Clever Portable Uke

Ah, not to my personal taste, but maybe someone will like it. I wouldn't buy a plywood box for any musical instrument aside from cigar-box designs. But there are some innovative ideas in the design.

It's well known that a soprano uke is the original portable uke.

Don't mind the negativity, rockyl. It's fun seeing what approaches people take to change traditional designs.

I have no stake in this, I just thought it was interesting. Seems overpriced for plywood construction to me. Wonder what it would be like made out of solid koa or such.

It sounds exactly like someone put strings on a plywood box. Uncanny.

The OP was just tryign to show something interesting. In my opinion
it is a very unique design and the neck comes off the body actually making it
more portable than a standard soprano. And i think the tenor has a decent sound
it doesn't sound much worse than a lanikai in my opinion. If you don't like it fine
but i see some people are being just rude.

I have no stake in this, I just thought it was interesting. Seems overpriced for plywood construction to me. Wonder what it would be like made out of solid koa or such.

i agree it is over priced its a good idea but being its not solid wood it should be like 100. Still unique though.

Thats pretty unique. The neck comes off the body and stores inside where the tuners are located which means everytime you take it down and set it back up your messing with the intonation. But if you think about it you can stick this thing in a backpack and its going to be pretty sturdy . I think this builder could have made a better one without using the birch plywood and doug fir. He could have made the thing out of all Mahogany and that would have made it more appealing to me. Its a pretty cigar box uke that you would not need to worry about sitting on. The price is way to high though but thats my opinion.

I think it's great that a person has an idea, then actually acts on it and creates something like this.

I have to give it A+ for innovation. Some very creative ideas and it's undeniably "unique." Many such inventions ended up being "prototypes" for more refined and ultimately mainstream products. Some of it's elements remind me of the travel ukes/guitars. Watching the video sure helped me form a more "objective opinion."

Last edited:
I watched the videos on YouTube and was Intrigued enough to contact the builder, Reid Shigemura, met with him, and bought a soprano 'Pahulele'.

It may not be my go-to performing uke, but it has a unique appeal to me. I like gadgets and this is like a 'utili-uke' in my eyes.

I asked Reid re: a thinner soundboard, and he said he'd probably do it on a solid wood model vs the plywood originals. He is also thinking about veneers.

I think the design is creative and utilitarian, practical and substantial for various uses,not the least of which may include performing with one.

I'll spend some time with it and submit a review for Reid's website.

I think we should express our opinions considerately. Rather than resorting to name calling or using disagreeable or "dirty" words, a simple "I don't like it" gets one's opinion across without unnecessarily ruffling feathers.

Reid had an idea and he made it happen. Bravo for him.

Keep uke'in',

Top Bottom