think it's pretty cool looking, even if the neck didn't come off, and I like the Honu rosette design. The "top grade plywood" is rather off-putting, though.

It would seem they could make one with better quality solid woods for not that much more.

VegasGeorge
08-04-2014, 03:15 PM
And, with the neck removed, it makes a perfect bird house!

Uncle Rod Higuchi
08-07-2014, 01:22 AM
Reid is working on a Pahulele.com site.

I did a review of mine, but posted it to Ho'okani's 'contact us' page.
Reid thought he could move it to the Pahulele Reviews page.

I hope the review is helpful.

I like my Pahulele. It's fun to play with and a challenge to work with to create a good sound.
It is, after all, a plywood box with a detachable fretted neck.

Keep uke'in',

ukeeku
08-07-2014, 02:11 AM
Sometimes it feels like everyone has a half dozen Ferraris and Aston Martins and we plebs aren't worthy to post about Hondas and Fords :p

A Honda or ford would be most Kala and Lanikai ukuleles. This is a Yugo. Practical but design is lacking.

Uncle Rod Higuchi
08-21-2014, 09:51 AM
just posted another review on the Ho'okani Music site, but under the Pahulele so it should be visible to all.

keep uke'in,