How to inspect a new uke?

yook

Reaction score
I'll be upgrading from my cheap beginner ukulele soon and was wondering how to inspect new ukes for proper sound and setup. I'm most likely getting a mass produced uke, and from my understanding, these tend to have lots of variability in their build quality. My main concern is how to check that I've got a good one as I have no clue on these things...

So far I've read about the 12th fret intonation thing. But what else can I do? Do I just attach a tuner and pluck each string at each fret to make sure it's all in tune? Should plucking each fret produce a perfect tune on the tuner?

I'll be upgrading from my cheap beginner ukulele soon and was wondering how to inspect new ukes for proper sound and setup. I'm most likely getting a mass produced uke, and from my understanding, these tend to have lots of variability in their build quality. My main concern is how to check that I've got a good one as I have no clue on these things...

So far I've read about the 12th fret intonation thing. But what else can I do? Do I just attach a tuner and pluck each string at each fret to make sure it's all in tune? Should plucking each fret produce a perfect tune on the tuner?

Buy from a dealer that you know who do a good set up.

Checking the 12th fret against the open string is a good start. If you check all the notes going up the neck they won't all be perfect but it doesn't hurt to check.

Play a bunch of chords up and down the neck and make sure that they are in tune.
Check for sharp ends at the edge of frets.
If there is a uke player at the music store, ask him/her to play it while you listen.
Look down the neck from each side to see that it is not bowed or warped.

If you check each note with a tuner realize that too much fretting pressure can cause a note to go sharp. This is more a reflection on technique that intonation.

In addition to the above, I would also take a small steel ruler and check that the frets are level.

Last edited:
Unless you want to start playing luthier as stated, buy a ukulele from a person that you trust to have done a good setup. I bought one used uke here from ukegirl that has a decent setup and another that was originally set up and sold from mims. Both are setup well though one I would lower the string action a bit at the nut if I were that picky but its not bad.

I believe there will never be a flea or fluke with a setup issue, the Risa stick seems bullet proof as well.

Good Luck

http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?89687-Blueprinting-Smiley!

Last edited:
Top Bottom