FS: KoAloha Imaikalani 6-string Tenor

Status
Not open for further replies.

connor013

Reaction score
So after spending months chasing one of these down, I am putting up my Koaloha six string for sale.
IMG_0550.jpg

This is a 2010 model, which means it has the cool bow tie bridge. You can find all the specs here, with a nice (albeit short) review from HMS: http://www.theukulelesite.com/koaloha-imaikalani-tenor-6-string-14299.html

I've heard that KoAloha often uses plain wood sets, but this one has some wonderful colors to it, and even has some medullary rays, especially on the back:
IMG_0551.jpg IMG_0558.jpg

It's strung with Southcoasts' six string set, and comes with a boring but effective Uke Crazy case.

I've owned a Kamaka six string, so as a comparison: the KoAloha is lighter (maybe the unibrace helps with this -- it's super light!) and has a more chiming, forward sound. I prefer it to the Kamaka, but of course I'm biased.

$800 gets it shipped to your door CONUS; international buyers, shoot me a PM and we can discuss shipping details.

IMG_0564.JPG My date is a bit off, but (given that we have a two year old and a five month old) I'm pretty pleased I was able to get some pics without finger-prints all over the lens.

I'll post a sound sample ASAP.

Any questions, give me a shout.

Cheers.

What is the draw with a 6 string Tenor? Do a couple of the strings have both the High and Low G? ... etc? Just curious.

You got it, Sam.

Strung aA, e, cC, g

The high c doesn't do much for me, (although it does account for that chiming quality), but the low A is pretty sweet to my ears. Speaking of which, here's a quick nap-time sound sample: http://soundcloud.com/user92796094/sounds-from-tuesday-afternoon/s-PIPvP

Forgot to mention: the uke is currently tuned to B (in case something other than my playing sounded weird :p).

Last edited:
Friendly little bump for this guy.

I've received a bunch of similar questions, which probably should have been addressed in the original listing. Here are my (general) responses:

Yes, the sound is different than a four string uke. Yes, you can still pluck individual strings, even the double coursed C and A. Yes, plucking a single C string or a single A string takes some getting used to.

No, this uke is not just for strumming.

No, I would not recommend playing this as a four string uke (ie removing one C and one A string). The spacing at the nut is designed to accommodate six strings, so removing two will result in uneven spacing between the remaining strings.

Any other questions, please give me a shout.

Cheers.

Great. Thanks for the answer. Nice looking Uke. Good luck with the sale.

The picture function has been kaput for the better part of a week here on the UU. Rest assured, this uke looks divine. I've seen it. Connor is an excellent UU member- they don't come any better. And the sound sample alone should've been enough to make this thing sold! GREAT playing! -- Matt

The picture function has been kaput for the better part of a week here on the UU. Rest assured, this uke looks divine. I've seen it. Connor is an excellent UU member- they don't come any better. And the sound sample alone should've been enough to make this thing sold! GREAT playing! -- Matt

On the computer I'm on, I can't even hear the sound sample. :(

I'll have to wait until I get home to do that.

That thing sounds AWESOME! Wish I hadn't listened to the demo. My poor Pono 6 string tenor will never sound the same again. I got a 6 string because it's a little more friendly for the little fingerpicking I can do than an 8 string.

Southcoasts' 6U-NWs, Phil. They're awesome.

Thanks. I have their 8 string set...great strings, but my poor Pono mahogany will never sound like that Ko'Aloha, regardless of strings. I felt the same way the day I laid down my Pono concert and played a Kanilea concert.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom