Walnut Fluke string suggestions.......

M3Ukulele

Reaction score
So far have tired the stock strings D'Addario Nygut. Then tried Oasis .... They felt better but we're too quiet. Mixed a Aquilla c, e, with stock strings...ok but stock felt better balanced......then put on a set or Martin 620 tenor strings. the martins were nice but too quiet.

The flurocarbon sets feel better and play easier but are not loud enough.

I get the best sound so far with the D'Addario stock strings but they are harder to play up the neck due IMO due thickness.

I'm wondering if anyone has suggestions for optimum volume and tone vrs playability. Suggestion from users of what works for you and why?

Also, I upgraded to Pegheds within first month and love these tuners. I would never buy another Fluke or Flea without them!

Finally, my laminate sound board is walnut for no other reason than I liked the look with the walnut neck. Do the other laminate tops birch,mahogany sound much different?

Comments please!

http://www.theukulelesite.com/ko-olau-gold-strings-tenor.html

I just got a Pono with these on and were blown away by them. I've ordered a pair to try on my Fluke . I have the same volume issue with volume on the Fluke. But I've got to tell you these are fairly high tension and not thin. But the sound, oh yes, the sound and plenty of volume at least on the Pono.

And no I've heard from the company the laminates all sound the same although some would argue this point.

Last edited:
In my experience the walnut is a quieter top. I had a tenor Fluke and a concert Flea, both walnut and both much quieter than the birch top. I had trouble choosing strings, too, for that reason.

I finally found I liked La Bella Uke Pro strings. They're nylon with lots of volume and consistent playability up the neck. Uke Republic and Strings by Mail have them, probably other retailers as well, those are just where I've gotten them. I don't enjoy the string search at all... Hope you find something that works for you!

http://www.theukulelesite.com/ko-olau-gold-strings-tenor.html

I just got a Pono with these on and were blown away by them. I've ordered a pair to try on my Fluke . I have the same volume issue with volume on the Fluke. But I've got to tell you these are fairly high tension and not thin. But the sound, oh yes, the sound and plenty of volume at least on the Pono.

And no I've heard from the company the laminates all sound the same although some would argue this point.

I've heard the same from Magic Fluke, that all laminate tops sound the same. But that wasn't my experience at all. YMMV. :)

My Fluke is currently strung with La Bella in low G. They sound pretty but I haven't liked La Bellas on my other ukes as they actually made my other uke quieter. I went right back to Aquilas.

I liked the Martin M620's on the wife's walnut tenor fluke, also i tried the aquilla red's and really enjoyed the sound of those too until i ran into some problems with them breaking. I think the aquillas are louder and perhaps a little warmer but our fluke needs to be brightened up as it is incredibly warm and rich so we generally settled on the martins.

I enjoy living water strings on my tenor flea and PhDs are great if you want low G. Good luck on your search.

Aquila Red are loud and bright, so are D'Addario T2 tinaniums.

Thanks for the all the reply's. I tried Golds on my Pono AT but they had 3rd & 4th wound and didn't care for that. I was thinking about Aquilla Reds as they sounded good on Pono before I got the Fluke but also had a string breaks. Fluro's sound too muffled but I like their thickness. Nylon are too THICK I think for a Fluke….?? Interesting about the claim that all laminates are the same. I wish I would try another say Natural and see how it sounds. I am surprised with all the Flukes sold out there that more haven't identified a really nice playing, sweet string set up. I wonder if the new Super Aquillas in the grey pack are the ones. <g> I know we all hear different things. but………. there are TONS of these out in the market. I will keep trying different strings and report back if I hear something I really like.

Can anybody comment if going the rosewood fretboard upgrade makes stock unit better and if so in what way. Also, anybody played or upgraded their Fluke to solid Koa or some other solid top. I was told by MFC that some people send in solid sound boards for upgrades?

Just curious. I bought this for its durability now just trying to get it tweaked to play better. It is a great travel uke.

I've got Aquila Reds on my Flea and they are amazing - they put out a lot of sound feel thinner and more flexible than regular Aquilas. I find the sound both more mellow than standard Aquilas and louder without feeling brassy.

Thanks for the all the reply's. I tried Golds on my Pono AT but they had 3rd & 4th wound and didn't care for that. I was thinking about Aquilla Reds as they sounded good on Pono before I got the Fluke but also had a string breaks. Fluro's sound too muffled but I like their thickness. Nylon are too THICK I think for a Fluke….?? Interesting about the claim that all laminates are the same. I wish I would try another say Natural and see how it sounds. I am surprised with all the Flukes sold out there that more haven't identified a really nice playing, sweet string set up. I wonder if the new Super Aquillas in the grey pack are the ones. <g> I know we all hear different things. but………. there are TONS of these out in the market. I will keep trying different strings and report back if I hear something I really like.

Can anybody comment if going the rosewood fretboard upgrade makes stock unit better and if so in what way. Also, anybody played or upgraded their Fluke to solid Koa or some other solid top. I was told by MFC that some people send in solid sound boards for upgrades?

Just curious. I bought this for its durability now just trying to get it tweaked to play better. It is a great travel uke.

I think you can get Ko'olau string sets that have no wound strings as one of their tenor options.

Yes, pretty sure you can. And I will try a set when I find them. The going to Seattle end of this month and will wait and looks for options on that trip. Otherwise its HMS or Strings by Mail.

Has anyone heard good or bad on the new Super Nylgut but Aquila. I have heard some You tube samples and they sound good. I wonder if they are thinner? They are supposed to settle in very quickly.

Top Bottom